HELP : TDS state error following dead connection

?

Oct 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/14/98
Hello all,

I have a problem with Sybase connections/context in an application we
wrote in Metrowerks C/C++ using the Sybase Open Client Libraries running
on a Macintosh. We have classes that have been used for about 3 years
and have been ported to Sun Solaris and Windows95. Only when large
amounts of files are transfered from/to the database have I seen the
following errors in the error log files. (Note bulk libs are really not
an option here.)

Open Client Message:
Message number: LAYER = (4) ORIGIN = (2) SEVERITY = (6) NUMBER = (36)
Message String: ct_send(): protocol specific layer: internal Client
Library error: There is a tds state machine error. An illegal tds token
sequence was received.
Client Time: Wed Oct 14 13:43:32 1998

Open Client Message:
Message number: LAYER = (1) ORIGIN = (1) SEVERITY = (1) NUMBER = (50)
Message String: ct_cmd_alloc(): user api layer: external error: The
connection has been marked dead.
Client Time: Wed Oct 14 13:43:32 1998

<here on out a command structure can not be created (obviously if the
connection is dead)>

(now for the questions)

Has anyone seen this behavior before?
What would cause this? Is it hardware problem such as a bad hub,
library bugs, or something we are doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Gary Dezenberg
Sword Microsystems

Nick Morgan

Oct 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/15/98
You see this error if the charset that the client is working in does not
exist on the sql server.

Anthony Mandic wrote in message
<36257E31...@agd.nsw.gov.au_hormel.free>...

>? wrote:
>
>> Library error: There is a tds state machine error. An illegal tds token
>> sequence was received.

>> (now for the questions)
>>
>> Has anyone seen this behavior before?
>> What would cause this? Is it hardware problem such as a bad hub,
>> library bugs, or something we are doing wrong?
>

> Hard to say. I'd go for the latter. You could be corrupting
> the library or the data with some bad code. You'll have to
> work out what you were doing at the time. Is the problem
> exactly reproducible?
>
>-am

gus

Oct 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/15/98

Yes, I remember.

In powerbuilder, you had to set charset=latin1 in the connect parms. At
least at our site we did.

I think you have to put it in the SQL.ini file somewhere as well.

The above is sketchy, at best ;-)

gus