Wine with OpenGL on Leopard?

manito...@gmail.com

Nov 11, 2007, 11:26:55 AM11/11/07
Hey everyone.

I'm trying to compile Wine _with_ OpenGL on Mac OS X 10.5 "Leopard".
Apple's X11.app has been upgraded to X.org, so I'd like to try to make
it work. Most of the OpenGL checks return positive, except one. Why is
this check failing, and how can I fix it? (Even if you know in general
what this check means, as the solution is probably similar on both OS
X and other Unix variants).

Here's the output (grepped for GL):

=== BEGIN PASTE ===
$ ./configure | grep -E [Gg][Ll]
rm: conftest.dSYM: is a directory
rm: conftest.dSYM: is a directory
checking jpeglib.h usability... no
checking jpeglib.h presence... no
checking for jpeglib.h... no
checking for GL/gl.h... yes
checking for GL/glx.h... yes
checking for GL/glext.h... yes
checking for GL/glu.h... yes
checking for up-to-date OpenGL version... yes
checking for -lGL... not found
checking for gluLookAt in -lGLU... yes
checking for freetype/ftglyph.h... yes
rm: conftest.dSYM: is a directory
config.status: creating dlls/glu32/Makefile
config.status: creating dlls/opengl32/Makefile
config.status: creating dlls/opengl32/tests/Makefile

configure: WARNING: No OpenGL library found on this system.
Wine will be build without OpenGL or Direct3D support.

configure: WARNING: FontForge is missing.
Fonts will not be built. Dialog text may be invisible or unaligned.
=== END PASTE ===

As I understand it, the "-lGL" option causes the system to link
against libGL.dylib, which does in fact exist in /usr/X11/lib. So
what's the problem?

P.S: Yes, I fully intend to install FontForge. I just want to clear
the OpenGL issues first.

david....@gmail.com

Nov 14, 2007, 9:42:12 PM11/14/07

You can get through configure by doing
export LDFLAGS="-dylib_file /System/Library/Frameworks/
OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGL.dylib:/System/Library/
Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGL.dylib"

but it fails to compile later on in the build due to that very same
build option.

manito...@gmail.com

Nov 15, 2007, 4:05:23 PM11/15/07

Interesting...why doesn't it like compiling against /usr/X11/lib/
libGL.dylib?

manito...@gmail.com

Nov 15, 2007, 5:11:51 PM11/15/07

Oh, one more question: why does it throw such an error? Does anyone
know how to rectify it?

../../tools/winebuild/winebuild -w --def -o libwsock32.def --export ./
wsock32.spec
../../tools/winebuild/winebuild -w --def -o libwtsapi32.def --export ./
wtsapi32.spec
../../tools/winegcc/winegcc -B../../tools/winebuild -shared ./
acledit.spec main.o -o acledit.dll.so -lkernel32 ../../
libs/port/libwine_port.a -dylib_file /System/Library/Frameworks/
OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGL.dylib:/System/Library/
Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGL.dylib
winegcc: File does not exist: /System/Library/Frameworks/
OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGL.dylib:/System/Library/
Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGL.dylib
make[2]: *** [acledit.dll.so] Error 2
make[1]: *** [acledit] Error 2
make: *** [dlls] Error 2

manito...@gmail.com

Nov 15, 2007, 5:26:18 PM11/15/07

My searches suggest that this error is caused by Wine misinterpreting
some compiler directive (specifically, ld's -dylib_file) incorrectly,
so it's trying to search for that parameter (which is actually two
filenames separated by a colon) as a single file. Is there any way to
override?

manito...@gmail.com

Nov 15, 2007, 5:27:34 PM11/15/07

My searches suggest that this error is caused by winegcc
misinterpreting ld's -dylib_file directive as a single filename. Is
there a way to override this check?

Required field cannot be left blank

Nov 22, 2007, 4:37:01 AM11/22/07

Works for me on 10.5 after setting LDFLAGS....

Just to be clear, I downloaded the 0.9.49 version:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=6241&package_id=77449

I got it to work by setting
export LDFLAGS="-Wl,-dylib_file,/System/Library/Frameworks/
OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGL.dylib:/System/Library/
Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGL.dylib"
as described here:
http://wiki.finkproject.org/index.php/Fink:Packaging:Preparing_for_10.5#OpenGL_Bug

In addition I had to install "fontforge" with "port install fontforge"
and everything worked smoothly from there.

Haven't gotten around to running any programs with it yet, but
considering I did not encounter a single error, it ought to work after
I install Xorg.

manito...@gmail.com

Nov 22, 2007, 4:57:32 PM11/22/07
On Nov 22, 4:37 am, Required field cannot be left blank
> Just to be clear, I downloaded the 0.9.49 version:http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=6241&package_id...

> I got it to work by setting
> export LDFLAGS="-Wl,-dylib_file,/System/Library/Frameworks/
> OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGL.dylib:/System/Library/
> Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGL.dylib"
> as described here:http://wiki.finkproject.org/index.php/Fink:Packaging:Preparing_for_10...

> In addition I had to install "fontforge" with "port install fontforge"
> and everything worked smoothly from there.
>
> Haven't gotten around to running any programs with it yet, but
> considering I did not encounter a single error, it ought to work after
> I install Xorg.

Well, now it compiles, but when I try to run an application that uses
DirectX/OpenGL (Steam in my case), I get a bunch of errors. Here's a
small sample:

fixme:xrender:X11DRV_AlphaBlend Unable to AlphaBlend without Xrender
err:wgl:X11DRV_ChoosePixelFormat No libGL on this box - disabling
OpenGL support !
err:d3d:WineD3D_CreateFakeGLContext Can't find a suitable iPixelFormat
err:d3d:InitAdapters Failed to get a gl context for default adapter
err:wine_d3d:WineDirect3DCreate Direct3D9 is not available without
opengl

Many of these are repeated numerous times. It did compile
successfully, and the ./configure showed that the dylib had been
correctly detected, so I'm not sure what's wrong.