[ANN] ElectricImage file format plugin for Photoshop on Windows & Mac

Toby Thain

Nov 17, 2002, 12:17:25 AM11/17/02
This plugin reads and writes ElectricImage (EI Universe) format .img
files in 1, 8, 16, 24 and 32 (incl alpha) bit depths. It opens selected
single frames from multi-frame input files, and saves single frame image
files.

A Windows version is now available (currently at beta stage). The Mac
version (Photoshop 7 or earlier, on OS X, 9, Classic, or earlier) was
previously announced.

Download from http://www.telegraphics.com.au/sw/

Feedback to sup...@telegraphics.com.au

Toby Thain

Chris Cox

Nov 17, 2002, 6:36:13 PM11/17/02

There is already an Electric Image format plugin on the Photoshop 7
Macintosh CD, under optional plugins. (it's not on the Windows CD
because of a little snafu)

Chris

In article <toby-CA7A3A.1...@news.iprimus.com.au>, Toby Thain

Toby Thain

Nov 17, 2002, 10:08:05 PM11/17/02
Chris Cox <cc...@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:<171120021536133616%cc...@mindspring.com>...

> There is already an Electric Image format plugin on the Photoshop 7
> Macintosh CD, under optional plugins. (it's not on the Windows CD
> because of a little snafu)
>
> Chris

Well, for those fruitlessly looking for a Windows ElectricImage file
format plugin on their Photoshop CD, I am happy to announce one,
snafu-free: http://www.telegraphics.com.au/sw/ (Reportedly it can
also be used with Commotion and AfterEffects.)

The Mac version (OS X, OS 9 and earlier) available at that link is
likely to be somewhat faster than the old plugin.

Toby

Toby Thain

Nov 18, 2002, 7:37:25 AM11/18/02
Chris Cox <cc...@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:<171120021536133616%cc...@mindspring.com>...
> There is already an Electric Image format plugin on the Photoshop 7
> Macintosh CD, under optional plugins. (it's not on the Windows CD
> because of a little snafu)

There's a SNAFU with the Mac version on the Adobe CD, too! It doesn't
work with any version of Photoshop earlier than 7.0. The one I've made
available is tested with all versions of Photoshop down to 3.0.

Nor does the Adobe version offer a frame preview; to pick a frame of a
multi-frame image you have to specify a frame number. (The original
1991 version did frame previewing.)

Alpha channels are also handled differently. The Adobe version always
reads alpha as layer transparency. This version reads alpha as a 4th
channel and optionally premultiplies colour values (like the original
plugin could).

Toby

Toby Thain

Nov 22, 2002, 11:40:07 AM11/22/02
Toby Thain <to...@telegraphics.com.au> wrote in message news:<toby-CA7A3A.1...@news.iprimus.com.au>...

> This plugin reads and writes ElectricImage (EI Universe) format .img
> files in 1, 8, 16, 24 and 32 (incl alpha) bit depths. It opens selected
> single frames from multi-frame input files, and saves single frame image
> files.

A version for 68K Macintoshes is now available.

Chris Cox

Nov 23, 2002, 12:11:26 AM11/23/02
In article <d6ce4a6c.02111...@posting.google.com>, Toby
Thain <to...@telegraphics.com.au> wrote:

> Chris Cox <cc...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> > There is already an Electric Image format plugin on the Photoshop 7
> > Macintosh CD, under optional plugins. (it's not on the Windows CD
> > because of a little snafu)
>
> There's a SNAFU with the Mac version on the Adobe CD, too! It doesn't
> work with any version of Photoshop earlier than 7.0. The one I've made
> available is tested with all versions of Photoshop down to 3.0.

That would be an important detail to mention when advertising the
plugin.

> Alpha channels are also handled differently. The Adobe version always
> reads alpha as layer transparency. This version reads alpha as a 4th
> channel and optionally premultiplies colour values (like the original
> plugin could).

Actually, those violate the documentation for the file format....

Chris

Toby Thain

Nov 23, 2002, 11:41:02 PM11/23/02
Chris Cox <cc...@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:<221120022111263617%cc...@mindspring.com>...

> In article <d6ce4a6c.02111...@posting.google.com>, Toby
> Thain <to...@telegraphics.com.au> wrote:
>
> > Chris Cox <cc...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> > > There is already an Electric Image format plugin on the Photoshop 7
> > > Macintosh CD, under optional plugins. (it's not on the Windows CD
> > > because of a little snafu)
> >
> > There's a SNAFU with the Mac version on the Adobe CD, too! It doesn't
> > work with any version of Photoshop earlier than 7.0. The one I've made
> > available is tested with all versions of Photoshop down to 3.0.
>
> That would be an important detail to mention when advertising the
> plugin.

I have no patience for marketing-driven obsolescence.

> > Alpha channels are also handled differently. The Adobe version always
> > reads alpha as layer transparency. This version reads alpha as a 4th
> > channel and optionally premultiplies colour values (like the original
> > plugin could).
>
> Actually, those violate the documentation for the file format....

Tell John Knoll.

Toby

> Chris

Chris Cox

Nov 24, 2002, 8:24:49 PM11/24/02
In article <d6ce4a6c.02112...@posting.google.com>, Toby
Thain <to...@telegraphics.com.au> wrote:

> > > Alpha channels are also handled differently. The Adobe version always
> > > reads alpha as layer transparency. This version reads alpha as a 4th
> > > channel and optionally premultiplies colour values (like the original
> > > plugin could).
> >
> > Actually, those violate the documentation for the file format....
>
> Tell John Knoll.

I did.

Chris