Running forms 6i on client

SUS...@amnutrition.com

Mar 13, 2002, 10:42:53 AM3/13/02
I am fairly new to Oracle forms.
This is Oracle 8i (on W2k)
Designer 6i/Forms 6i

I have developed a form in designer which I now desire to run on a client
machine. (Fresh pc with Win98 - NO Oracle installed)
I need to test this form in Client/Sever mode.

What is required on the client machine to be able to run(Test) this
generated form? And which CDs would have the programs?

damorgan

Mar 13, 2002, 2:34:06 PM3/13/02
Reading the documentation on the CD or at technet.oracle.com.

Daniel Morgan

Denis ALEXANDRE

Mar 13, 2002, 5:14:07 PM3/13/02
Read Install (using "Oracle Installer") on the client machine
only "Forms Runtime 6..." and "SQL*net Client",
then configure tnsnames.ora and sqlnet.ora manually or using
"Oracle Net 8 Assistant".
Configure with "regedit" FORMS60_PATH to point to
the directory with your forms *.fmb, *.fmx.
Run your forms in Client/Server Mode.

Then goto read in Help => Online docum.: Deploying Forms Appl. to the Web
:-)

Denis ALEXANDRE, al...@alexnet.fr
using Oracle since 1986 to build The Integrated Banking System :-)
http://www.alexnet.fr/

<SUS...@amnutrition.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
u8usru3...@corp.supernews.com...

SUS...@amnutrition.com

Mar 13, 2002, 5:24:42 PM3/13/02

"Denis ALEXANDRE" <al...@alexnet.fr> wrote in message
Thank you so very much for providing some direction. Going to read the
documents is fine when you have an idea of where to begin, else it's just a
gamble if you will come accross anything you need.

Ryan Gaffuri

Mar 13, 2002, 4:07:41 PM3/13/02
If your going to run this in client server mode, then you have to have forms
runtime loaded on each machine you are going to run it on. Then go to
regedit and find out where your forms60 path is. You can change it to the
directory of your choice(Id recommend doing this). Put your .fmx ones in
there. You can run the form by just clicking on it.

To connect to the database you need to have your network set up properly...
not my area sorry :(. Your gonna have to load some of the oracle database
software on your machine. Dont know how much. Its probably pretty easy to
find out in the documentation. You will also need to configure the database
you are going to run it against as a server and setup your NET8. There is a
book on this out there that is pretty decent, but there is a document on
technet that will tell you how to do it.

Docs Id suggest...

Forms Server http://otn.oracle.com/doc.pdf/forms/p4_deploy60.pdf

This is long and you dont need to read it all.

The NET8 documentation on technet. Dont know what else. You will have to set
up a few files also.

<SUS...@amnutrition.com> wrote in message

SUS...@amnutrition.com

Mar 13, 2002, 7:10:26 PM3/13/02

"Ryan Gaffuri" <rkg...@erols.com> wrote in message
Thanks for the info - somehow I missed this on in searching the documents.

Keld Nielsen

Mar 13, 2002, 7:33:35 PM3/13/02

"Ryan Gaffuri" <rkg...@erols.com> wrote in message
> If your going to run this in client server mode, then you have to have
forms
> runtime loaded on each machine you are going to run it on. Then go to
> regedit and find out where your forms60 path is. You can change it to the
> directory of your choice(Id recommend doing this). Put your .fmx ones in
> there. You can run the form by just clicking on it.

well, this is how it's done where I'm currently earning my 2c! - and
it's win - not Oracle !

Forms runtime loaded on each machine ? Why ?
copy forms runtime (and any other ora exe files which may be needed)
to a (mapped) drive where the users have access. Create a script which will
--
set the environment variable(s) :

FORMS60_PATH=<fmx location>;<oracle files location>
REPORTS... etc.

<start> forms runtime <parm whatever>
--
create a desktop link to the script on the client.

