RightFax vs. Facsys -Reply -Reply

Richard Nicholas

Oct 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/16/96

Also, has anyone out there checked out Castelle's Groupwise Gateway
for Faxpress? It seems to be able to deal with native Wordperfect
documents.

>>> Pete Carstensen <pca...@jcl.com> 16/October/1996 04:26pm >>>
We have tried using the Optus Facsys 3.4 product along with GW
Fax/Print Gateway. We use Brooktrout Tr cards for outbound fax and
inward DID routing.

We literally spent hundreds of hours trying to get these to work
together. We found some hardware errors that Brooktrout was able to
correct (they replaced the boards and worked very hard with us to
locate the error, even sent a tech on-site for 3 days to run diagnostics!)

Without a doubt, the main reason why we STILL are not successful
with this combo is the total lack of understanding by anyone at Novell
about how Facsys works with the Fax/Print gateway and a
corresponding lack of understanding by tech support at Optus about
dealing with Novell's product. Brooktrout didn't know either but at least
they were on the end. I feel that Optus was the one that really needed
to know both the TR cards from Brooktrout and enough about the GW
Fax/Print gateway to interface to it.

It was VERY frustrating and horriblly time consuming. At the time, the
NT verson (4) of Facsys did not interface with GW so that wasn't an
option. I understand that it does now, and we have also moved to a NT
platform so circumstances may warrant another look.

On the other hand, I have been burned so much that I am really leaning
far more to Rightfax at this point. Win95 is giving us enough problems
that fax will have to wait awhile but I am monitoring other experiences in
the meantime.

Pete

>>> "Peter T. Szymonik" <szym...@worldnet.att.net> 10/12/96
01:50pm >>>
Tom Kustner wrote:

> In reading old postings to this group, I am under the impression that
> GroupWise sites have used RightFax NT more than Facsys (NT or
Netware)
> when trying to integrate a fax server product
>
> Is this because RightFax's gateway worked better, or just because
> Rightfax is slightly better than Facsys? Thanks for your help.
>
> Tom Kustner

> Tom Kustner Emjay Corporation
> System/LAN Administrator 725 W. Glendale Ave.
> Email: tom.k...@emjay.com Glendale, WI 53209-6509 USA
> Any opinions are mine and not necessarily those of Emjay's.

Also check out a product called WPA Fax. A number of sites I worked
at tried RightFax, and switched to WPA.

Peter Szymonik
xo...@msn.com

Alan Rowe

Oct 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/17/96

I was just at a Groupwise info session and Chayenne is now the official
replacement for the GW fax gate way.The new release due out in 60-90?
days is fully intergrated with GW 5 using the GW phone book etc. and will
also have available a reaster engine. Any file that is attached to a GW
message will be opened on a pc the application launched and the file
converted to fax, or you can still print directly to fax the way one does now
with most fax products.

>>> Pete Carstensen <pca...@jcl.com> 10/16/96 09:26am >>>

Don Bourrie

Oct 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/18/96

Richard Nicholas wrote:

> Also, has anyone out there checked out Castelle's Groupwise Gateway
> for Faxpress? It seems to be able to deal with native Wordperfect
> documents.

I've got a Faxpress 1500 on evaluation with the Castelle GroupWise
gateway, still in beta. Castelle's software seems to be going through
rev thrashing - several messages from the eval vendor about having to
use the old Castelle software with the new GW gate beta, etc, etc. They
apparently released the code several months ago, it was garbage, and was
pulled from the market. Now it's in beta again - would that be "gamma"
or something?

Also, they failed to mention that the gateway is 3rd party Win code -
Faxgate licensed from RedRock - that requires a dedicated 486 PC to run
on - I haven't had time to set it up. Also, the Castelle box claims to
be auto-frame type, but won't login to our 4.1 server unless I load
802.2, and we run everything on Ethernet_II for IPX+IP.

Not looking good, Castelle.

Tom Kustner

Oct 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/18/96

We are also evaluating RightFax vs. Faxserve. RightFax said this week
that their gateway to Groupwise 5 is ready, whereas Cheyenne's won't
be ready until the end of the year and they haven't decided if they
are going to give it away or charge for it.

There is little doubt in my mind that if you had to choose today, you
would *not* choose Faxserve first for its GW gateway.