Problems using Informix .NET provider

Peter Laman

Dec 10, 2008, 9:17:06 AM12/10/08
I installed IDS 11.50 using all defaults for the installer. Then I
tried to connect to the service that has been created by default
through the .NET provider.

I used the following connection string:
host=localhost;server=ol_ids_1150_1;service=turbo;database=sysmaster;uid=informix;pwd=ifxifxifx0mypassword

I get the following exception:

ERROR [HY000] [Informix .NET provider]Unspecified System Error =
-11048.

The docs say it's got something to do with a translation DLL. I can
only find some info on the concept of a translation dll for the ODBC
driver...?

Any help?

The Durster

Dec 10, 2008, 12:24:42 PM12/10/08
On Dec 10, 9:17 am, Peter Laman <peter.la...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I installed IDS 11.50 using all defaults for the installer. Then I
> tried to connect to the service that has been created by default
> through the .NET provider.
>
> I used the following connection string:
> host=localhost;server=ol_ids_1150_1;service=turbo;database=sysmaster;uid=in­formix;pwd=ifxifxifx0mypassword

> I get the following exception:
>
> ERROR [HY000] [Informix .NET provider]Unspecified System Error =
> -11048.
>
> The docs say it's got something to do with a translation  DLL. I can
> only find some info on the concept of a translation dll for the ODBC
> driver...?

A couple things to check:
- "uid" should be "User ID"
- "pwd" should be "Password"
- use the port numer for the value of service, unless you are sure
your windows machine has the port name/number mapping
- Did you configure the driver using SetNet32? The ADO.Net driver does
not stand alone. It rides on top of the Informix CLI library. Use
SetNet32 to set these same values in the Windows Registry.

Sheshnarayan Agrawal

Dec 11, 2008, 1:02:31 AM12/11/08
to Peter Laman, informix-l...@iiug.org, inform...@iiug.org

What's the version of .NET/CSDK? What is the OS version (i.e XP, Vista etc)? Again there are two versions of Informix .NET Provider shipped, 1.1 and 2.0 frameworks. Which one are you using? Are you able to connect using "dbaccess" (comes with IDS installation)?

By any chance do you have more than one Informix CSDK installed in your system? Is your IDS and CSDK on the same machine? If so, what location (i.e. IDS or CSDK) INFORMIXDIR environment variable is pointing to? It should be CSDK location.

You can also try supplying entire qualified host name.

-Shesh

Peter Laman <peter...@gmail.com>
Sent by: informix-l...@iiug.org

10/12/2008 19:47

inform...@iiug.org
cc
Subject
Problems using Informix .NET provider

Peter Laman

Dec 11, 2008, 3:44:08 AM12/11/08
> - "uid" should be "User ID"
> - "pwd" should be "Password"
According to http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/idshelp/v115/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.netpr.doc/netpr031008447.htm,
UID and PWD are fine.

> - use the port numer for the value of service, unless you are sure
> your windows machine has the port name/number mapping
Check.

> - Did you configure the driver using SetNet32? The ADO.Net driver does
> not stand alone. It rides on top of the Informix CLI library. Use
> SetNet32 to set these same values in the Windows Registry.

Yep.

Peter Laman

Dec 11, 2008, 3:55:07 AM12/11/08
See inline comments:

> What's the version of .NET/CSDK? What is the OS version (i.e XP, Vista
> etc)? Again there are two versions of Informix .NET Provider shipped, 1.1
> and 2.0 frameworks. Which one are you using? Are you able to connect using
> "dbaccess" (comes with IDS installation)?

Installed .Net framework versions are: v2.0 SP1, v1.1

> By any chance do you have more than one Informix CSDK installed in your
> system?

No

> Is your IDS and CSDK on the same machine?

Yes

> If so, what location (i.e. IDS or CSDK) INFORMIXDIR environment variable is pointing to? It
> should be CSDK location.

It is.

All of the settings are set up by the installers by default.

mmura...@gmail.com

Dec 11, 2008, 7:28:53 AM12/11/08

Also check your PATH environment variable. The error is caused when
the connection is using the wrong dll files or if there is a really
long path environment setting.
If you move the INFORMIXDIR/bin to the front of the path then restart
the application you are testing with (if it is still open) this should
correct the problem.

HTH