DBDesigner and SQL*Plus: Connection Trouble

HugeBob

Apr 27, 2007, 2:35:46 PM4/27/07
Hi All,

I'd like to use DBDesigner 4 with Oracle 9i. But, I'm having trouble
connecting. Even though I'm using the connection info created by
Oracle Net Configuration Assistant (ONCA). I've verified that ONCA
writes to my TNSNAMES.ORA file. Other applications like Oracle
Enterprise Manager Console (OEMC) and Oracle Net Manager (ONM) see the
connections in the names file. But, when I fire up DBDesigner and
supply it with the service names in the TNSNAMES.ORA file, I get 12154
errors: i.e., "Could not resolve service name". I get the same error
when I use SQL*Plus. This leads me to believe that the two
applications are not reading the proper file or something. Can anyone
shed light on what's going on?

Thanks.

sybr...@hccnet.nl

Apr 27, 2007, 3:34:07 PM4/27/07

multiple tnsnames.ora's on the server, TNS_ADMIN not being set.
Dealt with in this forum over and over and over again.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA

HugeBob

Apr 27, 2007, 5:34:31 PM4/27/07
On Apr 27, 3:34 pm, sybra...@hccnet.nl wrote:

> multiple tnsnames.ora's on the server, TNS_ADMIN not being set.
> Dealt with in this forum over and over and over again.
>
> --
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA

Hi Sybrand,

Thanks for responding. I found more than one tnsnames.ora files on
the server:

%ORACLE_HOME%\hs\admin\tnsnames.ora.sample (does this one matter?)
%ORACLE_HOME%\admin\tnsnames.ora
%ORACLE_HOME%\admin\sample\tnsnames.ora

Now, on my client, I found several tnsnames*.bak files along with:
C:\oracle\network\admin\sample\tnsnames.ora (does this one matter?)
C:\oracle\network\admin\tnsnames.ora
In the registry on my client, I found several branches off Oracle
\ALL_HOMES: ID0, ID1 and ID2. ID0\PATH contains S:\...\oracle\network
\admin. I checked that folder and there is a TNSNAMES.ORA file there.
Could this be the problem?

Would removing/renaming all but D:\oracle\ora92\admin\tnsnames.ora on
the server and C:\oracle\network\admin\tnsnames.ora on my client
help? Also, what does TNS_ADMIN do and what should it be set to?

sybr...@hccnet.nl

Apr 28, 2007, 1:18:38 AM4/28/07

OK, yet again.

You have multiple homes.
By default each product will use the tnsnames.ora in
%ORACLE_HOME%\network\admin.
So
1 you are using at least 2 different tnsnames.ora's
2 the files in directories named 'sample' are just that and won't be
used
3 you either need to synchronize the tnsnames.ora's manually OR set
TNS_ADMIN. Oracle looks in the directory pointed to by TNS_ADMIN,
followed by %ORACLE_HOME%\network\admin and the default directory.

And finally, yes, as this is all documented,you belong to the 99.9
percent of posters here, that
a) don't search Google
b) don't read the documentation. Obviously, the question 'what's
TNS_ADMIN?' can be answered by the documentation.

This is sooooo boring.

HugeBob

May 3, 2007, 11:05:05 AM5/3/07
Well, I configured the environment variable TNS_ADMIN to point to the
folder containing the correct TNSNAMES.ora. DBDesigner still doesn't
connect. Neither does SQL*Plus. Is there a way I could know for sure
where these programs are looking?

DA Morgan

May 3, 2007, 11:14:24 AM5/3/07

Start by not top posting. Scroll to the bottom to reply.

Then in your SQLNET.ORA initiate SQLNET tracing. You will find the
syntax at http://tahiti.oracle.com or in Morgan's Library, under
SQLNET.ORA, at www.psoug.org.
--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington

HugeBob

May 4, 2007, 12:17:15 PM5/4/07
> syntax athttp://tahiti.oracle.comor in Morgan's Library, under

> SQLNET.ORA, atwww.psoug.org.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington
> damor...@x.washington.edu

> (replace x with u to respond)

I'm sorry. I'm not an Oracle guru. I decided to start from scratch
and remove my Oracle client and anything else related to Oracle from
my system. I checked the registry and removed all references to
Oracle from there. I reinstalled the client and related apps. Now,
everything in the registry points to this new install as does
TNS_ADMIN. There are no TNSNAMES.ORA files anywhere except in the
SAMPLE folder. STILL, SQL*Plus and DBDesigner will not connect. Yet
all the other Oracle apps work fine. I placed the following in
SQLNET.ORA for tracing:

NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH=(HOSTNAME)
NAMES.DEFAULT_DOMAIN=my.domain.somewhere
SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES=(NTS)
LOG_DIRECTORY_CLIENT=C:\ORACLE92\NETWORK\LOG
LOG_FILE_CLIENT=sqlnetClient.log
TRACE_DIRECTORY_CLIENT
TRACE_FILE_CLIENT
TRACE_LEVEL_CLIENT=admin
TRACE_UNIQUE_CLIENT=true

Is tracing/logging automatic once it's enabled in the SQLNET.ORA file
or is some other client used? I was thinking that when tracing was
enabled that results would be automatically placed in the target file.

sybr...@hccnet.nl

May 4, 2007, 5:26:32 PM5/4/07
On 4 May 2007 09:17:15 -0700, HugeBob <rnu...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I placed the following in
>SQLNET.ORA for tracing:
>
>NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH=(HOSTNAME)
>NAMES.DEFAULT_DOMAIN=my.domain.somewhere
>SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES=(NTS)
>LOG_DIRECTORY_CLIENT=C:\ORACLE92\NETWORK\LOG
>LOG_FILE_CLIENT=sqlnetClient.log
>TRACE_DIRECTORY_CLIENT
>TRACE_FILE_CLIENT
>TRACE_LEVEL_CLIENT=admin
>TRACE_UNIQUE_CLIENT=true
>
>Is tracing/logging automatic once it's enabled in the SQLNET.ORA file
>or is some other client used? I was thinking that when tracing was
>enabled that results would be automatically placed in the target file.

1 NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH=(HOSTNAME)
This option has been specifically set up by Oracle to make sure people
didn't have to set up a tnsnames.ora. Basically, it allows only one
database.
Anyway: your tnsnames.ora will be IGNORED, as you didn't include
,TNSNAMES in NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH
2 TRACE_DIRECTORY_CLIENT
The syntax is TRACE_DIRECTORY_CLIENT=<directory>.
There is no default.
3 TRACE_FILE_CLIENT
The syntax is TRACE_FILE_CLIENT=<filename>.
There is no default
4 I would rephrase the last sentence as
'I was thinking you guys would resolve all my problems, as I am not a
guru, so I can't be bothered reading the manuals'

HugeBob

May 7, 2007, 11:10:59 AM5/7/07

Sybrand,

As grateful as I am for your assistance, I think I could have done
without the sarcastic lambasting. After all, we're not all senior
Oracle DBA's out here. For manuals to be of any worth, IMO, one has
to have some comfort level with the topic at hand. If I have
information that someone needs, I merely pass it on. No sarcasm, no
insult, no belittlement? If this is what gives you some sort of ego
boost, then, you have my sympathy. If you're bored, may I suggest a
hobby, grad school, a significant other and/or parenthood? LOL, you
won't be bored long with the last two. Again, thanks for the info.
I'm able to connect via SQL*Plus and DB designer now. And I'll pass
on what I've learned. That is, been so graciously given.