Colors

David E. Ross

Apr 29, 2017, 1:50:25 PM4/29/17
I used to use Brian Hall's ColorServe Java at
<http://davesfiles.com/HTML/hex_decimal_color_picker.htm> when I wanted
to determine a color for a Web page background or to highlight text.

It has been a while since I used it. Now that link no longer works. Is
ColorServe Java available someplace else?

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com>

Consider:
* Most state mandate that drivers have liability insurance.
* Employers are mandated to have worker's compensation insurance.
* If you live in a flood zone, flood insurance is mandatory.
* If your home has a mortgage, fire insurance is mandatory.

Why then is mandatory health insurance so bad??

JJ

Apr 29, 2017, 7:54:25 PM4/29/17
On Sat, 29 Apr 2017 10:50:22 -0700, David E. Ross wrote:
> I used to use Brian Hall's ColorServe Java at
> <http://davesfiles.com/HTML/hex_decimal_color_picker.htm> when I wanted
> to determine a color for a Web page background or to highlight text.
>
> It has been a while since I used it. Now that link no longer works. Is
> ColorServe Java available someplace else?

Try the archived web page.

<https://wayback.archive.org/web/20101214162051/http://davesfiles.com/HTML/hex_decimal_color_picker.htm>

If any of the resources is missing, use an earlier snapshot.

David E. Ross

Apr 29, 2017, 9:49:07 PM4/29/17
Unfortunately, the Internet Archive only has the HTML and not the Java
classes and applets.

tlvp

Apr 29, 2017, 10:26:08 PM4/29/17
On Sat, 29 Apr 2017 10:50:22 -0700, David E. Ross ended with:

> Consider:
> * Most state mandate that drivers have liability insurance.
> * Employers are mandated to have worker's compensation insurance.
> * If you live in a flood zone, flood insurance is mandatory.
> * If your home has a mortgage, fire insurance is mandatory.
>
> Why then is mandatory health insurance so bad??

Note your 4 asterisked coverages insure for damages payable to *others*
(victims, injured workers, and (twice, usually) mortgage providers), while
health insurance covers damages payable to *you*.

Think that could be the reason :-) ? Cheers, -- tlvp

Adam H. Kerman

Apr 29, 2017, 11:55:10 PM4/29/17
You're right; his analogy sucks. But on one of your points:

Flood insurance ensures that misuse of your land WILL cause damage to
others, but they can't make a claim. It would be better not to insure
anyone who builds in flood plain.

Stan Brown

Apr 30, 2017, 7:35:40 AM4/30/17
Please, no politics. If you want to open that can of worms, there are
newsgroups where it is on topic.

http://BrownMath.com/
http://OakRoadSystems.com/
HTML 4.01 spec: http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/
validator: http://validator.w3.org/
CSS 2.1 spec: http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/
validator: http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/
Why We Won't Help You: http://preview.tinyurl.com/WhyWont

Adam H. Kerman

Apr 30, 2017, 9:15:15 AM4/30/17
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Isn't the last point in your .sig about what's wrong with subsidized
health care?

tlvp

Apr 30, 2017, 3:35:41 PM4/30/17
On Sun, 30 Apr 2017 07:35:45 -0400, Stan Brown wrote:

> Please, no politics. If you want to open that can of worms, there are
> newsgroups where it is on topic.

Sorry. Just trying to answer a question in the poster's .sig, and doing so
as apolitically as I knew how. Sorry to have offended. Cheers, -- tlvp

Stan Brown

Apr 30, 2017, 11:11:58 PM4/30/17
On Sun, 30 Apr 2017 13:15:14 +0000 (UTC), Adam H. Kerman wrote:

> >Why We Won't Help You: http://preview.tinyurl.com/WhyWont
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Isn't the last point in your .sig about what's wrong with subsidized
> health care?

Are you daft? Of course not. I can't imagine any legitimate reason
why you would think it was.

Adam H. Kerman

May 1, 2017, 5:12:43 PM5/1/17
Stan Brown <the_sta...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>On Sun, 30 Apr 2017 13:15:14 +0000 (UTC), Adam H. Kerman wrote:

>>>Why We Won't Help You: http://preview.tinyurl.com/WhyWont
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>>Isn't the last point in your .sig about what's wrong with subsidized
>>health care?

>Are you daft? Of course not. I can't imagine any legitimate reason
>why you would think it was.

Anything might be a political comment. Anything might be a joke.

I thought tlvp made a very mild comment, offering a bit of humor,
concerning the perpetual, annoying, dopey analogy in Ross's .sig and
I don't think you should have admonished him for it.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

May 1, 2017, 6:18:48 PM5/1/17
JJ wrote in <news:comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html>:
Not all types of resources are kept in the Internet Archive, which is why
this no longer works even there.

In this case, so much for the better, because nobody should use this anymore
as it promotes tag soup. The “bgcolor” attribute on the ”body” element, the
“align” attribute on the “p” element, and the “font” element have been
deprecated almost 18 years ago (per HTML 4.01, 1999-12-24 – a date easy to
remember). And the “style” element does not have a “fprolloverstyle”
attribute (this has something to with Microsoft FrontPage, a Web development
tool that is now almost 10 years out of date and had always been and now
must strongly be recommended *against*).

<https://www.w3.org/TR/2014/NOTE-html5-diff-20141209/>

If you really want to play around with colors and fonts without having to
edit the original HTML document or CSS stylesheet, use most major browsers’
*built-in* developer tools to generate a temporary CSS stylesheet (called
“inspector stylesheet” in Chrome DevTools), and bookmarklets, extensions,
and add-ons.

I highly recommend to use the Chrome DevTools, available in at least
Chromium, Chrome and (should be) Opera 15+ (as it is based on Blink); and
Firebug for Firefox, Firebug Lite for other browsers, and Chris Pederick’s
Web Developer tools for several browsers, as add-ons. The Chrome DevTools
allow you to keep a history of file versions and even to save your work in
the filesystem.

<http://devtoolsecrets.com/> (for all major browsers)
<https://developers.google.com/web/tools/chrome-devtools/>
<http://getfirebug.com/>
<http://chrispederick.com/work/web-developer/>

As for *determining* colors in an arbitrary Web document, I can recommend
the “Eye Dropper” extension for Chromium/Chrome:

<http://eye-dropper.kepi.cz/>

X-Post & F'up2 <news:comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets>

PointedEars
--
realism: HTML 4.01 Strict
evangelism: XHTML 1.0 Strict

Dr J R Stockton

May 1, 2017, 6:41:10 PM5/1/17
In comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html message <oe3n6t$u61$1...@news.albasa
ni.net>, Sun, 30 Apr 2017 03:55:09, Adam H. Kerman <a...@chinet.com>
posted:

You could consider <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rylands_v_Fletcher>.

--
(c) John Stockton, Surrey, UK. 拯merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Merlyn Web Site < > - FAQish topics, acronyms, & links.

tlvp

May 2, 2017, 12:42:08 AM5/2/17
On Mon, 1 May 2017 21:12:41 +0000 (UTC), Adam H. Kerman wrote:

> I thought tlvp made a very mild comment, offering a bit of humor,
> concerning the perpetual, annoying, dopey analogy in Ross's .sig and
> I don't think you should have admonished him for it.

Thanks, Adam. But I think Stan was just trying to nip what might have grown
into a political conflagration in the bud. No harm done. Cheers, -- tlvp