Regards

Surfnet

Mar 14, 2002, 4:44:43 PM3/14/02
Hello Keld,

how about System Support Files and Required Support Files (dll's and stuff)?
AFAIK these are required on every client. And pay attention to the
REPORTSxx_TMP variable, users need write permission there and you propably
don't want that on a network drive.

Regards, Joost

--
Joost Bataille
University of Amsterdam ICT centre

"Keld Nielsen" <keldn...@image.dk> wrote in message

Keld Nielsen

Mar 14, 2002, 6:29:10 PM3/14/02
Hello Joost,

Let's assume that the network drive that the users have access to is S:

then here's how we have done it:

1. all off the necessary Oracle dll's exe's etc. are on S:\ORA60NT\FORMS60

2. all of the generated fmx's, mmx's, pl/sql('private') libs etc. are on
S:\lib\BIN;S:\fmx\BIN;

3. users start the application (a bat file or script if you like) - through
a desktop link - which contains:
3.1 set environment variables (basically what's in the oracle patch in
registry) like
SET FORMS60=S:\ORA60NT\FORMS60
SET FORMS60_PATH=S:\lib\BIN;S:\fmx\BIN;
SET REPORTS60_TMP=%TEMP%

3.2 S:\Ora60NT\BIN\ifrun60.EXE S:\lib\BIN\startform.FMX /@whatever

If someone has a better and/or more elegant solution, I will be more than
happy to hear about it.

Regards, Keld

"Surfnet" <j.r.l.m.batai...@uva.nl> wrote in message

SUS...@amnutrition.com

Mar 14, 2002, 7:02:55 PM3/14/02

"Surfnet" <j.r.l.m.batai...@uva.nl> wrote in message
Are there other support files not installed when the runtime was installed?
It seems to have installed a lot of support files, although when I try to
run my form I am getting this error FRM-40039 Cannot attach library OFGTEL
while opening form. I am still searching for this library, any thoughts?

SUS...@amnutrition.com

Mar 14, 2002, 7:03:52 PM3/14/02

"Keld Nielsen" <keldn...@image.dk> wrote in message
This script looks great to me and I will probably adopt it.

Keld Nielsen

Mar 15, 2002, 8:28:25 AM3/15/02
Hi Joost,

I'm not saying that the files you mention are not needed,
rather that they are not needed on the client side
in order to run Forms & Report runtime.

Anyway - our clients
(mainly distributers placed all over the country (Denmark -
if any US person is reading this, then no it's not the capital of Sweden :-)
) do not have any Oracle related software installed on their client PC's.

I'm not sure though, whether the dll's etc. where copied
to the winnt\system32 net dir or installed from the server
(i.e. not through a network drive)

Have a nice week-end !
Regards, Keld

"Joost Bataille" <j.r.l.m.batai...@uva.nl> wrote in message
> Hello Keld,

> you wrote:
>
> > then here's how we have done it:
>

> Thanks for your reply.
> Indeed it seems possible to bypass the registry by setting environment
> variables in a batch file.
> I once did a Forms and Reports runtime install from cd on a network drive.
> then monitored which files from the cd where written by the installer on
the
> NT box from where I ran the installer. In the winnt\system32 directory for
> example the following files were written:
> COMDLG32.OCX
> CTL3D32.DLL
> HTMLWH.DLL
> MFC30.DLL
> MFC30DEU.DLL
> MFC30FRA.DLL
> MFC30JPN.DLL
> MFC30U.DLL
> MFC40U.NEW
> MFC42U.NEW
> MFCANS32.DLL
> MFCD30.DLL
> MFCN30.DLL
> MFCN30U.DLL
> MFCO30.DLL
> MFCO30U.DLL
> MFCUIA32.DLL
> MFCUIW32.DLL
> MSVCR40D.DLL
> MSVCRT2X.DLL
> OC30.DLL
> ODBC.DLL
> odbcinst.cnt
> ODBCINST.DLL
> odbcinst.hlp
> SQORA.CNT
> SQORA.HLP
>
> I have always thought they were necessary for Forms and Reports to run.
>
> Anyone an idea or suggestion?
>
> Regards, Joost

damorgan

Mar 15, 2002, 10:52:31 AM3/15/02
I'd take offense to your comment about Americans and geography ... were it not
basically true. <g>

Daniel Morgan

Keld Nielsen

Mar 15, 2002, 11:10:29 AM3/15/02
Mr. Morgan,

are you serious ?

if you are, then I'm sorry. Absolutely no offence meant. Just an - in your
case apparently - ill placed joke.

