Have I installed ASE correctly?

lisa_p...@my-deja.com

Sep 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/28/00
Hi

I’ve just installed adaptive server 11_0_3_3-6. Installation went fine,
but when I type any of the folowing:
sp_help
sp_help sysobjects
show databases

There is something about Stored procedure’ ‘ not found. Specify
owner.objectname or use .........

Is this supposed to happen?

Thanks
Lisa

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Carl Doan

Sep 28, 2000, 9:13:28 PM9/28/00
lisa_p...@my-deja.com wrote:

> Hi
>
> I?ve just installed adaptive server 11_0_3_3-6. Installation went fine,

> but when I type any of the folowing:
> sp_help
> sp_help sysobjects
> show databases
>

> There is something about Stored procedure? ? not found. Specify

> owner.objectname or use .........
>
> Is this supposed to happen?
>
> Thanks
> Lisa
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

sp_help should return something. If you are getting a message that the
command or stored procedure doesn't exist then there is a problem.

sp_help by itself should list the objects of the database you are in.

show database will not work and I think it is an Oracle command.

Try either reinstalling master from $SYBASE/scripts/installmaster (isql
-Usa -i $SYBASE/installmaster) or rebuild your dataserver and verify the
stored procs are going in ok. Check your sybsystemprocs database; make
sure it exists. You can verify the database exists by

select * from sysdatabases

and check for an entry for sybsystemprocs. Run the installmaster script
if sybsystemprocs exists. Check for errors as it does its work.

CD

lisa_p...@my-deja.com

Sep 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/29/00
In article <39D3F1AB...@home.com>,

Thanks for replying.

When I typed: bin/isql –Usa –P (isql is located in bin) the message was:
Operating syatem errror:
Connection refused
DB-LIBRARY error:
Unable to connect: SQL Server is unavailable or does not exist.

This is strange because when I installed Sybase this command worked. So
did the following:

sp_who
sp_helpdb
use pubs2
use master
sp_configure

Basicaly, I can not seem to get the server prompt. So nothing happened
with:
select * from sysdatabases

Furthermore, when I type startserver & I get the message:
Cannot execute file RUN_SYBASE

Thanks,
Lisa.

Bret Halford

Sep 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/29/00
My comments imbedded...

> When I typed: bin/isql –Usa –P (isql is located in bin) the message was:
> Operating syatem errror:
> Connection refused
> DB-LIBRARY error:
> Unable to connect: SQL Server is unavailable or does not exist.

Sounds like either a) your server has a name other than the default "SYBASE"
or b)
you have not set the DSQUERY environment variable

> This is strange because when I installed Sybase this command worked. So
> did the following:
>
> sp_who
> sp_helpdb
> use pubs2
> use master
> sp_configure
>
> Basicaly, I can not seem to get the server prompt. So nothing happened
> with:
> select * from sysdatabases
>
> Furthermore, when I type startserver & I get the message:
> Cannot execute file RUN_SYBASE

Are you specifying just "startserver"? Try running "startserver -f
RUN_<your server name here>",
ie the name of the RUN_* file that should be in $SYBASE/install or
$SYBASE/ASE_12.0/install

-bret

Larry Coon

Sep 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/29/00
lisa_p...@my-deja.com wrote:

> Thanks for replying.

> When I typed: bin/isql –Usa –P (isql is located in bin) the message was:

I think you also need -Sservername

> Operating syatem errror:
> Connection refused
> DB-LIBRARY error:
> Unable to connect: SQL Server is unavailable or does not exist.
>

> This is strange because when I installed Sybase this command worked. So
> did the following:
>
> sp_who
> sp_helpdb
> use pubs2
> use master
> sp_configure

You can't do any of these until you are in isql, so
until that works, trying anything else is pointless.

> Basicaly, I can not seem to get the server prompt. So nothing happened
> with:
> select * from sysdatabases
>
> Furthermore, when I type startserver & I get the message:
> Cannot execute file RUN_SYBASE

showserver will tell you if Sybase is running (it's in the
install directory). But my guess is that you couldn't start
isql because of the missing -S param.

Larry Coon
University of California
la...@assist.org
and lmc...@home.com

Anthony Mandic

Sep 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/30/00

lisa_p...@my-deja.com wrote:

> I’ve just installed adaptive server 11_0_3_3-6. Installation went fine,

> but when I type any of the folowing:
> sp_help
> sp_help sysobjects
> show databases
>

> There is something about Stored procedure’ ‘ not found. Specify

> owner.objectname or use .........
>
> Is this supposed to happen?

No. Does the sybsystemprocs db exist? Was the installmaster
script run?

