Out of Memory - Access 97

Stewart C. Boxall

Feb 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/26/98

Is anyone else experiencing problems with MS Access 97 with 'Out of Memory'
errors.

I have built a fairly large application that inconsistantly but quite
regularily causes this error. It usually happens when moving around in
forms. e.g. clicking through the tabs on a tab strip. Then without
warning an 'Out of memory' error pops up and then you have to shut down
Access.

Any thoughts at all and thanks

Stewart

gkelemen

Feb 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/27/98

Same here....except my system is the size of a "rabbit's tail" (about 8
forms: 3 data entries, 5 report-starter [5 reports as well], with 5
tables).
Still it's breaking off with Out of memory here and there, sort of
unexpectedly. I could not find any consistency in it. I have 16 Mb Ram,
which is not much but by theory it's already the floor limit.
No idea why it happens.
Geza Kelemen

-
| If sending message, delete ".blabla" from my Email address. |

Victor Shumuk

Feb 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/27/98

If you're running under win95, check the amount of disk space available on
the drive that hosts virtual memory.

If it's low, you can either remove some files or (if you have another drive
available with lots of space) change the
location of the win95 virtual memory to another drive.

Stewart C. Boxall <stewart...@digitalideas.on.ca> wrote in article
<6d5h54$dab$1...@mur2.odyssey.on.ca>...

Harley Arnett

Feb 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/27/98

Yes, lots of out of memory messages - our desktops are Pentium 233s with 32
meg and 4 gig drives. Some are running Win95 OSR1 and some are running
Win95 OSR2. We have tried changing the swap file settings up to 100 meg,
have patched Win95 OSR1 versions with SP1. OFfice 97 has been patched with
SR1. Any defined objects are closed when the forms close and yet the
problem persists. The forms are rather complex with 50-60 fields and 2-3
subforms each, however, the same application ran fine under Office95 for
over a year.

Harley Arnett

Stewart C. Boxall <stewart...@digitalideas.on.ca> wrote in article
<6d5h54$dab$1...@mur2.odyssey.on.ca>...
> Is anyone else experiencing problems with MS Access 97 with 'Out of
Memory'
> errors.

Aaron Simpson

Feb 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/28/98

I've found that a lot of these "out of memory" errors cannot be trusted. For
example, I have seen Excel complaining of this when an illegal operation is
attempted.

Two things I would recommend. Compact and repair.

Cheers Aaron.

gkelemen

Feb 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/28/98

Yes almost everyone is experiencing 'Out of memory' messages from
Access'97 time to time. I'd be really greatfull too to have any
solution, but as much as I know there is no solution, except one that I
would not say because it is too rude.
G.K.

Stewart C. Boxall

Feb 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/28/98

Thanks for responding and very interesting Harley. We are running on P150's
with between 32 and 64 meg of ram and plenty of disk space and plenty of
swap file space, but the problem persists.

We have forms with a lot of controls 200-300 (which includes everything from
labels, boxes to subforms and tab strips). Microsoft says that the max is a
1000 so that should not be a problem. The error is definately not a memory
error as there is plenty of total memory (real and virtual) left over. We
found that our error messages changed from 'Page Faults' under jet 3.5 to
'out of memory' under jet 3.51.

Are you using tab strips???

Stewart

Stewart C. Boxall

Feb 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/28/98

Working on it. I will post any fix. Are you using the tab control with you
applications?

Stewart C. Boxall

Feb 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/28/98

Interesting that it is happening in a smaller system. My system is fairly
large so I have done anything to shrink it thinking that may help, but to no
avail. I have shrunk the data, the number of objects, the number of
controls, etc. The only thing I have not tried yet is removing the tab
strip .