Keld Nielsen

"damorgan" <damo...@exesolutions.com> wrote in message

damorgan

Mar 15, 2002, 11:50:52 AM3/15/02
As an American ... I must say I am appalled by the lack of knowledge of
geography by my fellow citizens. It was only a few years back that students in
Florida were tested with a world globe to see if they could find their own state
... about 30% couldn't. And Florida isn't like Kansas which could be easily
missed ... it does rather stick out in an obvious place.

So likely a substantial number of my fellow citizens would have a hard time with
Denmark. Perhaps if there were a war there it would help. <g> I think we're
beginning to get the hang of South Central Asia.

Joost Bataille

Mar 15, 2002, 11:34:18 AM3/15/02
Hello Susott,

the OFGTEL library is not a system support file, it belongs to the
application. Actually it's a library that's used by Oracle Designer and
attached at compile time. It is needed in the runtime environment so it
should be in the directory(s) of your registry FORMxx_PATH.
Look for it in your oracle_home.

It's is possible that your application wants it in a compiled form, as .plx.

Regards, Joost

--
Joost Bataille
University of Amsterdam ICT centre
www.ic.uva.nl

<SUS...@amnutrition.com> wrote in message

Keld Nielsen

Mar 15, 2002, 12:35:38 PM3/15/02
Many thanks for your reply !

Seems like I misunderstood the <g> thing.

Would like to comment (not that I disagree with what you are saying) but
wrong forum as
far as this issue is concerned).

Regards, Keld

"damorgan" <damo...@exesolutions.com> wrote in message

SUS...@amnutrition.com

Mar 15, 2002, 1:09:47 PM3/15/02

"Joost Bataille" <j.r.l.m.batai...@uva.nl> wrote in message
Thank you for your thoughts but,
I tried copying the OFGTEL.PLL and OFGTEL.PLX into the directory with the
FMX, the orawin95\bin\, the orawin95\forms60\ directories and tried to run
the form after each copy. I am still receiving the error. must this plx
come from the same compiling of the form (I can't use a plx from a different
machine)?

Keld Nielsen

Mar 15, 2002, 2:31:40 PM3/15/02
is that lib (or rather libs, because designer - and later on forms -
are using 5 or 6 those ofg libs) attached to your form(s) through
a non portable directory specification ?

<SUS...@amnutrition.com> wrote in message

SUS...@amnutrition.com

Mar 15, 2002, 3:24:42 PM3/15/02

"Keld Nielsen" <keldn...@image.dk> wrote in message
Excuse me, but what is a non portable directory specification?

Keld Nielsen

Mar 15, 2002, 4:10:57 PM3/15/02
should be done through a template, however

let's say you have opened a form and would like to attach a library
(obviously you havent tried this !)

now please don't ask why one would want to attach a library.

form builder --> click attached libraries --> click on the green +
--> click on browse (find a pll or plx you want to attach) and
when you have found what you want to attach, what does it say
when you press the attach button ?

come on, don't you think you aught to do just a little bit of work on your
own ?

eof as far as I'm concerned.

<SUS...@amnutrition.com> wrote in message

SUS...@amnutrition.com

Mar 15, 2002, 5:19:50 PM3/15/02

"Keld Nielsen" <keldn...@image.dk> wrote in message
Thanks for the information. No, I haven't been in form builder much as the
decision was made to do as much as possible in designer. When generating
the form in designer, this option doesn't seem to be available (I will do
more research on this in designer, forms, and manuals).