Best HTML Editor ever!!!

Good Guy

Sep 15, 2017, 10:05:11 PM9/15/17

The latest release of Microsoft Code (32 bit & 64 bit) is the best I have seen so far.  It has Emmet embedded in it and to start with all you need is to create a new file by going to:

File >> New

Now save file as:  .html

To create a basic page press <! and tab it.  HTML5 document will be created and it has auto-complete as well.  I have to say it is better than Dreamweaver.

<https://code.visualstudio.com/updates/v1_16>

The download link is at the top right corner at the above link.

--
With over 500 million devices now running Windows 10, customer satisfaction is higher than any previous version of windows.

Hans-Georg Michna

Sep 17, 2017, 9:57:56 AM9/17/17
On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 03:05:08 +0100, Good Guy wrote:

>The latest release of Microsoft Code (32 bit & 64 bit) is the best I
>have seen so far. It has Emmet embedded in it and to start with all you
>need is to create a new file by going to:
>
>File >> New
>
>Now save file as: .html
>
>To create a basic page press <! and tab it. HTML5 document will be
>created and it has auto-complete as well. I have to say it is better
>than Dreamweaver.
>
><https://code.visualstudio.com/updates/v1_16>
>
>The download link is at the top right corner at the above link.

Any idea how it compares to Microsoft's own Expression Web 4?

Hans

Good Guy

Sep 17, 2017, 1:21:54 PM9/17/17
Expression Web 4 (free) is also a very good one except that it is no longer developed so new tags are not available.  Also some CSS3 tags are also not in Expression Web4.  "VS Code" is definitely a way forward and you get updates every 3 months with new features and new extensions.

Good thing about Code is that it can be used for other programming languages like C, C++, C#, php, java, JS etc.  They are all supported by downloading extensions.  Just one text editor for everything.  No need for Notepad++ or brackets or anything that is sold as premium product.

To create an HTML document, start Code >> New file >> Select the language as shown in the picture attached and then enter:    !    and tab it and you'll get basic HTML5 document on which you can start creating your page.

.https://i.imgur.com/z8FRc9U.png

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Sep 18, 2017, 6:56:14 AM9/18/17
Guybrush Threepwood wrote:

> The latest release of Microsoft Code (32 bit & 64 bit) is the best I
> have seen so far. It has Emmet embedded in it and to start with all you
> need is to create a new file by going to:
>
> File >> New
>
> Now save file as: .html
>
> To create a basic page press <! and tab it. HTML5 document will be
> created and it has auto-complete as well. I have to say it is better
> than Dreamweaver.

Welcome to the 21st century!

Previously:

<https://atom.io/> (free software¹, since 2014)
<https://atom.io/packages/language-html> (pre-installed)
<https://atom.io/packages/emmet> (add-on)

(Microsoft _Visual Studio_ Code is based on the same application framework,
GitHub’s Electron. But different to Atom, it is unfree software in that the
binaries may not be freely distributed – unfortunately, typically Micro$~1.)

Prior to that:

<https://www.sublimetext.com/> (unfree software, since 2008)
<https://github.com/sergeche/emmet-sublime> (add-on)

Prior to that:

<https://www.eclipse.org/> (free software, since 2001)
<http://www.eclipse.org/webtools/>

BTW, in the 21st century we (professional Web developers) seldom write plain
HTML (we use HTML-generating languages instead), so an HTML editor is more a
convenience than a necessity now.

PointedEars
___________
¹ <https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html>
--
realism: HTML 4.01 Strict
evangelism: XHTML 1.0 Strict

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Sep 18, 2017, 7:07:59 AM9/18/17
Guybrush Threepwood wrote:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Your real name belongs there.

> Expression Web 4 (free)

There is a free version of Expression Web 4 that “free” as in free beer,
but not as in free speech; see e.g.

<https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/xweb/2010/06/18/expression-web-4-licensing-faq/>

Please configure your newsreader properly and stop posting multipart HTML
messages here.

PointedEars

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Sep 18, 2017, 7:11:13 AM9/18/17
> Guybrush Threepwood [<hello...@example.com>] wrote:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Your real name belongs there.
>
> […]
> Please configure your newsreader properly and stop posting multipart HTML
> messages here.

Oh well :-(

*PLONK*

will want to steal it.)

Scott Bryce

Sep 20, 2017, 11:54:30 AM9/20/17
On 9/18/2017 4:56 AM, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
> BTW, in the 21st century we (professional Web developers) seldom
> write plain HTML (we use HTML-generating languages instead)

Huh? All of the "generated" HTML I produce uses templates that are
written in plain HTML. The HTML generating functionality in my language
of choice has been deprecated, and should never have been included in
the first place. It makes for really ugly and unmaintainable code.

Good Guy

Sep 20, 2017, 12:22:01 PM9/20/17
HTML has always been plain text unless you use razor syntax in asp/visual studio.  In fact even that is plain text that can be edited in any text editor.

"PointedEars" has some other meaning or he is using CMS packages like WP, Joomla, Drupal etc etc..  In my opinion. to create real applications you need to write your own code over which you have full control.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Sep 20, 2017, 2:18:06 PM9/20/17
Scott Bryce wrote:

> On 9/18/2017 4:56 AM, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>> BTW, in the 21st century we (professional Web developers) seldom
>> write plain HTML (we use HTML-generating languages instead)
>
> Huh? All of the "generated" HTML I produce uses templates that are
> written in plain HTML.

I pity you.

> The HTML generating functionality in my language of choice has been
> deprecated,

Which would that be?

> and should never have been included in the first place.

Oh?

> It makes for really ugly and unmaintainable code.

Apparently you do not know Jade/Pug & friends yet.

PointedEars
-- Richard Cornford, cljs, <f806at$ail$1$8300...@news.demon.co.uk>

Scott Bryce

Sep 22, 2017, 10:50:37 AM9/22/17
On 9/20/2017 12:18 PM, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
> Apparently you do not know Jade/Pug & friends yet.

You're still creating templates. All it does is add another unnecessary
layer of abstraction.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Sep 22, 2017, 7:24:29 PM9/22/17
You have no clue what you are talking about. Start with
<http://jadelang.net/reference/case/> and work your way
through the bottom of the menu. (These features are not
all exclusive to Jade/Pug.)

PointedEars
--
When all you know is jQuery, every problem looks $(olvable).