Are you using a tab strip in you program?

gkelemen wrote in message <34F77C...@uq.net.au>...
>Same here....except my system is the size of a "rabbit's tail" (about 8
>forms: 3 data entries, 5 report-starter [5 reports as well], with 5
>tables).
>Still it's breaking off with Out of memory here and there, sort of
>unexpectedly. I could not find any consistency in it. I have 16 Mb Ram,
>which is not much but by theory it's already the floor limit.
>No idea why it happens.
>Geza Kelemen
>
>-

Harley Arnett

Feb 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/28/98

Yes,

That was the primary change for our application moving from Access 95 to
Access 97 - since all forms were 2-4 pages, we changed them all to use the
built-in access 97 tab control.

Harley Arnett

Stewart C. Boxall <stewart...@digitalideas.on.ca> wrote in article

<6d88h0$8jv$1...@mur2.odyssey.on.ca>...

David W. Fenton

Mar 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/1/98

Harley Arnett (hpar...@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
: Yes, lots of out of memory messages - our desktops are Pentium 233s with 32

: meg and 4 gig drives. Some are running Win95 OSR1 and some are running
: Win95 OSR2. We have tried changing the swap file settings up to 100 meg,
: have patched Win95 OSR1 versions with SP1. OFfice 97 has been patched with
: SR1. Any defined objects are closed when the forms close and yet the
: problem persists. The forms are rather complex with 50-60 fields and 2-3
: subforms each, however, the same application ran fine under Office95 for
: over a year.

1. Minimize the number of open tables.

This means not nesting queries any more than necessary in data sources of
forms/sub-forms/combo boxes/list boxes. In previous apps, I've used
queries instead of tables as direct record sources, and in an app I'm
currently using (which has lots of forms open at tone time), I've had to
re-write each record source to use direct access to tables. That is, I
have normally written a set of basic queries that I use to assemble
certain standard datasets, and then use these to get the specific data set
for each form/report. Now, I'm finding that I'm running out of
table handles, but if I use the tables directly (instead of the
pre-constructed queries) I'm having fewer problems.

2. Turn off the Journal entry monitoring of file operations in Outlook.

Outlook by default monitors all file open/close operations in Office97
apps. This can lead to all kinds of problems if the log file gets
corrupted, and it slows down your system. It also means that it's one more
operation taking up system resources. Disable it.

David W. Fenton dfenton at bway dot net
New York University http://www.bway.net/~dfenton

David W. Fenton

Mar 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/1/98

Stewart C. Boxall (stewart...@digitalideas.on.ca) wrote:
: Interesting that it is happening in a smaller system. My system is fairly

: large so I have done anything to shrink it thinking that may help, but to no
: avail. I have shrunk the data, the number of objects, the number of
: controls, etc. The only thing I have not tried yet is removing the tab
: strip .

I always find it to be good practice to completely recreate your database
once you're well into the development process. That is, create a new blank
database and import all the objects into it. Somewhere along the line bad
things seem to accumulate, and this insures that you start with a clean
slate. I've had it make a difference, especially if the app began life in
a previous version of Access.

Dale E. Moore

Mar 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/1/98

Sorry I missed the first of this thread, and; this might be way off point
but (I'll jump in anyway:) HP 4000 drivers gave me this problem in MS Access
2. Changing to HP 4 drivers fixed the problem.

Rick Eveleigh

Mar 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/2/98

We've had the same since upgrading to Office 97. No tab strips, some
databases recreated totally as suggested (don't think that's fixed it),
loads of disk space, 32Mb RAM, Win95 OSR 2.1 etc etc.

I'll keep monitoring this thread...

Brad Wartman

Mar 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/2/98

Hi Stewart,

I have a fairly large application also (70 forms, 2700 queries, 28K
lines of code)) and have noticed that sometimes the Access .MDB file
becomes corrupted and cannot be fixed using Compact. Usually the
problem is that the .MDB file will cause when opening with a startup
form, but sometimes there are resource usage problems. I've been able
to fix it by creating a new .MDB file and copying the corrupted .MDB's
objects into it. After that everything works OK. Best of luck to you!

