DRDA and Informix 11.50

Habichtsberg, Reinhard

Jul 23, 2009, 3:32:05 AM7/23/09
to Informix-List (E-Mail)
Hi all,

our php developers claim they need DRDA support to connect to IDS 11.50.
Development platform is the Zend framework. The databases classes would use
pdo_ibm instead of pdo_informix.

- Is this information correct? Do we need pdo_ibm and DRDA support if we
develop with the Zend framework?
- if so, is it enough to install DB2 Client v9.1 or later on the client and
modify onconfig, sqlhosts and /etc/services with a drda alias and for
example drtlitcp on Solaris 10 hostsystem?
- is Informix CSDK needed on the development system and Informix CSDK or
I-Connect on the runtime system?

I'm absolut newbie with DRDA so any help is appreciated.

TIA,
Reinhard.

theBP

Jul 23, 2009, 5:10:36 AM7/23/09

Habichtsberg, Reinhard

Jul 24, 2009, 4:13:43 AM7/24/09
to inform...@iiug.org
> Habichtsberg, Reinhard wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > our php developers claim they need DRDA support to connect
> to IDS 11.50.
> > Development platform is the Zend framework. The databases
> classes would use
> > pdo_ibm instead of pdo_informix.
> >
> > - Is this information correct? Do we need pdo_ibm and DRDA
> support if we
> > develop with the Zend framework?
> > - if so, is it enough to install DB2 Client v9.1 or later
> on the client and
> > modify onconfig, sqlhosts and /etc/services with a drda
> alias and for
> > example drtlitcp on Solaris 10 hostsystem?
> > - is Informix CSDK needed on the development system and
> Informix CSDK or
> > I-Connect on the runtime system?
> >
> > I'm absolut newbie with DRDA so any help is appreciated.
> >
> > TIA,
> > Reinhard.

theBP wrote
> http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/idshelp/v115/topic/co
> m.ibm.admin.doc/ids_admin_0205.htm

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/idshelp/v115/topic/com.ibm.admin.do
c/ids_admin_0207.htm?resultof=%22%64%72%73%6f%63%74%63%70%22%20

Thanx, I checked those manuals but they don't answer my questions regarding
Zend Framework. Anybody out there who would share his experience

TIA,
Reinhard.

Ian Michael Gumby

Jul 24, 2009, 7:48:32 AM7/24/09
to rhabic...@arz-emmendingen.de, inform...@iiug.org
This is the bad thing.

First, there are IBM supported ways of getting connected to the database and then there are non IBM supported ways of getting to the database.  IBM 'supports' native Informix connectivity and DRDA connectivity.

Because IBM supports both Informix and DB2, the idiots who shall remain nameless, made a conscious decision to write to the DRDA API since both DB2 and Informix support it.
Yet no one has provided a benchmark showing that DRDA access is as fast as a native Informix API. Ooops! I said benchmark. Shame on me.

This is also true of their ruby adaptor. There was a community supported version, but when IBM announced support for Ruby (RoR), they decided to support the DRDA only.

The point is that in 11.5X engines supposedly Informix *has* DRDA built in, unlike prior versions like 7.X that required a DRDA gateway product.

So while your developers are right that the IBM php connectivity product requires DRDA, Informix 11.5 *should* be able to handle it. I'm not sure if pdo_informix is no longer being supported by IBM in favor of only supporting DRDA, but pdo_informix that works with 10.x should also work with 11.x. But moving forward, if you want to use the IBM *supported* way of accessing 11.x, then you should consider the DRDA option.

I think that was what theBP was getting at. Look for DRDA support in your IDS 11.5 admin manuals.

Since php is *supported*, you could log a ticket with IBM under your support contract.
What answer you get... YMMV....

For further information, you should probably ask John Miller III of IBM, since he's the joker who wrote a certain web based admin tools as a hack. (PHP? Should have used Java if he were a software engineer. ;-) [Hint: Can you say reuse-ability? And Informix supports JDBC out of the box. ;-) ]

But hey! What do I know?
I was expecting one of those PHP boffins to pipe up and give you an answer...

-G

Windows Live™ Hotmail®: Search, add, and share the web’s latest sports videos. Check it out.

abha...@in.ibm.com

Jul 28, 2009, 3:04:46 AM7/28/09

Here are my answer:

- Is this information correct? Do we need pdo_ibm and DRDA support if
we
develop with the Zend framework?

Yes.

- if so, is it enough to install DB2 Client v9.1 or later on the
client and
modify onconfig, sqlhosts and /etc/services with a drda alias and for
example drtlitcp on Solaris 10 hostsystem?

I think following links will be helpful to you:
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=195416
http://us2.php.net/manual/en/ref.pdo-ibm.php

- is Informix CSDK needed on the development system and Informix CSDK
or
I-Connect on the runtime system?

No. Only IDS server and DB2 client is enough. CSDK is not required.

Regards,
Ambrish Bhargava