SQLite and MySQL

Steve Hayes

Nov 26, 2014, 11:28:24 PM11/26/14
What's the difference between SQLite and MySQL?

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com

Jasen Betts

Nov 27, 2014, 7:00:52 AM11/27/14
On 2014-11-27, Steve Hayes <haye...@telkomsa.net> wrote:
> What's the difference between SQLite and MySQL?

Everything.

Kees Nuyt

Nov 27, 2014, 9:17:01 AM11/27/14
On Thu, 27 Nov 2014 06:28:37 +0200, Steve Hayes
<haye...@telkomsa.net> wrote:

> What's the difference between SQLite and MySQL?

SQLite is an embedded database engine.
MySQL is a database server.

All differences between them can be explained from that
architectural difference.
--
Kees Nuyt

Eric

Nov 27, 2014, 4:10:03 PM11/27/14
On 2014-11-27, Steve Hayes <haye...@telkomsa.net> wrote:
> What's the difference between SQLite and MySQL?

"SQLite is not directly comparable to other SQL database engines such
as Oracle, PostgreSQL, MySQL, or SQL Server since SQLite is trying to
solve a very different problem.

"Other SQL database engines strive to implement a shared repository of
enterprise data. They emphasis scalability, concurrency, centralization,
and control.

"SQLite, on the other hand, strives to provide local data storage
for individual applications and devices. SQLite emphasizes economy,
efficiency, reliability, independence, and simplicity.

"SQLite is not designed to compete with Oracle. SQLite is designed to
compete with fopen()."

Now all the above is from http://www.sqlite.org/whentouse.html, which
you might well have looked at in the first place, as well as
http://www.sqlite.org/about.html and
http://www.sqlite.org/different.html.

Someone may choose to refer you to the MySQL website, but I think that
the above covers it very well.

Eric
--
ms fnd in a lbry

Steve Hayes

Nov 27, 2014, 4:16:05 PM11/27/14
Is is either of them a database program, then?

If so, which one?

Steve Hayes

Nov 27, 2014, 4:17:09 PM11/27/14
Would you care to explain that architectural difference?

Kees Nuyt

Nov 27, 2014, 4:59:45 PM11/27/14
On Thu, 27 Nov 2014 23:16:18 +0200, Steve Hayes
<haye...@telkomsa.net> wrote:

>On 27 Nov 2014 11:53:00 GMT, Jasen Betts <ja...@xnet.co.nz> wrote:
>
>>On 2014-11-27, Steve Hayes <haye...@telkomsa.net> wrote:
>>> What's the difference between SQLite and MySQL?
>>
>>Everything.
>
>Is is either of them a database program, then?
>
>If so, which one?

Both are database engines.
--
Kees Nuyt

Kees Nuyt

Nov 27, 2014, 5:04:45 PM11/27/14
On Thu, 27 Nov 2014 23:17:21 +0200, Steve Hayes
<haye...@telkomsa.net> wrote:

>On Thu, 27 Nov 2014 15:16:58 +0100, Kees Nuyt <k.n...@nospam.demon.nl> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 27 Nov 2014 06:28:37 +0200, Steve Hayes
>><haye...@telkomsa.net> wrote:
>>
>>> What's the difference between SQLite and MySQL?
>>
>>SQLite is an embedded database engine.
>>MySQL is a database server.>>
>>All differences between them can be explained from that
>>architectural difference.
>
>Would you care to explain that architectural difference?

No, their respective websites contain more information than you
could expect from a usenet posting. You'll find documentation at:

https://www.sqlite.org/

http://dev.mysql.com/

--
Kees Nuyt

Steve Hayes

Nov 27, 2014, 11:08:46 PM11/27/14
Then they can't differ in "everything".

Steve Hayes

Nov 27, 2014, 11:54:15 PM11/27/14
Well I did look at
http://www.mysql.com/why-mysql/

but it was less than helpful for the comparison.

Kees Nuyt

Nov 28, 2014, 11:56:01 AM11/28/14
On Fri, 28 Nov 2014 06:54:31 +0200, Steve Hayes
<haye...@telkomsa.net> wrote:

>On Thu, 27 Nov 2014 20:45:11 +0000, Eric <er...@deptj.eu> wrote:
>
>> Now all the above is from http://www.sqlite.org/whentouse.html, which
>> you might well have looked at in the first place, as well as
>> http://www.sqlite.org/about.html and
>> http://www.sqlite.org/different.html.
>>
>> Someone may choose to refer you to the MySQL website, but I think that
>> the above covers it very well.
>
> Well I did look at
> http://www.mysql.com/why-mysql/
>
> but it was less than helpful for the comparison.

