Using SQL server import & export wizard for the first time

ciaran...@gmail.com

Jan 27, 2009, 8:38:10 AM1/27/09

I've just installed SQL server 2008 having been used to 2000 and am
experiencing problems using the import wizard for the first time.

I have created a DB on my local machine and at the choose destination
step I receive the error below.
A little bit of online research makes me think that the wizard thinks
that the server on my local machine is not running, but it has been
started.

I suspect I just need to chage something simple, but frustratingly I
cannot figure out what the problem is.

Regards,
Ciarán

===================================

Could not retrieve table list. (SQL Server Import and Export Wizard)

===================================

Login timeout expired
A network-related or instance-specific error has occurred while
establishing a connection to SQL Server. Server is not found or not
accessible. Check if instance name is correct and if SQL Server is
configured to allow remote connections. For more information see SQL
Server Books Online.
Named Pipes Provider: Could not open a connection to SQL Server [2].
(Microsoft SQL Server Native Client 10.0)

------------------------------
Program Location:

at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnectionInternal..ctor
(OleDbConnectionString constr, OleDbConnection connection)
at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnectionFactory.CreateConnection
(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo,
DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningObject)
at
System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreateNonPooledConnection
(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPoolGroup poolGroup)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection
(DbConnection owningConnection)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection
(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory)
at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.Open()
at Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.DtsWizard.SQLServerForm.LoadDatabasesList
()

sql_noob

Jan 27, 2009, 12:36:59 PM1/27/09
check to see if the service is running and if you have a firewall on
your PC blocking the SQL traffic

also try to start the wizard from your PC and just specify the source

Erland Sommarskog

Jan 27, 2009, 5:10:51 PM1/27/09
(ciaran...@gmail.com) writes:
> I've just installed SQL server 2008 having been used to 2000 and am
> experiencing problems using the import wizard for the first time.
>
> I have created a DB on my local machine and at the choose destination
> step I receive the error below.
> A little bit of online research makes me think that the wizard thinks
> that the server on my local machine is not running, but it has been
> started.
>
> I suspect I just need to chage something simple, but frustratingly I
> cannot figure out what the problem is.

If you get it at Choose Destination, I would guess the error is with
the target server. Or are you importing data?

Which edition of SQL 2008 did you install? If you installed the Express
edition, Express installs by default as a named instance, SQLEXPRESS.

What exactly did you specify for the server that you cannot connect to?

--
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esq...@sommarskog.se

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

ciaran...@gmail.com

Jan 28, 2009, 4:12:38 AM1/28/09

> If you get it at Choose Destination, I would guess the error is with
> the target server. Or are you importing data?

- yes I am importing data. I get the error at the Choose Destination
stage, when I click the drop down box to choose a Database.

> Which edition of SQL 2008 did you install? If you installed the Express
> edition, Express installs by default as a named instance, SQLEXPRESS.

I've installed the full version of SQL 2008

> What exactly did you specify for the server that you cannot connect to?

I'm trying to specify the target database for the data to be imported
to.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong???

Erland Sommarskog

Jan 28, 2009, 9:26:40 AM1/28/09
(ciaran...@gmail.com) writes:
>> If you get it at Choose Destination, I would guess the error is with
>> the target server. Or are you importing data?
>
> - yes I am importing data. I get the error at the Choose Destination
> stage, when I click the drop down box to choose a Database.

And you want to import data to a database on the local server?

>> Which edition of SQL 2008 did you install? If you installed the Express
>> edition, Express installs by default as a named instance, SQLEXPRESS.
>

> I've installed the full version of SQL 2008

And which edition is this?

>> What exactly did you specify for the server that you cannot connect to?
>
> I'm trying to specify the target database for the data to be imported
> to.
>
> Any ideas what I'm doing wrong???

Right now your error is that you don't answer the questions I'm asking
you. Without access to your machine, I am entirely dependent on your
answers to be able to help you.

So, at some point when you ran the wizard, you did specify a server,
didn't you? But what you did you specify?

Are you able to connect to the server through a query window in Mgmt
Studio? In such case, what do you specify for the server in that case?
If you attempt to connect with SQLCMD from the command line, are you
able to connect?

--
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esq...@sommarskog.se

Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at
Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at

ciaran...@gmail.com

Jan 28, 2009, 10:28:15 AM1/28/09
On Jan 28, 3:26 pm, Erland Sommarskog <esq...@sommarskog.se> wrote:

>  (ciaran.hud...@gmail.com) writes:
> >> If you get it at Choose Destination, I would guess the error is with
> >> the target server. Or are you importing data?
>
> >  - yes I am importing data. I get the error at the Choose Destination
> > stage, when I click the drop down box to choose a Database.
>
> And you want to import data to a database on the local server?

Yes, I'm trying to import data from an excel file into a database I've
created on the local machine.

> >> Which edition of SQL 2008 did you install? If you installed the Express
> >> edition, Express installs by default as a named instance, SQLEXPRESS.
>
> > I've installed the full version of SQL 2008
>
> And which edition is this?

Microsoft SQL Server 2008

> >> What exactly did you specify for the server that you cannot connect to?
>
> > I'm trying to specify the target database for the data to be imported
> > to.
>
> > Any ideas what I'm doing wrong???
>
> Right now your error is that you don't answer the questions I'm asking
> you. Without access to your machine, I am entirely dependent on your
> answers to be able to help you.
>
> So, at some point when you ran the wizard, you did specify a server,
> didn't you? But what you did you specify?

I specified (local) as the server and checked 'use windows
authentication'

The database is default and I encouter the error when I click the drop
down box in order to specify a DB.

> Are you able to connect to the server through a query window in Mgmt
> Studio? In such case, what do you specify for the server in that case?
> If you attempt to connect with SQLCMD from the command line, are you
> able to connect?

yes, I can connect via Mgmt Studio. I specify the server as (local).
I don't know hot to connect from the command line. Can you give me
some sytanx to test this?

Erland Sommarskog

Jan 28, 2009, 5:46:29 PM1/28/09
(ciaran...@gmail.com) writes:
>> And which edition is this?
>
> Microsoft SQL Server 2008

I asked about which edition: Express, Developer etc.

>> Are you able to connect to the server through a query window in Mgmt
>> Studio? In such case, what do you specify for the server in that case?
>> If you attempt to connect with SQLCMD from the command line, are you
>> able to connect?
>
> yes, I can connect via Mgmt Studio. I specify the server as (local).
> I don't know hot to connect from the command line. Can you give me
> some sytanx to test this?

Try this:

sqlcmd -S (local)

You could also try changing the data source in the Import Wizard to
SQL Native Client. Then you could use the same client API as Mgmt Studio
uses.