Re: Hot Water Lobster (Hot water circulation system)

Robert L. Bass

Mar 22, 2005, 2:01:37 PM3/22/05
> Does anyone try out this product,
> The Hot Water Lobster? It doesn't
> need the extra power which is good
> for my situation...

This may be a useful device but it will not save on the cost of heating
water. In fact, keeping the water in the pipe between the H2O heater and
the faucet heated will add to your energy usage. The water in the pipe is
constantly losing energy due to radiant cooling. To make up for this the
water heater must run more.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

=============================>
Bass Home Electronics
2291 Pine View Circle
Sarasota · Florida · 34231
877-722-8900 Sales & Tech Support
http://www.bassburglaralarms.com
=============================>

Sam

Mar 22, 2005, 1:48:16 PM3/22/05

Does anyone try out this product, The Hot Water Lobster? It doesn't
need the extra power which is good for my situation. Here is their
website

http://www.hotwaterlobster.com/

Sam

SQLit

Mar 23, 2005, 9:54:39 AM3/23/05

"Sam" <ssmile...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

they say it works by convection. Lets see if the water heater is higher than
the faucets, like my home. That would pose a problem.

Brad Houser

Mar 23, 2005, 3:31:44 PM3/23/05

"Sam" <ssmile...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

It sounds kind of hokey to me. How does convection allow the hot water to
move back down the cold water pipes? They are both under pressure, you won't
get the cold water to flow backwards without something pushing it. If the
convection is from the heater itself, it would take hours if not days, for
the heat to rise to the valve. Replace this with a pump and you have
something:

http://www.chilipepperapp.com/Default.htm

(Not affiliated. I have a Grundfos pump with a hot water return line, a
tankless heater, and a timer)

Brad Houser

John O

Mar 23, 2005, 4:30:01 PM3/23/05

" Your existing hot water tank now uses less energy reheating 80 degree F
water instead of cold ground temperature water. "

Under the same conditions, the tank is normally reheating ~105 degree water.

At $188, I could double-insulate my hot water tank and pipes, get the same
effect with none of the drawbacks, (such as being scammed) and still save
$100.

-John O

Bob

Mar 23, 2005, 8:54:34 PM3/23/05

"Sam" <ssmile...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Then you will have to wait for that cold drink you desire instead of the hot
water. Plus, your water heating bill will increase as you heat the house
with your water. And your air conditioning bill will increase also.

Bob

Mark Thomas

Mar 25, 2005, 3:41:46 PM3/25/05
Last time this subject came up in this ng, the general consensus was
that the Metlund system (http://www.gothotwater.com/) was superior to
the chilipepper. It is supposedly quieter and has more options (such as
installation near the water heater instead of under the sink).

mikey

Mar 26, 2005, 2:08:40 PM3/26/05
It's the same concept a the chillipepper but considerably more expensive.
Quiter is insignificant, it runs for seconds, who cares? I can't see how the
thing would work if it was near the tank, I misssed that at the site, who
cares again anyways... I wouldn't pay more for this one, I'm going for the
chilipepper myself.

"Mark Thomas" <m...@thomaszone.com> wrote in message

Art Todesco

Mar 26, 2005, 3:48:37 PM3/26/05
I suppose if you put it near the tank you have to run an extra pipe to
the end of the run. This, to me, seems like the way to go. Putting it
across the hot and cold water lines will only cause you to have to run (
and waste) cold water for a nice cold drink. Take a pipe from the end
of the hot line and run it to the cold side at the water heater. You
might not even need a pump because if the water heater is low, it will
gravity feed. Now, you might want to stop this to save on energy. The
pump with proper timers or IR sensors in the distant room would work
well here.

mikey

Mar 28, 2005, 7:32:52 AM3/28/05
"Art Todesco" <acto...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I suppose if you put it near the tank you have to run an extra pipe to
> the end of the run. This, to me, seems like the way to go. Putting it
> across the hot and cold water lines will only cause you to have to run (
> and waste) cold water for a nice cold drink.

Only if you automate it. If you don't fire the thing up with the pushbutton,
there's no reason the water would be any less cold than without it. Besides,
I keep my cold drinks in the fridge :-)

Don

Apr 12, 2005, 9:13:56 PM4/12/05
I have had a hot water return pipe from both the farthest bathroom and
kitchen. I added a ball valve to control the amount of water to loop back
to the heater.

Works great. Hot water instantly.

The water heater IS in the basement about 1/2 way between the two runs.

I tried the Chillipepper but it took time to circulate and was noisy.
Wasn't automatic. The return pipes are silent and always hot.

--
Don

<b>www.k9soa.net</b>
Home of JEANNIE
The House That Listens
As appeared on HGTV
and Home Automation, Kentucky Living magazines

"Art Todesco" <acto...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Bob

Apr 21, 2005, 12:30:02 AM4/21/05
I use the Metlund system here in my house - GREAT! I installed motion
sensors in the bathrooms and the water is always hot!

valaprise

Dec 3, 2006, 11:39:05 AM12/3/06
In most cases the Hot Water Lobster Instant Hot Water Valve
requires less energy to heat water in your house.
Important: instead of replacing the hot water in your hot
water tank with ground temperature water
(which has to be heated from a low temperature),
the Hot Water Lobster Instant Hot Water Valve
allows the cooled hot water at about 80-85 degrees to
circulate back to your hot water tank for reheating,
which not only saves the cost of the water,
water treatment charges (sewer charges),
it also takes less energy to bring the warmer water
(being re-circulated) up to temperature.

