Thomas Bro. Maps?

Ann-Marie Tilk

Oct 13, 1994, 4:47:40 PM10/13/94
Can anyone tell me what Thomas Bro. maps are? Are they only available for
California? What data formats do they come in (i.e. Arc/Info?) And
finally, who sells them?

Much appreciated,
Ann-Marie, amt...@mindlink.bc.ca

jeffrey trust

Oct 14, 1994, 3:35:34 AM10/14/94
Ann-Marie Tilk (amt...@mindlink.bc.ca) wrote:
> Can anyone tell me what Thomas Bro. maps are? Are they only available for
> California? What data formats do they come in (i.e. Arc/Info?) And
> finally, who sells them?

Thomas Brothers produces maps mostly for California. The most popular are
the detailed road atlases they produce for Southern and parts of Central and
Northern California, and for Phoenix, Arizona, and the Seattle area,
Washington. They also produce detailed wall maps for many of these areas,
and an atlas of California. Oops... almost forgot, they also publish
atlases that have ZIP codes, census tracts, and other things on them.
Now, the part you're probably interested in... Thomas Bros. produces the
Los Angeles and Orange Counties areas in a digital format, that I believe,
works only with their own (separate) program.

--
Jeffrey Trust (jtr...@huey.csun.edu). Student, Dept. of Geological Sciences,
California State University, Northridge (for which I don't speak).

Scott Wood

Oct 14, 1994, 7:22:35 PM10/14/94
In article <56...@mindlink.bc.ca> amt...@mindlink.bc.ca (Ann-Marie Tilk) writes:
>Can anyone tell me what Thomas Bro. maps are? Are they only available for
>California? What data formats do they come in (i.e. Arc/Info?) And
>finally, who sells them?

If you have a Web browser (such as Mosaic) visit http://www.thomas.com/
which is the Thomas Bros. Maps Home Page.

scott
--
scott wood s...@mda.ca | Never wrestle with a pig:
MacDonald Dettwiler | You both get dirty,

Tom Chatt

Oct 17, 1994, 3:00:34 PM10/17/94
hbge...@huey.csun.edu (jeffrey trust) writes:
| Ann-Marie Tilk (amt...@mindlink.bc.ca) wrote:
| > Can anyone tell me what Thomas Bro. maps are? Are they only available for
| > California? What data formats do they come in (i.e. Arc/Info?) And
| > finally, who sells them?
|
| Thomas Brothers produces maps mostly for California. The most popular are
| the detailed road atlases they produce for Southern and parts of Central and
| Northern California, and for Phoenix, Arizona, and the Seattle area,
| Washington. They also produce detailed wall maps for many of these areas,
| and an atlas of California. Oops... almost forgot, they also publish
| atlases that have ZIP codes, census tracts, and other things on them.
| Now, the part you're probably interested in... Thomas Bros. produces the
| Los Angeles and Orange Counties areas in a digital format, that I believe,
| works only with their own (separate) program.

I believe that they will sell data in standard digital formats,
eg., Tiger format. I think the person to talk to at Thomas Bros.
is Linda Broderick at 714/863-1984 or FAX 714/851-2463.

--
Tom Chatt \ Don't take offense, take action.
Internet: t...@flood.com \ Speak up. When we remain silent,

Seth Clark

Oct 18, 1994, 8:49:11 PM10/18/94

Thanks to all who responded for us! Since you asked the following describes
Thomas Bros. Maps Products and Services.

We do follow the discussions in COMP.INFOSYSTEMS.GIS and we do
have a WEB home page at http://www.thomas.com . Like most web pages it's
underconstruction.

No apologys, the following is straight from our marketing literature but it
does answer the question

Thomas Bros. Maps
17731 Cowan
Irvine, California 92714
714-863-1984
800-899-6277

Web page

Description of Digital Data Products and Services
September, 1994

Contact: Glen L. Jansma
Kris Bonner

Overview of the Digital Data Products and Services

Thomas Bros. Maps (TBM) has been updating and publishing detailed street maps since
1915 using manual cartographic processes of inking streets on mylar map bases, placing
type and hand cutting windows for screened color areas. In 1986, research and
development began on building a computer mapping system, what is today called the
Digital Mapping System. The Digital Mapping System is one of the most advanced
computer mapping systems in the World. The Thomas Guide street maps for California,
Washington and Oregon have been converted to highly accurate, attribute enriched, digital
street centerline network databases. Thomas Bros. Maps now offers both printed and
digital map products.

