Could not write to a temporary file

Joshua

May 25, 2009, 3:24:38 AM5/25/09
[Informix][Dynamic Server 2000][trgokom] SQL Error(-264): Could not
write to a temporary file. [ISAM error -131 : ISAM error: no free disk
space]

This error appears when I select from view which has 25 000 000 rows.
What can I do to resolve this problem?

IDS 10.00TC5E on Microsoft Windows Server 2003 EE !

theBP

May 25, 2009, 4:23:19 AM5/25/09

Provide set explain on output?

What is the view?

Joshua

May 25, 2009, 9:23:18 AM5/25/09

I create the view with SQL statement CREATE VIEW because I want the date
from two tables. I try now with set explain.

Art Kagel

May 25, 2009, 10:07:18 AM5/25/09
to Joshua, inform...@iiug.org
If you select from a VIEW using a filter and the view was built with an ANSI '92 style SELECT statement, the IDS 10.00 engine will instantiate the VIEW to a temp table containing all 25,000,000 rows and apply the select to that temp table.  That is why you have run out of temp space.  Change the view to use the older Informix style SELECT or upgrade to IDS 11.50xC3 or later which fixed this problem.

Art

Art S. Kagel
Oninit (www.oninit.com)
IIUG Board of Directors (a...@iiug.org)

Disclaimer: Please keep in mind that my own opinions are my own opinions and do not reflect on my employer, Oninit, the IIUG, nor any other organization with which I am associated either explicitly or implicitly.  Neither do those opinions reflect those of other individuals affiliated with any entity with which I am affiliated nor those of the entities themselves.