-am

http://www.usenet.com

lisa_p...@my-deja.com

Sep 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/30/00
In article <8r0m0a$kf$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
lisa_p...@my-deja.com wrote:
> Hi

> I’ve just installed adaptive server 11_0_3_3-6. Installation went
fine,
> but when I type any of the folowing:
> sp_help
> sp_help sysobjects
> show databases
>
> There is something about Stored procedure’ ‘ not found. Specify
> owner.objectname or use .........
>
> Is this supposed to happen?
>
> Thanks
> Lisa
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sorry, perhaps I should start from where the errors began.

When I tried to configure connectivity products. All three returned
some error. Number 1 was:

WARNING: You do not have write permission for ‘/opt/sybase’. Write
permission to this directory may be required latter; please resolve
before continuing.
Running task: initialize Open Client Library.
Successfully initialized 'Open Client Library'. Press to continue.
Task succeeded: initialize Open Client Library. Configuration completed
successfully. Press to continue.
Cannot open file ‘/opt/sybase/init/cllib/config.ts’. Operating system
returned: Permission denied.

For the OPen Server Library the file
was: ‘/opt/sybase/init/srvlib/config.ts’
For the Embedded SQL/C Precomp the file
was: ‘/opt/sybase/init/lesql.c/config.ts’

I carried on. The following tests worked:
select @@version, sp_who, SYB_BACKUP...sp_who.

But this one caused an error: isql -Usa -P -i
${SYBASE}/scripts/installpubs2
The error was: Unable to open input file ‘/scripts/installpubs2’

The backup and main server shutdown ok.
When I tried : ./startserver -f ./RUN_SYBASE
I received the following error:

00:2000/09/28 06:35:20.93 kernel Using config area from primary master
device. 00:2000/09/28 06:35:20.93 kernel Warning: Using default
file '/opt/sybase/SYBASE.cfg' since a configuration file was not
specified. Specify a configuration file name in the RUNSERVER file to
avoid this message.
00:2000/09/28 06:35:20.93 kernel os_find_good_keyfile: Could not
unlink /opt/sybase/SYBASE.krg: Permission denied
00:2000/09/28 06:35:20.93 kernel kbcreate: couldn’t get shmid for
kernel region.
00:2000/09/28 06:35:20.93 kickstartup: could not create shared memory

What could be wrong?

Carl Doan

Sep 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/30/00
lisa_p...@my-deja.com wrote:

> In article <8r0m0a$kf$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
> lisa_p...@my-deja.com wrote:
> > Hi
> >

> > I?ve just installed adaptive server 11_0_3_3-6. Installation went

> fine,
> > but when I type any of the folowing:
> > sp_help
> > sp_help sysobjects
> > show databases
> >

> > There is something about Stored procedure? ? not found. Specify

> > owner.objectname or use .........
> >
> > Is this supposed to happen?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Lisa
> >
> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.
> >

> Sorry, perhaps I should start from where the errors began.
>
> When I tried to configure connectivity products. All three returned
> some error. Number 1 was:
>

> WARNING: You do not have write permission for ?/opt/sybase?. Write

> permission to this directory may be required latter; please resolve
> before continuing.
> Running task: initialize Open Client Library.
> Successfully initialized 'Open Client Library'. Press to continue.
> Task succeeded: initialize Open Client Library. Configuration completed
> successfully. Press to continue.

> Cannot open file ?/opt/sybase/init/cllib/config.ts?. Operating system

> returned: Permission denied.
>
> For the OPen Server Library the file

> was: ?/opt/sybase/init/srvlib/config.ts?

> For the Embedded SQL/C Precomp the file

> was: ?/opt/sybase/init/lesql.c/config.ts?

> I carried on. The following tests worked:
> select @@version, sp_who, SYB_BACKUP...sp_who.
>
> But this one caused an error: isql -Usa -P -i
> ${SYBASE}/scripts/installpubs2

> The error was: Unable to open input file ?/scripts/installpubs2?

> The backup and main server shutdown ok.
> When I tried : ./startserver -f ./RUN_SYBASE
> I received the following error:
>
> 00:2000/09/28 06:35:20.93 kernel Using config area from primary master
> device. 00:2000/09/28 06:35:20.93 kernel Warning: Using default
> file '/opt/sybase/SYBASE.cfg' since a configuration file was not
> specified. Specify a configuration file name in the RUNSERVER file to
> avoid this message.
> 00:2000/09/28 06:35:20.93 kernel os_find_good_keyfile: Could not
> unlink /opt/sybase/SYBASE.krg: Permission denied

> 00:2000/09/28 06:35:20.93 kernel kbcreate: couldn?t get shmid for

> kernel region.
> 00:2000/09/28 06:35:20.93 kickstartup: could not create shared memory
>
> What could be wrong?
>
> Thanks
> Lisa
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

