Cannot configure more than 250 different fonts

Torbjørn Aasen

Jul 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/29/98
I have a user that get this "Lotus Notes Desktop" message when viewing a
Navigator:
Cannot configure more than 250 different fonts
This is no problem when viewing folders.

I have been searching in Iris Cafe/Domino Forum (still no solution!)
http://notes.net/46dom.nsf/7d6a87824e2f09768525655b0050f2f2/f7d96904bab95459852565bc007bd3cd?opendocument

Any help please respond here or to
t...@datapartner.no
Thanks!

Mun Cheong Ng

Jul 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/29/98
I think this has to do with the Windows 95 Display Setting....

Torsten Ravnbak

Jul 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/29/98
to t...@datapartner.no
Mayby this will help you out!!

Kind Regards,
Torsten Ravnbak

Problem:

When you attempt to open a Notes R4 database, the following error message occurs:

"Cannot configure more than 250 fonts"

The database or view will not open, even in design mode. You may experience this problem even after
installing a Font Manager such as Adobe Type Manager (ATM) on a Macintosh or Windows computer.

Solution:

This error will occur any time more than 250 fonts are available in the operating system for indexing in
Notes. These fonts may be available either in the system's font folder, or through a Font Manager such as
ATM.

Notes R4.x uses an 8-bit indexing ID to build a table of available fonts on the system, allowing Notes to
index up to 250 fonts. This 250 font indexing limit is a current limitation of Notes. An enhancement
request has been submitted to Lotus Quality Engineering to expand the number of fonts Notes is capable of
indexing.

Since the font table that Notes builds is highly dependent on the operating system font ID assignments, there
is no clear pattern to which fonts will be included in Notes. The current recommendation is to use a Font
Manager such as Adobe Type Manager on each machine to partially control the indexing order of fonts. The
customer should reduce the number of fonts in the system folder (either Macintosh or Windows) to include only
standard fonts. The customer should only use these fonts when designing views in Notes. Additional fonts
may be activated by a Font Manager. With this approach, all system fonts will be indexed first, and
therefore, any fonts used in a Notes View should be available.

Otherwise look here:
http://support.lotus.com/sims2.nsf/247ceffea3faa60f852565980059727c/33b715aa884d45cb852565680064f1c6?OpenDocument

Noel Bush

Jul 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/31/98
I suggest you create your Navigators by doing the graphics, including text,
in a program such as Photoshop. Then import the whole thing as a background
graphic, and let your hotspots just be transparent shapes. This has several
advantages:

1. It avoids the font problem you're having.

2. It gives you tighter control over appearance on different computers (are
you going to use script to guarantee that a particular font is installed,
too? what a hassle!)

3. It makes the Navigator easier to deal with if you're web-enabling the
application.

4. It lets you make much better-looking Navigators.

Of course, it has one obvious disadvantage: you have to maintain your
graphics separately. Too bad, more work for you. But this can be
tremendously advantageous: if you use Photoshop, you can use layers to build
your Navigators and keep them stored as Photoshop native files (you export
them as GIFs or whatever), which makes changing individual elements much
easier, and lets you escape the dreaded "pile of boxes" GUI syndrome.

I think that spending the extra time to use a separate graphics program for
Navigators is very worthwhile. So many Notes apps seem to have horribly ugly
interfaces because people don't take the time to care. This might seem
trivial to you, but it won't to your users.

Torsten Ravnbak wrote in message <35BF21CE...@dk.ibm.com>...

>Mayby this will help you out!!
>
>Kind Regards,
>Torsten Ravnbak
>
>Problem:
>
>When you attempt to open a Notes R4 database, the following error message
occurs:

>"Cannot configure more than 250 fonts"
>
>The database or view will not open, even in design mode. You may

[snip]

Jean-Marie Jamet

Aug 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/6/98
On Wed, 29 Jul 1998 12:02:09 +0200, "Torbjørn Aasen"
<t...@datapartner.no> wrote :

>I have a user that get this "Lotus Notes Desktop" message when viewing a
>Navigator:
>Cannot configure more than 250 different fonts
>This is no problem when viewing folders.

Well I had this problem also. It was related to an application we are
using called Power Terminal (it is an emulation program).
When this program is launch before Notes, you get this message. If you
launch Notes before, you do not get it.

Just to give you a hint...

Jason Marston

Aug 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/18/98
We have had this problem before too. But you may find you still get it
even if you do not launch another app first. The reason is that you have
more than 250 fonts in your windows fonts directory. Delete a few and
Notes will work again

Jean-Marie Jamet <Ja...@digalch.com> wrote in article
<35cc7b42...@194.2.236.83>...

Jean-Marie Jamet

Aug 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/23/98
On Tue, 18 Aug 1998 19:39:30 GMT, "Jason Marston"
<Ja...@marsoft.demon.co.uk> wrote :

>We have had this problem before too. But you may find you still get it
>even if you do not launch another app first. The reason is that you have
>more than 250 fonts in your windows fonts directory. Delete a few and
>Notes will work again

Wrong... I can tell you I have been working on that problem for more
than 3 months !!!
On some PC's, I had deleted all the fonts except 1 ! Guess what ? The
problem still remained !
In my case (and I'm not saying in every one's case) the message I got
and the real problem were not "directly" related.
Now since the users know they have to launch Notes first, I do not have
any more problem.
What I was trying to say is that when you got the "250 fonts" error
message, look for sure at the # of fonts you have installed on the
station and if you're sure that it is less than 250, then here is my
hint !
--
Sign up to keep Agent Alive :
http://www.living-source.com/agent/

Dave Allen

Sep 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/1/98
I have had the 250 Font limit hit me only on two PCs. Both PCs had more
than 250 Fonts (Corral Draw had put the fonts on in both cases). In both
cases the database which created the problem was created in Notes 4.6.
Prior to that any databases created in Notes 4.5 had not caused any
problems.

In one database the font used was Tahoma. This happened to be about font
number 450 or so. The other database, I can not remember what font I used.

The easy solution is to use Fonts whose name starts with A (Arial being an
example). That way if any users do make use of more than 250 Fonts
(Designers, artists etc) you will negate the problem.

Dave Allen