Fax Transmission Failure Rate

trading_jacks

Oct 4, 2007, 11:44:43 AM10/4/07
I am trying to do some research for my company about faxing failure
rates as they apply to traditional fax machines and to fax servers. I
have searched usenet and google for a couple of hours and can't seem
to find any real sources. I have found some people saying less than
1% is what you should expect for both. I would like to find some
solid data, preferrably from a third party or some objective study
(not a company that sells fax machines or service or just some guy
saying "I get 2%")

Surely someone has documented an average rate of failure for fax
transmissions?!?!?!

Thanks,
Mark

Andreas Gosslau

Oct 4, 2007, 2:40:29 PM10/4/07
"trading_jacks" <MARKFE...@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

>I am trying to do some research for my company about faxing failure
> rates as they apply to traditional fax machines and to fax servers.

Hello Mark,

I doubt that you will get figures as you expect.
There are so many reasons why a fax transmission could fail:
- call failure during call setup (e.g. wrong number, wrong service,
answering fax answers too late ...)
- failure during negotiation (e.g non standard-compliant
implementation, too long delay ...)
- failure during transmission (e.g caused by noise or other
disturbances ...)
- failure after transmission of several pages (e.g. buffer overflow ,
paper out ...)

Regards,
Andreas

in...@snapsinc.com

Oct 5, 2007, 7:01:22 AM10/5/07
On Oct 4, 2:40 pm, "Andreas Gosslau" <andreas.goss...@nexgo.de> wrote:
> "trading_jacks" <MARKFERGA...@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitragnews:1191512683.9...@22g2000hsm.googlegroups.com...

I concur with Andreas. Sounds like what you are actually saying is
that you are having problems with your fax server and you are looking
to justify an argument over what is an acceptable dropped call rate.
If you are not using a fax server then you should be using reputable
fax machines and not cheap pieces of junk. I would suggest not daisy-
chaining analog fax machines into a single hunt group. If you are
using a fax server, make sure that you are using the most updated
version of the software and that you are using fax controllers such as
Brooktrout/Cantata. Don't use inexpensive US$50.00 modems.

Lastly, expect dropped call rates from 2-5%. There are too many
variables, over which you have no control, to worry about finding some
study that measures this problem. People don't get paid to "measure"
the problem. They get paid to "fix" the perceived problem. Asking
people what their experiences have been is probably the best you are
going to get. Take their "experience", make your decisions and then
move on. I'll bet you have other problems that need your attention
too. Hope this helps.

trading_jacks

Oct 5, 2007, 7:17:43 AM10/5/07
> too. Hope this helps.- Hide quoted text -

Yeah that pretty much hit it on the head. Since we implemented the
fax server every fax that doesn't go through is somehow the servers
fault - and of course the old "standard" fax machine never dropped a
call (riiiiight). The VP understands that is probably just a
perception that things are worse with the fax server and asked me to
get some numbers so we can tell the users to quit complaining.

Andrew Rinaldi

Oct 7, 2007, 2:01:34 PM10/7/07

Hi Mark,

If you use robust fax software and a good fax board you should obtain
error rates below 1% in the 'real world'. Here for example are some
recent stats from a medical application (receive only) that uses our
hardware;

Month - September 2007

Number of Fax received - 18952

Total Error - 67

Error break-up - 47 x 1109, 20 x 1135

Most of these fax's are single page's sent at V.34, with ECM, and JBIG
compression. 1109 is a training error, and 1135 is a fax machine
error (probably a paper jam or operator abort). All are using analog
lines that connect directly to the CO (i.e. not through a PABX).

If you are interested, you will find a lot of discussion about error
rates on hylafax.org where a number of the developers are happy to
share their fax server stats.

It is also worth knowing that one of the issues that is currently
driving up error rates is the number of senders using VoIP. Could
this be a factor in your error case ?

Regards

ANDREW RINALDI
Mainpine Developer Support
USA +1 503 822 9944 | UK +44 8458 909438
andrew....@mainpine.com | www.mainpine.com