Fatal NI connect error 12203

nujc...@googlemail.com

Oct 30, 2007, 6:04:51 AM10/30/07
Trying to use link tables via ODBC using Oracle driver within MS
Access, I received the following error message

1. Within MS Access, ORA-12154: TNS: could not resolve service
name.... Driver's SQLSetConnectAttr failed IM006 0

2. Errors within SQLnet.log

Fatal NI connect error 12203, connecting to:
(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=BEQ)(PROGRAM=oracle80)
(ARGV0=oracle80ORCL)(ARGS='(DESCRIPTION=(LOCAL=YES)
(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=beq)))')))(CONNECT_DATA=(SID=ORCL)(CID=(PROGRAM=C:
\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\MSACCESS.EXE)(HOST=BTC300397)
(USER=nh2952))))

VERSION INFORMATION:
TNS for 32-bit Windows: Version 8.0.6.0.0 - Production
Oracle Bequeath NT Protocol Adapter for 32-bit Windows: Version
8.0.6.0.0 - Production
Time: 29-OCT-07 15:52:17
Tracing not turned on.
Tns error struct:
nr err code: 12203
TNS-12203: TNS:unable to connect to destination
ns main err code: 12560
TNS-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
ns secondary err code: 0
nt main err code: 530
TNS-00530: Protocol adapter error
nt secondary err code: 0
nt OS err code: 0

I dont have SQL Plus installed on my machine, is this relevant?
Help please anyone?
Much appreciated

Peppe

DA Morgan

Oct 30, 2007, 11:46:59 AM10/30/07

Please understand that the version of Oracle you have is so old that
when it was new dinosaurs walked the earth. In fact so old I can barely
remember working with it. Any chance you could get a copy of Oracle to
use that is supported on current operating systems and with current
drivers?
--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington

EdStevens

Oct 30, 2007, 4:22:23 PM10/30/07

Aside from the fact that you are using a version of Oracle that hasn't
been supported in this millennium, did you look up what a ORA-12154
indicates?

Not having SQL*Plus installed, per se, is not an issue, but it does
indicate that you probably don't have an Oracle client installation at
all, and that *is* a fundamental requirement.

Which version of Windows?
Which ODBC driver?
Is your database on the same machine as Access?
What does your sqlnet.ora and tnsnames.ora file (on the Access
machine) look like?

Frank van Bortel

Oct 31, 2007, 4:06:52 PM10/31/07

In addition to what Ed says, this setup tries to:
- use oracle V8.0
- connect to an instance, called ORCL
- on the same machine, you start access from
(which strikes me as odd - why use access
when you have a database?!?).

Back to you:
- do you have the Oracle databse software on this machine?
- did you create a database?
- did you call it ORCL?

If any of these questions is answered with 'No', get
someone to install the Oracle 8.0 client software; the
network stack is sufficient.
Get someone to configure SQL*Net, and retry...

And no - not having SQL*Plus does not matter - if you had it,
I would have known you had the Oracle network stack installed,
so, basically - it would have helped.

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel