Windows 7 and Access 97 Runtime

CPGHH

Jan 15, 2015, 7:57:18 AM1/15/15
Hi there,

BACKGROUND

I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. I also have installed MS Office Home 2010. That is I have MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint and OneNote 2010 installed, however not MS Access in 2010 version or any other version. Nevertheless, Microsoft Access Runtime 2010 and Microsoft.NET Framework 4.5.1 are also in the list of installed programs although I cannot recall how they got there.

LEGACY SOFTWARE THAT USES AN OLDE VERSION AF ACCESS RUNTIME

I have a piece og accounting software, documentation dated March 1 1997. It apparently embed an Access runtime database engine which I assume to be Access 97 runtime. Its database file has extension MDB. It has been installed on an old PC with MS Windows Express professional.

Wanting to install it under my Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit system, I searched the web and found a lot of not to consistent information. The short of it is that Access 97, supposedly, cannot run on Windows 7.

Well, I tried to install it anyway. In the process, I got the notorious message about ctl3d32.dll not being installed correctly, and there is no such file anywhere on my Windows 7 PC.

Nevertheless, my accounting software appears to work fine on my Windows 7 PC. That baffles me quite a bit.

Does anyone have an idea if I can trust it to work properly or expect some kind of brake-down, malfunction or other menace.

PS: I am suspecting that automatic updates of MS Office software might rock the boat, and I have configured Windows Update to only suggest updates, not automatically install them.

Henrik

--
CPGHH
http://compgroups.net/comp.databases.ms-access/

Patrick Finucane

Jan 15, 2015, 9:49:56 AM1/15/15
You state "My accounting software appears to work fine on my Windows 7 PC" and then ask if it can be trusted. I would assume if it is working correctly, you can trust it. How well have you tested it? You might want to see if the original author has an upgraded version. That way you can feel confident. Perhaps research other current and up-to-date accounting packages out in the market.