Configure can't find libgd libraries (need png and friends)? Please help....

Webb S.

May 7, 2009, 1:25:49 PM5/7/09
Hi all,

I am trying to install gnuplot as a non-root user on a Linux machine
(RH something or other with high security -- aka really old
software). I am at a loss, so I would appreciate any help I can get.

Here is my configure command (yes, libgd is really there):

./configure --prefix=/home/wsprague/gnuplot-4.2.5 --with-gd=/usr/lib64/
libgd.so.2 -without-tutorial --without-x

Here is the configure output. Note the lack of jpeg etc:

** Configuration summary for gnuplot 4.2.5:

gnuplot will be compiled with the following terminals:

Standalone terminals: yes (always builtin)
(aed512, aed767, aifm, bitgraph, cgm, corel, dumb, dxf, eepic,
emf, emtex,
epslatex, epson_180dpi, epson_60dpi, epson_lx800, fig, gpic,
hp2623A,
hp2648, hp500c, hpdj, hpgl, hpljii, hppj, imagen, kc_tek40xx,
km_tek40xx,
latex, metafont, metapost, mif, pbm, postscript, pslatex, nec_cp6,
okidata,
pcl5, pstex, pstricks, qms, regis, selanar, svg, starc,
tandy_60dpi,
tek40xx, tek410x, texdraw, tgif, tkcanvas, tpic, vttek)
X Window System terminal: no (requires X libraries)
jpeg terminal: no (requires libgd with jpeg support)
<----------------------------------- Why??????
gif terminal: no (requires libgd with gif support)
png terminal: no (requires libgd with png support)
(jpeg, gif and png terminals cannot use TTF fonts, requires libgd
support)
pdf terminal: no (requires libpdf)
plot library terminal: no (use --with-plot to enable, requires GNU
plotutils
or UNIX plot)
linux terminal (vga console): no (use --with-linux-vga to enable,
requires SVGAlib)
vgagl terminal ((s)vga console): no (use --with-linux-vga to enable,
requires SVGAlib with vgagl)
ggi terminal: no (use --with-ggi to enable, requires libggi)
iris4d terminal: no (use --enable-iris to enable, requires libgl_s)
mgr terminal: no (use --enable-mgr to enable, requires libpixrect)
rgip/uniplex terminal: no (use --enable-rgip to enable)
svga terminal (MSDOS/djgpp): no
be terminal (BeOS): no
next terminal: no
aqua terminal (MacOS X): no
wxt terminal: no (requires C++, wxWidgets>2.6, cairo>0.9,
pango>1.10)

Additional terminals are availaible in platform-specific makefiles:
amiga (makefile.amg and makefile.ami), apollo/gpr (makefile.unx),
atari/vdi
(makefile.st), cgi (makefile.unx), mtos (makefile.mto), pm
(makefile.os2),
sun (makefile.unx), unixpc (makefile.unx), windows (various Windows
makefiles)
Additional terminals are built automatically if possible at compile-
time:
vesa (MSDOS), emxvga (MSDOS, OS/2), ega/vga/svga/ssvga/hercules
(Windows with
Zortec compiler), macintosh

gnuplot will be compiled with the following features:

Fitting error variables: yes
String-handling in datafiles: yes
Plot style histograms: yes
String variables: yes
Command line macros: yes (EXPERIMENTAL)
Placement of rectangles and other objects: yes (EXPERIMENTAL)
Plot style image: yes (EXPERIMENTAL)
General binary data file reading: yes (EXPERIMENTAL)

gnuplot will be compiled with the following options:

Readline library: GNU readline library with -lncurses
Command-line history file: yes
Check current directory for .gnuplot file: no (use --with-cwdrc to
enable)
Sort help/subtopic tables by column: no (use --without-row-help to
enable)
Use TeX kpsexpand to search for fonts: no (use --with-kpsexpand to
enable)
Thin plate splines: no (use --enable-thin-spline to enable)
Hidden3d optimization: quadtree
Deprecated syntax and terminal options : yes

gnuplot will install the following additional materials:

lasergnu printer script: no (use --with-lasergnu to enable)
gnuplot-mode for X/Emacs: yes
LaTeX tutorial: no
Help file: yes (always), in ${datarootdir}/gnuplot/4.2/gnuplot.gih
PostScript prologue files: yes (always)

Hans-Bernhard Bröker

May 7, 2009, 4:50:12 PM5/7/09
Webb S. wrote:

> Here is my configure command (yes, libgd is really there):

Well, _some_ libgd may be there. But it appears to be too old to do
what you would want it to do for gnuplot.

> jpeg terminal: no (requires libgd with jpeg support)
> <----------------------------------- Why??????

Because you don't have a libgd with jpeg support installed such that
configure can find it. With luck you might only be lacking the *-devel
package. But since you mentioned a stable (read: old) distribution,
it's probably just too old.

The gory details are in the config.log file.

Webb S.

May 7, 2009, 5:25:32 PM5/7/09

> >   jpeg terminal: no (requires libgd with jpeg support)
> > <-----------------------------------  Why??????
>
> Because you don't have a libgd with jpeg support installed such that
> configure can find it.  With luck you might only be lacking the *-devel
> package.  But since you mentioned a stable (read: old) distribution,
> it's probably just too old.
>
> The gory details are in the config.log file.

Yep, yep, yep. This is the last job I take where I don't have root on
at least a virtual machine running the code I am (supposed) to be
writing.

I can't libgd to compile easily either.

Thanks for the reply, even though you aren't telling me what I want to
hear.
-W

Hans-Bernhard Bröker

May 7, 2009, 7:19:58 PM5/7/09
Webb S. wrote:

> Yep, yep, yep. This is the last job I take where I don't have root on
> at least a virtual machine running the code I am (supposed) to be
> writing.

I don't think not being root has terribly much to do with this. You may
have to build a private copy of libgd into your $HOME folders first (and
modify your $PATH, $INFOPATH etc.), but that should not be terribly much
harder than building one as root.

Ingo Thies

May 8, 2009, 5:48:18 AM5/8/09

although this link is about compiling Gnuplot on Mac OS-X it might be
helpful since it contains links to the source codes of the required
libraries (the sources should be the same, I guess, at least for a local
installation). I have to admit that I've tried none of them.

http://radagast.bglug.ca/macosx/how_to_compile_gnuplot.html

--
Gru�,
Ingo