"Stewart C. Boxall" <stewart...@digitalideas.on.ca> wrote:

>Is anyone else experiencing problems with MS Access 97 with 'Out of Memory'
>errors.
>
>I have built a fairly large application that inconsistantly but quite
>regularily causes this error. It usually happens when moving around in
>forms. e.g. clicking through the tabs on a tab strip. Then without
>warning an 'Out of memory' error pops up and then you have to shut down
>Access.
>
>Any thoughts at all and thanks
>

>Stewart

Brad L. Wartman
B & W Consulting Services
6049 NE Davis
Portland, OR 97213

Phone: (503) 231-4785
Fax: (503) 231-6003
E-Mail: bwar...@teleport.com
Compuserve: 72600,454

Brad Wartman

Mar 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/2/98

Hi Aaron,

I attended the Access/VB Advisor conference in San Francisco a couple
of weeks ago and learned from the head of the Jet development team
that they recommend *never* using Repair on a database, esp. one
w/fields contaning Large Values (e.g. Memo or OLE objects). Instead,
they recommend downloading the Jet 3.5 update and using Compact only.
The new version of Compact contains all the functions internally to do
the functions originally done by Repair.

"Aaron Simpson" <pet...@ihug.co.nz> wrote:

>I've found that a lot of these "out of memory" errors cannot be trusted. For
>example, I have seen Excel complaining of this when an illegal operation is
>attempted.
>
>Two things I would recommend. Compact and repair.
>
>Cheers Aaron.
>

>gkelemen wrote in message <34F77C...@uq.net.au>...
>>Same here....except my system is the size of a "rabbit's tail" (about 8
>>forms: 3 data entries, 5 report-starter [5 reports as well], with 5
>>tables).
>>Still it's breaking off with Out of memory here and there, sort of
>>unexpectedly. I could not find any consistency in it. I have 16 Mb Ram,
>>which is not much but by theory it's already the floor limit.
>>No idea why it happens.
>>Geza Kelemen
>>
>>-
>>+---------------------------------------------------------------------+
>>| If sending message, delete ".blabla" from my Email address. |
>>+---------------------------------------------------------------------+

Brad L. Wartman

go...@kgb.kremlin.kom

Mar 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/2/98

On Mon, 02 Mar 1998 20:44:10 GMT, bwar...@teleport.com (Brad Wartman)
wrote:

>Hi Aaron,
>
>I attended the Access/VB Advisor conference in San Francisco a couple
>of weeks ago and learned from the head of the Jet development team
>that they recommend *never* using Repair on a database, esp. one
>w/fields contaning Large Values (e.g. Memo or OLE objects). Instead,
>they recommend downloading the Jet 3.5 update and using Compact only.
>The new version of Compact contains all the functions internally to do
>the functions originally done by Repair.

Did they mention, by any chance, why they completely neglected to
provide an API or a CLI? The only way to run the silly thing is to
point-and-click, which means you can't do it at midnight unless you're
"physically" there; and they don't even provide defaults for the
destination. Jerks. I hope to heck you have some withering response
to the effect that they do, and please see KB article such-and-such.

Bill Terrill

Mar 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/3/98

Access 97 Out of Memory,

You can all work to your hearts content but this problem is not going away.
It's not related to a tab control (or any control for that matter). It is
not entry or report specific, it can crop up in both. Importing to a new DB
will not correct it. I've struggled with this for over six months, back and
forth with Microsoft for 2 months, no real solution.

What we have here is a real nasty bug that seems to be related to the new
Access buffering scheme put in place in 97. Unless we all scream at
Microsoft, we won't see a cure!

This is not unlike many of the documented bugs in Access 95 that never were
corrected. Unfortunately, it doesn't crop up in 90% of the small DBs created
by most end users.

Bill

Stewart C. Boxall

Mar 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/4/98

Thanks for your frankness . . . Bill,

Not terribly encouraging but welcome none the less. Different levels of MS
support have denied the problem. I have re-written my application to
minimize the error only. I suspect I should have moved it to VB.

In your experience, using Jet as the back end, does VB have this problem???
Any ideas as to how we 'scream' at MS.

Thanks
Stewart