The Hot Water Lobster is a do-it-yourself solution that saves
not only water but also money. Since the thermal convection
(the rising of hat water and sinking of cooler water) takes place
within the hot water tank, it works with with hot water tanks
below the valve, on the same level as the valve as well as
hot water tanks on levels above the valve, vertical runs
over 5-stories and linear runs over 200 ft.

The Hot Water Lobster Instant Hot Water Valve is intended to
create a closed loop within your hot water system. Any facets
or showers along your hot waterlines (between your tank
and the valve) will have faster hot water.

The thermal convection (warm water rising and cool water
sinking), which takes place within your existing hot water tank,
and the normal use of cold water create a higher water
pressure on the hot water side of your plumbing system.
This pressure differential circulates the warm water through
your plumbing system.

When the hot water cools at the Hot Water Lobster Valve,
the valve slowly opens allowing the cooler water to cross
through the valve to the cold-water side of the plumbing.
The thermal convection (within the hot water tank) draws
the cooler water (from the cold water pipes) to the bottom
of the hot water tank, while it forces the hotter water
(from the hot water tank) into the hot water pipes.
When the hot water reaches the valve, the valve slowly
closes and stops the crossover flow of water. The cycle
repeats when the valve cools below the adjustable
temperature setting.

The Hot Water Lobster Instant Hot Water Valve does have a
30-day unconditional money back guarantee, which should
provide you with adequate evaluation time.

--

In most cases the Hot Water Lobster Instant Hot Water Valve
requires less energy to heat water in your house.
Important: instead of replacing the hot water in your hot
water tank with ground temperature water
(which has to be heated from a low te

| http://forums.cabling-design.com/ |
| *** a better way to USENET *** |
| no-spam Web and RSS interface to your favorite newsgroup |
| comp.home.automation - 10804 messages and counting! |

Hooper

Dec 3, 2006, 4:48:38 PM12/3/06
I got one of these. It looks good on paper but really doesn't work very
well.

Robert L Bass

Dec 3, 2006, 11:28:02 PM12/3/06
> In most cases the Hot Water Lobster...

Hmm. This thread died nearly 2 years ago. The seller "responds" as though it's a current thread. I don't want to call it spam,
but...

G. Morgan

Dec 3, 2006, 11:55:46 PM12/3/06

Maybe it's just 'helpful' advice for DIY'ers... You know anyone that
posts similar SPAM? How about a SPAMMER that gives away passwords to
protected areas of manufacturer's websites?

--

-Graham

(delete the double e's to email)

Stacy & Bill

Mar 4, 2011, 8:23:15 AM3/4/11
Stacy & Bill had written this in response to
http://forums.cabling-design.com/homeautomation/Hot-Water-Lobster-Hot-water-circulation-system-918-.htm
:

Sam wrote:

> http://www.hotwaterlobster.com/

> Sam

-------------------------------------
My husband installed a Hot Water Lobster device in our house...WE LOVE IT!

| http://forums.cabling-design.com/ |
| *** a better way to USENET *** |
| no-spam Web and RSS interface to your favorite newsgroup |

| comp.home.automation - 17904 messages and counting! |

Stacy & Bill

Mar 4, 2011, 8:28:04 AM3/4/11

Bob F

Mar 4, 2011, 9:54:25 AM3/4/11
Stacy & Bill wrote:
> Stacy & Bill had written this in response to
> http://forums.cabling-design.com/homeautomation/Hot-Water-Lobster-Hot-water-circulation-system-918-.htm
>>

> Sam wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>> Does anyone try out this product, The Hot Water Lobster? It
>> doesn't need the extra power which is good for my situation. Here
>> is their website
>
>> http://www.hotwaterbobster.com/

>> Sam
>

> -------------------------------------
> My husband installed a Hot Water Lobster device in our house...WE
> LOVE IT!

So, now you have to run the water to get cold water. Net savings, none. Heat
loss - doubled.

Josepi

Mar 4, 2011, 3:08:51 PM3/4/11
Looks like a bunch of BS to me. hot water is not going to circulate via
convection through your whole house's pipes up and down without a pump. It
just isn't going to happen.

Tell them you will pay them 200% of their asking price with the money you
save on future water bills based on year over year's bills.

"Bob F" wrote in message news:ikquf3$2q5$1...@news.eternal-september.org...

Message has been deleted

lukede...@gmail.com

Feb 25, 2015, 9:06:55 AM2/25/15
You naysayers need to take a science class! Thermal convection of air and water is simple physics and has been effective since the beginning of time. Sometimes the simplest way is the best way!

lukede...@gmail.com

Feb 25, 2015, 9:08:10 AM2/25/15