The best way to discover is to download both and get some hands on
experience. That's what i did at the time. I use both of them, for
different purposes, as suggested by
http://www.sqlite.org/whentouse.html

Feel free to ask specific questions about matters you don't
understand after reading the documentation, nobody is to rewrite
or copy paste them here.
--
Kees Nuyt

Jasen Betts

Nov 28, 2014, 3:31:03 PM11/28/14
On 2014-11-27, Steve Hayes <haye...@telkomsa.net> wrote:
> On 27 Nov 2014 11:53:00 GMT, Jasen Betts <ja...@xnet.co.nz> wrote:
>
>>On 2014-11-27, Steve Hayes <haye...@telkomsa.net> wrote:
>>> What's the difference between SQLite and MySQL?
>>
>>Everything.
>
> Is is either of them a database program, then?

Maybe.

In your opinion, what properties and capabilities does
a "database program" have?

sqlite is mostly a library, mysql is mostly a server program.
both have CLI clients.

--
umop apisdn

Jasen Betts

Nov 28, 2014, 4:00:55 PM11/28/14
On 2014-11-28, Steve Hayes <haye...@telkomsa.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Nov 2014 22:59:43 +0100, Kees Nuyt <k.n...@nospam.demon.nl> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 27 Nov 2014 23:16:18 +0200, Steve Hayes
>><haye...@telkomsa.net> wrote:

>>>Is is either of them a database program, then?
>>>
>>>If so, which one?
>>

>>Both are database engines.
>
> Then they can't differ in "everything".

Pretty much any property you can measure is radically different.

mysql: SQLite:

Codebase 900 KLoC 90 KloC
License GPL2/Proprietary Public Domain
Engine type Server Library

--
umop apisdn

Steve Hayes

Nov 28, 2014, 10:40:48 PM11/28/14
On 28 Nov 2014 20:21:40 GMT, Jasen Betts <ja...@xnet.co.nz> wrote:

>On 2014-11-27, Steve Hayes <haye...@telkomsa.net> wrote:

>>>Everything.
>>
>> Is is either of them a database program, then?
>
>Maybe.
>
>In your opinion, what properties and capabilities does
>a "database program" have?

It stores information in the form of records that can be sorted, searched and
manipulated in various ways.

Saying that they differ in "everything" implies that they can no more be
compared than you can compare the breast stroke with polarized light.

Lennart Jonsson

Nov 29, 2014, 2:03:10 AM11/29/14
On 11/27/2014 05:28 AM, Steve Hayes wrote:
> What's the difference between SQLite and MySQL?

You have to be more specific if you want meaningful answers. On a macro
level They are both artefacts that run on computers so in that sense
there is no difference. On the other hand there primary usage differ,
they don't share any code, etc. so you could say that everything
differs. Why do you want to know, what is the reason for your question?

/Lennart

Jasen Betts

Nov 29, 2014, 7:30:52 AM11/29/14
On 2014-11-29, Steve Hayes <haye...@telkomsa.net> wrote:
> On 28 Nov 2014 20:21:40 GMT, Jasen Betts <ja...@xnet.co.nz> wrote:

>>> Is is either of them a database program, then?
>>
>>Maybe.
>>
>>In your opinion, what properties and capabilities does
>>a "database program" have?
>
> It stores information in the form of records that can be sorted, searched and
> manipulated in various ways.

how it that different from say, usenet, or a spreadsheet?

> Saying that they differ in "everything" implies that they can no more be
> compared than you can compare the breast stroke with polarized light.

it's more like chalk and cheese,

--
umop apisdn

Gary R. Schmidt

Nov 29, 2014, 8:34:08 AM11/29/14
On 29/11/2014 10:15 PM, Jasen Betts wrote:
> On 2014-11-29, Steve Hayes <haye...@telkomsa.net> wrote:

>>> Maybe.
>>>
>>> In your opinion, what properties and capabilities does
>>> a "database program" have?
>>
>> It stores information in the form of records that can be sorted, searched and
>> manipulated in various ways.
>
> how it that different from say, usenet, or a spreadsheet?

Or, for that matter, a flat file?

>> Saying that they differ in "everything" implies that they can no more be
>> compared than you can compare the breast stroke with polarized light.
>
> it's more like chalk and cheese,

Or Client-Server versus Direct-Manipulation.

Cheers,
Gary B-)

--
When men talk to their friends, they insult each other.
They don't really mean it.

Steve Hayes

Nov 29, 2014, 2:14:59 PM11/29/14
On 29 Nov 2014 11:15:42 GMT, Jasen Betts <ja...@xnet.co.nz> wrote:

>On 2014-11-29, Steve Hayes <haye...@telkomsa.net> wrote:

>>>Maybe.
>>>
>>>In your opinion, what properties and capabilities does
>>>a "database program" have?
>>
>> It stores information in the form of records that can be sorted, searched and
>> manipulated in various ways.
>
>how it that different from say, usenet, or a spreadsheet?

Or a pencil sharpener, or butter churn, for that matter.