There is something wrong with your install. Are the files in
$SYBASE owned by sybase? If not, are they read and writable to all? When
you create and start up a dataserver, a .krg file will get created in
$SYBASE. Information about how to start your dataserver will be in
$SYBASE/install. If all the files are owned by sybase, and you can read
and write to the directories as sybase, are you trying to install these
connectivity tool through another account? Verify your $SYBASE variable
is set properly too,

CD

lisa_p...@my-deja.com

Oct 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/1/00
In article <39D65065...@home.com>,

I changed the file permission and the installation seemed to be fine
until I tried to start the server. I typed:

install/startserver &

There was an error:

[1] 583
Cannot execute file RUN_SYBASE
[1]+ Exit 255 install/startserver

The permission for this file was

-rwxrwxrwx 1 sybase sybase 401 Sep 29
16:29
RUN_SYBASE

Carl Doan

Oct 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/1/00
lisa_p...@my-deja.com wrote:

Do the following:

cd $SYBASE/install

ls -l | grep RUN

You should see about two RUN files. They should be in the format of
RUN_<your dataserver name>. For instance, if you called it PROD_SRVR,
then you should see a run file of RUN_PROD_SRVR. The backup server (if
you built it already) should be there too. When you start your
dataserver, you want to run the RUN file, or use startserver to start it
for you. Continuing with the commands:

./startserver -f ./RUN_<dataserver name>

Note the period before the "/". If $SYBASE/install is not in your path
nor is ".", then you will need "./" to preceed the commands.

That should start up your dataserver. Next thing to do is verify your
DSQUERY is set to your dataserver. For instance "echo $DSQUERY" should
output PROD_SRVR if you used the last examples.

Now log on to your dataserver:

isql -Usa <enter>
<enter>

now set the passwd or what ever else you need to do.

From here, you should be able to do a sp_helpdb to get the status of your
databases.

Carl

lisa_p...@my-deja.com

Oct 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/2/00
In article <39D7D4A3...@home.com>,

Hi

>>./startserver -f ./RUN_<dataserver name>

When I tried this it appeared to work.

>>Next thing to do is verify your DSQUERY is set to your dataserver.
>>For instance "echo $DSQUERY" should output PROD_SRVR if you used the
last examples.

I was not sure how to do this. But I typed at the prompt i.e
]$ echo $DSQUERY
but nothing happened.

>>Now log on to your dataserver:
>>isql -Usa <enter>
>><enter>

isql –Usa did not work, but bin/isql –Usa did. Do you know why?

>>now set the passwd or what ever else you need to do.

After typing bin/isql –Usa I received a prompt for my password. I
entered the password set at the beginning of installation, but login
failed.
The error message was:
Msg 4002, Level 14, State 1:
Login failed.
DB-LIBRARY error:
Login incorrect.

Carl Doan

Oct 3, 2000, 1:39:18 AM10/3/00
lisa_p...@my-deja.com wrote:

> isql -Usa did not work, but bin/isql -Usa did. Do you know why?

> >>now set the passwd or what ever else you need to do.

> After typing bin/isql -Usa I received a prompt for my password. I

> entered the password set at the beginning of installation, but login
> failed.
> The error message was:
> Msg 4002, Level 14, State 1:
> Login failed.
> DB-LIBRARY error:
> Login incorrect.
>
> Thanks
> Lisa
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Lisa,

depending on the OS and shell you use, you need to set up your .cshrc or
.profile.

I think you are using ksh or bourne shell, which means you should have a
.profile.

In that .profile you will need to set up some environments.

export SYBASE=/opt/sybase (this should be the path to your sybase
installation)
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$SYBASE/lib
export PATH=$SYBASE/bin:$PATH:. (this is the one that affects how commands
are called).

With that last line, you are telling the OS to search for commands in the
path you have laid out. That will make "isql" work and you will not have
to specify "bin/isql" every time.

As for DSQUERY, it is not totally necessary if you are using the "-S"
parameter of isql, but to set it, add:

export DSQUERY="PROD_SRVR"

to the .profile script in your home directory.

If you have never logged on to your system, you will need to press
<enter> when it asks for your password. If you have changed the password
in the past, from a previous "sa" log on, then the problem is with your
DSQUERY.

Here are some other ways around that problem

isql -Usa -S<your_server_name>
<enter password>

That should get you in.

If you are still having probs, feel free to email me at carl...@home.com

CD

ben...@my-deja.com

Oct 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/3/00
Did you notice that the log showed some indication on Shared Memory not
being allocated. Check the shmmax setting on the OS side and restart
the server. Plus see that the sybase (Unix) UID has full privileges on
the mount point where Sybase is installed.

And regarding the prob like "procedure not found", either look for the
database Sybsystemprocs. If it exists then see that the
DBOPTION "select into bulk copy" is turned on in the tempdb database.

-Ben