Help - 567: Cannot write sorted rows. 28: No space left on

KENDRICKS CHERYL

Aug 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/29/97

/tmp is the default used if DBTEMP/DBSPACETEMP is not set!
This applies for Informix 5.x and 7.x.
The rules:
Informix 5 Online, SE and Informix 7 SE:
Set DBTEMP if you are not setting it. I would shy away from using /tmp,
too many others use it, get your own temp space for Informix put it into
the informix.rc in the informix/etc directory.

Informix 7 Online:
Set DBSPACETEMP value. DBSPACETEMP allows for usage of temp space directly
with the Online DBSPACE.

When is what space is used?
1. FOR TABLES:
Informix 5 and 7:
If DBTEMP/DBSPACETEMP is not set the default is the "root
dbspace", unless you create temp table with the "CREATE TEMP TABLE"
statement, in which case the default is the dbspace that contains the DB
for the temp table. Otherwise you are down to the /tmp.

For sorting then the PSORT_DBTEMP variables comes first then environment
variable DBTEMP/DBSPACETEMP, then DBSPACETEMP setting in "onconfig" if you
are version 7.x, otherwise /tmp.
Hopes this help!!!

sally.w...@exxcelsis.co.uk on 08/28/97 03:28:28 AM

Please respond to sally.w...@exxcelsis.co.uk

To: inform...@rmy.emory.edu
cc: (bcc: KENDRICKS CHERYL/HEB45)
Subject: Re: Help - 567: Cannot write sorted rows. 28: No space left on
device.

In article <5u29v2$o...@cssun.mathcs.emory.edu>, Herb Blacker
<he...@jcdcrs4.jobcorps.org> writes
>You've run out of disk space in your /tmp directory. The order by
>uses temp space for its sort stuff. Empty it and rerun the query, and
>you'll be OK.

Does ONLINE use /tmp? If so does it use $DBTEMP? If so, point DBTEMP
somewhere else - emptying /tmp when the machine is running can upset
folks if you delete their active temp files...

>On Tue, 26 Aug 1997, Bill Bertovich wrote:
>
>} Hi all,
>}
>} While running this query that should return 259 rows, I get an error.
>}
>} SELECT * FROM MyTable WHERE MyColumn = 'xxx' ORDER BY MyOtherColumn;

Or better, if this is a frequent query create an index on MyColumn,
MyOtherColmn and ORDER BY MyColumn, MyOtherColumn.

This is remove the need for temporary files.

--
Sally Woolrich
My Email address has been altered to limit junk mail.