Well, yes, it is possible to press most spreadsheet programs into use as
database4 programs. My wife does it.

But usenet?

I save some useful and informative usenet posts in a database to be able to
refer to them later, but so far nothing in this thread has qualified for such
treatment.

>> Saying that they differ in "everything" implies that they can no more be
>> compared than you can compare the breast stroke with polarized light.
>
>it's more like chalk and cheese,

Steve Hayes

Nov 29, 2014, 2:20:37 PM11/29/14
On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 00:31:57 +1100, "Gary R. Schmidt" <grsc...@acm.org>
wrote:

>On 29/11/2014 10:15 PM, Jasen Betts wrote:

>Or Client-Server versus Direct-Manipulation.

So the difference is that the former is Client-Server and the latter is direct
manipulation?

Steve Hayes

Nov 29, 2014, 2:25:26 PM11/29/14
I want to know which one is likely to be more useful to me, and thought there
might be some people who are familiar with both who might be able to describer
the differences in a paragraph or two.

Lennart Jonsson

Nov 29, 2014, 4:09:09 PM11/29/14
On 11/29/2014 08:25 PM, Steve Hayes wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Nov 2014 08:03:07 +0100, Lennart Jonsson
> <erik.lenna...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On 11/27/2014 05:28 AM, Steve Hayes wrote:
>>> What's the difference between SQLite and MySQL?
>>>

>>You have to be more specific if you want meaningful answers. On a macro
>>level They are both artefacts that run on computers so in that sense
>>there is no difference. On the other hand there primary usage differ,
>>they don't share any code, etc. so you could say that everything
>>differs. Why do you want to know, what is the reason for your question?
>
> I want to know which one is likely to be more useful to me, and thought there
> might be some people who are familiar with both who might be able to describer
> the differences in a paragraph or two.

Perhaps you should reveal your usage of it? I'm pretty sure that a
context will give you more useful answers.

/Lennart

Jasen Betts

Nov 29, 2014, 4:30:52 PM11/29/14
On 2014-11-29, Steve Hayes <haye...@telkomsa.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Nov 2014 08:03:07 +0100, Lennart Jonsson
><erik.lenna...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On 11/27/2014 05:28 AM, Steve Hayes wrote:
>>> What's the difference between SQLite and MySQL?
>>>

>>You have to be more specific if you want meaningful answers. On a macro
>>level They are both artefacts that run on computers so in that sense
>>there is no difference. On the other hand there primary usage differ,
>>they don't share any code, etc. so you could say that everything
>>differs. Why do you want to know, what is the reason for your question?
>
> I want to know which one is likely to be more useful to me, and thought there
> might be some people who are familiar with both who might be able to describer
> the differences in a paragraph or two.

There are, but the only person here who knows what use you want to put
it to has not shared that infoirmation.

--
umop apisde

Gary R. Schmidt

Nov 29, 2014, 7:04:09 PM11/29/14
On 30/11/2014 6:20 AM, Steve Hayes wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 00:31:57 +1100, "Gary R. Schmidt" <grsc...@acm.org>
> wrote:

>> Or Client-Server versus Direct-Manipulation.
>
> So the difference is that the former is Client-Server and the latter is direct
> manipulation?

If you had taken more than cursory look at their respective web pages,
you would already know the answer to that question.

If you want advice as to which is more suitable for the requirements you
have, you have to tell us those requirements.

Steve Hayes

Nov 30, 2014, 12:55:01 AM11/30/14
On Sat, 29 Nov 2014 22:09:05 +0100, Lennart Jonsson
I want to play around with it, and try out various things.

One of them is described here:

http://hayesgreene.blogspot.com/2011/05/event-based-history-and-genealogy.html

but there are others too.

It seems that SQLite may be able to do what I want, though whether I'll be
able to make it do what I want is another maTTER. I don't know enough about
MySQL. I'd heard and read more of it, than of SQLite, but seen no real
comparisons,

Gary R. Schmidt

Nov 30, 2014, 5:04:08 AM11/30/14
The reason that you have seen no real comparisons is that they are aimed
at completely different markets.

One is aimed at the embedded systems and "I just need a small and
relatively complete relational database for this program" market.

The other is aimed solidly at the "I need a big-time relational database
with all the bells and whistles but DB/2 or Oracle or SQL Server or
Sybase just aren't my cup of tea" market.

If you are just after a database back-end for some programs you want to
fiddle around with, then SQLite is probably perfectly fine.

If, however, the programs are destined to be used in an environment
where tens or hundreds or thousands of users are going to hammer on the
database, then MySQL would be the better choice.

Steve Hayes

Nov 30, 2014, 12:18:18 PM11/30/14
On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 21:00:14 +1100, "Gary R. Schmidt" <grsc...@acm.org>
wrote:
Thanks. Looks like SQLite would be better for what I want to do.