Identifying sans font with crossed W

Ian Wilson

Mar 1, 2005, 4:41:59 AM3/1/05
Hello,

I'm trying to identify a font for which I only have a short sample. I've
tried various sites that identify fonts by asking a series of questions
about the letter forms but have drawn a blank.

The most obvious characteristic is the W with crossed central vertex.

It is a solid geometric sans-serif font, a book font NOT a decorative
font. Light and slightly oblique.

W - central vertex crosses like overlapping VV
(e.g. Garamond Antiqua but sans-serif)
Q - tail joins loop without crossing it
P - Gap where bowl meets vertical
U - no stem
3 - curved
4 - closed
i - square dot
M - mid vertex on baseline
g - single storey
a - double storey

Can anyone identify this?

Character

Mar 1, 2005, 9:06:44 AM3/1/05

No.
Think about trying to identify a person uniquely with a verbal
description (blue eyes, brown hair, aquiline nose, high cheekbones,etc.)

You can post a link to an image here, or post an image or link in
alt.binaries.fonts. Then you ARE very likely to get a fairly quick
identification.

- Character

Dick Margulis

Mar 1, 2005, 9:22:15 AM3/1/05

Character wrote:

Aw, c'mon, C. It wasn't that hard. Eras is the family. The weight is
whatever it is.

Andreas Höfeld

Mar 1, 2005, 12:33:20 PM3/1/05
Also sprach/Thus spake Dick Margulis:

> Aw, c'mon, C. It wasn't that hard. Eras is the family. The weight is
> whatever it is.

ACK- An easy one. Sans-serif, crossed W, slightly slanted.
What else do you need ;-)

Andreas

Character

Mar 1, 2005, 12:41:11 PM3/1/05
Dick Margulis wrote:

I guess that some people have better verbal interpretation skills than
others! (Do you suppose THAT's why I don't understand my wife?)

In fact, I assumed it WASN'T Eras, because the OP said

"I've tried various sites that identify fonts by asking a series of
questions about the letter forms but have drawn a blank."

And I had taken the OP's information into identifont, and it came up
with ITC Eras.

- C

Ian Wilson

Mar 2, 2005, 4:20:40 AM3/2/05

Sorry, I did look for posting guidelines but only found Norm Walsh's
comp.fonts FAQ, which I've read many years ago and I didn't recall it
containing any posting guidelines. Thanks for the tip.

>>> - Character
>>

>> Aw, c'mon, C. It wasn't that hard. Eras is the family. The weight
>> is whatever it is.

Thanks, Eras Light is a match. A related word in a logo uses Eras bold,
which doesn't have a crossed W, I think this threw me off track.

> I guess that some people have better verbal interpretation skills
> than others! (Do you suppose THAT's why I don't understand my wife?)
>
> In fact, I assumed it WASN'T Eras, because the OP said "I've tried
> various sites that identify fonts by asking a series of questions
> about the letter forms but have drawn a blank."
>
> And I had taken the OP's information into identifont, and it came up
> with ITC Eras.

I don't recall if thats one of the sites I tried, If so, I must have
either clicked the wrong choice of icon at some point or hit "don't
know" for one of the answers where I actually did know. mea culpa.

Anyway, I feel slightly foolish but heartened by the help received -
thanks all.

nicdese...@gmail.com

Oct 7, 2014, 2:13:31 PM10/7/14
This one? ₩

I'm puzzled too. I discovered it on my Samsung touchscreen phone keyboard.

Jukka K. Korpela

Oct 7, 2014, 2:37:00 PM10/7/14
2014-10-07 21:13, nicdese...@gmail.com wrote:

> This one? ₩

That’s the character U+20A9 WON SIGN. It has different glyphs in
different fonts of course. What matters is that it is a separate
character, a currency symbol, not a glyph variant of the common “W” letter.

> I'm puzzled too. I discovered it on my Samsung touchscreen phone keyboard.

If you used that keyboard to write this message of yours, then it indeed
produces the WON SIGN, the symbol of Korean currencies.

Due to some odd historical developments, some fonts designed for use
with the Korean language, such as Batang, contain WON SIGN in code
position U+005C, which is allocated for REVERSE SOLIDUS “\”, commonly
known as backslash. This has puzzled people, see e.g.
http://superuser.com/questions/787664/why-are-backslashes-displayed-as-%E2%82%A9-korean-won-sign-w-strikethrough-in-not

Naturally, such a font should not be used for texts that need to contain
the backslash character (or at least you should make sure that the
backslash is taken from another font).

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Peter Flynn

Oct 30, 2014, 7:25:32 PM10/30/14
On 10/07/2014 07:13 PM, nicdese...@gmail.com wrote:
> This one? ₩

That's a character rather than a font. Perhaps you're thinking of
raleway (http://www.google.com/fonts/specimen/Raleway)

///Peter

paula...@gmail.com

Jun 4, 2015, 1:36:10 PM6/4/15
Try using WhatTheFont tool at https://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/

I currently am asking about a similar font in the forum at https://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/forum/

aaw...@gmail.com

Jan 19, 2017, 8:58:11 PM1/19/17
Over a decade late but I believe the font they were looking for was Garamond.

Peter Flynn

Jan 20, 2017, 3:54:32 PM1/20/17
On 01/20/2017 01:58 AM, aaw...@gmail.com wrote:
> Over a decade late but I believe the font they were looking for was Garamond.

Not if it was a sans-serif face.

mw3fl...@gmail.com

Jan 3, 2020, 1:25:49 PM1/3/20
What is a serif font with both a crossed M and a crossed W?

David E. Ross

Jan 3, 2020, 6:48:40 PM1/3/20
On 1/3/2020 10:25 AM, mw3fl...@gmail.com wrote:
> What is a serif font with both a crossed M and a crossed W?

If by "crossed W" you mean it resembles two Vs overlapping, I have
several fonts with that. Bofin Printworks font identifier at
<http://bowfinprintworks.com/SerifGuide/intro.php> indicates 231 such
fonts.

However, I cannot find any font that contains a similar M. Bofin
Printworks font identifier does not indicate a single such font.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Duracell batteries are prohibited in my house.
They leak and have severely damaged some expensive
electronics that I own. Energizer and Eveready
batteries are okay.