Error 3146 - ODBC Call failed

Niranjan

Dec 29, 2008, 7:30:58 PM12/29/08
Hi everyone
We just upsized to SQL server (Access 2003 front end). I am running
into error 3146 on a particular table. Part of my code, I have a
simple delete SQL statement and I am getting an error on this
statement.

CurrentDb.Execute "Delete * from [Raw Import Table];", dbSeeChanges

Raw Import Table has a PK (ID - Autonumber).

Does anyone know how to fix it?

Laurenz Albe

Dec 30, 2008, 3:03:55 AM12/30/08

Easy, just use Oracle instead.

You have come to the right group!

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

DA Morgan

Dec 30, 2008, 12:00:19 PM12/30/08

SQL Server is not an Oracle product so we can not help you with
your current issue using your existing RDBMS. But if you were
to move to Oracle with a real front-end such as HTML_DB, a substantial
improvement by almost any measure, the issue would not exist.
--
Daniel A. Morgan
Oracle Ace Director & Instructor

Mark D Powell

Dec 31, 2008, 10:56:21 AM12/31/08
On Dec 30, 12:00 pm, DA Morgan <damor...@psoug.org> wrote:
> Niranjan wrote:
> > Hi everyone
> > We just upsized to SQL server (Access 2003 front end). I am running
> > into error 3146 on a particular table. Part of my code, I have a
> > simple delete SQL statement and I am getting an error on this
> > statement.
>
> > CurrentDb.Execute "Delete * from [Raw Import Table];", dbSeeChanges
>
> > Raw Import Table has a PK (ID - Autonumber).
>
> > Does anyone know how to fix it?
>
> SQL Server is not an Oracle product so we can not help you with
> your current issue using your existing RDBMS. But if you were
> to move to Oracle with a real front-end such as HTML_DB, a substantial
> improvement by almost any measure, the issue would not exist.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> Oracle Ace Director & Instructor
> University of Washington
> damor...@x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond)

Let it not be said that those of us on the Oracle newsgroup do not
always try to be helpful:

The 3146 is a catch all error that masks the real problem. Here is
one known issue where SQL Server database settings can cause the issue
and documents on the error and how to get more information.

PRB: DAO Run-Time Error 3146 When Modifying SQLServer Data
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/195225

How To Get More Information on the ODBC Call Failed Error
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/154510

Trappable Microsoft Jet and DAO Errors

HTH -- Mark D Powell --

sylvie....@gmail.com

Mar 4, 2014, 4:54:30 AM3/4/14
This run-time error 3146 occurs when the SQL server cannot return any number for a statement. When the servers unable to return a message which indicate the number of rows which is affected by the statement to be ready to execute. You have to SET NOCOUNT ON because it prevents SQL Server from sending DONE_IN_PROC messages for each statement which is executed in the store procedure.
http://www.r6034runtimeerrorfix.com

sylvie....@gmail.com

Mar 4, 2014, 6:00:15 AM3/4/14

sylvie....@gmail.com

Mar 4, 2014, 8:02:06 AM3/4/14

joel garry

Mar 4, 2014, 12:01:54 PM3/4/14
On Tuesday, March 4, 2014 1:54:30 AM UTC-8, sylvie....@gmail.com wrote:
> This run-time error 3146 occurs when the SQL server cannot return any number for a statement. When the servers unable to return a message which indicate the number of rows which is affected by the statement to be ready to execute. You have to SET NOCOUNT ON because it prevents SQL Server from sending DONE_IN_PROC messages for each statement which is executed in the store procedure.
>
> http://www.r6034runtimeerrorfix.com

Welcome to the group!

A couple of things to keep in mind:

This is an Oracle group, so SQL Server questions are off topic.

If you respond to a very old thread, you may look silly. Please check the dates of what you are responding to.

Everyone makes mistakes, the smart people learn a positive lesson from them.

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/oracle/2014/03/04/see-oracles-sci-fi-movie-cloud-odyssey-at-exclusive-screenings/