Thomas Bros. Maps' Digital Mapping System is centered around a collection of map
databases, called the TBM Master Database. The TBM Master Database includes several
layers of information, including streets, water, cultural features and boundary features
(county, state, city, ZIP, census). The TBM Master Database is the Thomas Guide in
digital form and includes other information not included in the Thomas Guide.

Thomas Bros. Maps offers a complete line of digital map data products and services
derived from the TBM Master Database. Some digital and custom products are also
available for manual cartography (non-converted) counties. TBM has six types of digital
products or services:

1. Digital Data Tabular Files;
2. GIS Graphics Files;
3. Custom Maps;
4. Service Contracts;
5. Page Image Files;
6. Copyright Releases; and
7. PC Software.

Thomas Bros. Maps digital data can be ordered in the most commonly used formats as a
standard product. TBM also provides custom databases and services. Pricing is generally
done on a per-county basis, although smaller graphics files are available. Minimum order
levels apply to small databases. TBM offers discounts for multi-year and multiple copy
licenses.

PC Software

Thomas Bros. Maps has developed a computer software for IBM PC or compatible
computers, GeoFinder Versions 2.0, the "Thomas Guide on a PC." GeoFinder does
address look ups (pin mapping), map display and map printouts. Combined with TBM
GeoFinder County Map data, GeoFinder is useful in a wide range of public and private
sector applications. Soon to be released is the GeoFinder Application Programmers
Interface (API). The API is a programming library which contains the core map engine
for accessing GeoFinder map data. This allows a programmer to develop an application
for a focused function or market that combines address lookup, map display and the user's
own data and programs.

Page Image Files

Page image files in RGB Postscript format of Thomas Guide map pages are available
in converted counties. These files allow users to print out to Postscript compatible
printers and to put The Thomas Guide onto your computer screen (with user-supplied
software) for a variety of display purposes. These files are available in black-and-white
(varying gray tones) and color (RGB color composite model) formats.

Copyright Releases

Standard Copyright Releases. Under certain circumstances, Thomas Bros. Maps grants
the right to make a limited number of reproductions of its maps. Customers are required
to make a copyright request in writing. Copyright fees are determined on a case-by-case
basis, and are valid for a specific number of copies. Copyright releases are not granted
for reproduction of entire TBM products.

TBM Page & Grid (non-graphics, for resale). TBM Page and Grid Licenses allow
database providers to include Page and Grid references along with other data. Licenses
are granted for one (1) year to include TBM Page & Grid in tabular files (no map
graphics), databases or other output, whether digital or hard copy. Real estate multiple
listing files/services are a common user for TBM Page & Grid License (non-graphics, for
resale).

TBM Page & Grid (graphics, no resale). The TBM Page & Grid overlay is included
in Graphic File licenses for converted counties. Annual licenses for a graphics copy of
TBM Page and Grid (typically used in GIS applications over a competing graphics
database) are available. In non-converted counties, licenses of the TBM Page & Grid are
also available.

Scanning. Scanning licenses give the right to make scanned copies of published TBM
products. Fees are typically for one year per county. Additional fees are charged when
scanned maps are resold.

Service Contracts

Thomas Bros. Maps also does GIS service contracts. These include dispatch files, address
updates and other custom database work.

Digital Data Tabular Files

Tabular files typically list street related information (such as street name) in a flat file
which is space or comma delimited.

1.1 Street Name Indexes. Street Name Indexes are the digital version of the
street indexes printed in the back of every Thomas Guide street map book.
Every street listed in the Thomas Guide is included in the Street Name Indexes.
Each record includes street name, city/community, and TBM Page & Grid
number. Some counties also include street block addresses and ZIP Codes.
Please see the particular Thomas Guide of interest to see what data elements are
included in the file.

1.2 Street Block Indexes. Street Block Indexes include one record for every
street block, and are available in counties which have been converted to TBM's
Digital Mapping System. Each record includes the following:

- Street name - County/left
- Address/left/from - County/right
- Address/left/to - ZIP/left
- Address/right/from - ZIP/right
- Address/right/to - Census tract/left
- City/left - Census tract/right
- City/right - Thomas Guide Page No.
- Thomas Guide Grid No.

1.3 Standard Geofile. The Standard Geofile has the same data elements as the
Street Block Index, along with an X/Y earth coordinate of the midpoint of each
street block.

1.4 Dispatch Files. Thomas Bros. Maps offers high quality dispatch files, used
in public safety, transportation, and routing applications. Dispatch Files include
street segment data (all the data included in TBM Standard Geofile product,
along with both low and high X/Y coordinates), and low/high cross street names.

1.5 Common Place Files. Common Place Files are the Points of Interest index
published in every Thomas Guide street map book. In counties which have been
converted to TBM's Digital Mapping System, the records also include an X/Y
earth coordinate.

GIS Graphics Files.

Product Description: Thomas Bros. Maps GIS (geographic information system)
Graphics Files are available in counties which have been converted to our Digital
Mapping System. These are the same graphics files used to publish the Thomas Guide
street map books. GIS Graphics Files include digital representations of points, lines and
areas. Thomas Bros. Maps GIS files are organized into layers, which provide maximum
flexibility and utility. Please refer to the appropriate Thomas Guide to see what map
features are in a given database. Many of our map files were created using high-accuracy
photogrammetric engineering methods. GIS Graphics Files are offered in four
components so that customers can obtain just the right data for their needs:

2.2 Street Centerlines. Street centerline graphics come with basic attribute data such as
street classification (freeway, highway, ramp, etc.), surface (paved, unpaved), structure
(on grade, overpass, tunnel, etc.), status (open, closed, restricted access, proposed), and
street name.

2.3 Street Name Annotation. Thomas Bros. Maps is the only digital street file provider
to offer street name annotation placed by skilled cartographers. This is the same street
name annotation published in the Thomas Guide.

2.4 Street Addresses. Street addresses are stored as ranges on each street segment
(from-left, to-left, from-right, to-right). Thomas Bros. Maps has developed extensive
quality checks to insure the highest accuracy street addresses. Custom address services are
also available.

2.5 Other Layers. Thomas Bros. maps offers the most complete and extensive map
layers in graphics form. These layers include: city areas, county/state/national areas, Zip
Code areas, Census Track areas (1980 and 1990 in most areas), building footprints (dams,
airport runways, landmark buildings), cultural points (schools, fire stations, hotels, city
halls, post offices, etc.), cultural feature lines (docks), ownership areas (parks, golf
courses, colleges, cemeteries, Federal lands, shopping malls, etc.), township/section/range,
Ranchos, Thomas Bros. Maps Page and Grid , Zip Code areas, water lines, and water
areas. Both graphics and attributes are included.

Thomas Bros. Maps offers a license to use the GIS Graphics Files, but does not sell the
data. Thomas Bros. Maps retains all intellectual property rights to the product. License
terms are one year or longer. Upon annual renewal, licensees receive updated versions
of the GIS Files. Updates occur with the release of each year's new Thomas Guide. Most
Thomas Guides are updated annually.

The data is in Arc/Info (coverages or export files), DXF, or ASCII format. Data is
delivered on 8mm, 1/4-inch cartridge, or 9-track tape. Small data sets are be deliverable
on 3.5", 1.4MB floppy disks. Special handling charges are added for other formats and
media.

File specifications subject to change without notice.

Custom Maps

All Thomas Bros. Maps map bases are available for the printing of customized maps for
a wide variety of business and institutional requirements and applications. Thomas Bros.
Maps draws upon our leadership and experience as the West's largest and preeminent map
publisher, excelling in cartography, graphics, typesetting, photography, reproduction,
printing, folding and bindery operations. Now we can produce the following custom map
products to enhance your business.

Map Formats: Custom maps can be produced as wall maps, flat maps, folded maps and
Thomas Guide map books. Maps can be color or black and white in a wide range of sizes.
Maps can be as electrostatic plots, film originals or printed paper. Maps can include all
the street detail included in the Thomas Guide, or only the major streets and freeways, if
desired.

Types of maps: Thomas Bros. Maps has produced maps for a wide variety of
applications, including:

* Local Street Maps: choose an area to appear on a map, add advertising, graphics,
indexes, etc.
* Appraisal Maps: black & white maps on glossy or matte paper for your reports
* Chamber of
Commerce Maps: including city maps, points of interest, and advertising
* Advertising Maps: advertising with your company name and logo on a flat map
to be used as a wall map, desk pad, etc.
* School
District Maps: showing schools, attendance areas, district boundaries.
* Promotional Map: including specific maps promoting an event, product, or
service.
* Blackline
Enlargements: "camera ready" artwork to include in publications.
* Emergency
Evacuation Maps: for police, fire, utilities, oil companies, etc.
* Custom Overprint
Thomas Guides: utility facilities and other custom information printed directly
on the Thomas Guide page.
* Custom Cover
Thomas Guides: used for promotions, gifts, and incentives.
* Delivery Maps: custom maps to aid dispatch and delivery personnel.

Seth W. Clark scl...@thomas.com
Manager, Geographic Information Systems Development
Thomas Bros. Maps
17731 Cowan PHONE: (714) 863-1984
Irvine, CA 92714, USA FAX: (714) 757-1564