Unknown error 32766 occurs?

Mike Pechner

Aug 10, 1992, 4:31:04 PM8/10/92

I have tbeen getting the error "32766" unknown error
Displaying under 2 conditions:
1. I do a tbinit and a tbmode from my rc.local
I get the error once for each command.

2 I do the following:
rsh dbmaster "echo create db xxx wth log" | isql
( skip the syntax, you get the jist)
When I am rlog'd into the dbmaster machine this cmmand
works fine.

Architecture: Sparc 2 sun 4.1.1 Informix 4.00 (not 4.1)
Very open system: no hosts.equiv and no .rhosts used.

I do 1 as root (obviously)
I do 2 as myself (user: xxx ).

Any clues?

--
ad...@netcom.com (Michael Pechner) | Pizza Probably The Worlds Most
| Perfect Food.
| Carbo, Meat, Dairy, And Veggie

Tony Heskett

Aug 11, 1992, 11:08:04 AM8/11/92

Mike Pechner writes:

> I have tbeen getting the error "32766" unknown error

It normally means that Informix hasn't any idea where it should
be looking - e.g. INFORMIXDIR isn't set. Same kind of problem
as crontab entries.

> Displaying under 2 conditions:
> 1. I do a tbinit and a tbmode from my rc.local
> I get the error once for each command.

Stick a shell-script wrapper round them, maybe ? Or set the
values in rc.local before you call the commands.

> 2 I do the following:
> rsh dbmaster "echo create db xxx wth log" | isql
> ( skip the syntax, you get the jist)
> When I am rlog'd into the dbmaster machine this cmmand
> works fine.

rsh doesn't set up all the environment: bay is our local server, for ex.

MacStuff 28 > rsh bay env | wc -l
5
MacStuff 29 > env | wc -l
37

> Very open system: no hosts.equiv and no .rhosts used.

Shouldn't that say something about "No ibm's" ? :-)

> ad...@netcom.com (Michael Pechner) | Pizza Probably The Worlds Most
> | Perfect Food.
> | Carbo, Meat, Dairy, And Veggie

Hope that helps.

Cheers - Tony.
Tony Heskett t...@bnr.co.uk Phone: (+44) 279 402637
BNR, London Road, Harlow, Essex CM17 9NA Fax: (+44) 279 451434

David Kosenko

Aug 11, 1992, 10:21:29 AM8/11/92
In article <x42mbl...@netcom.com> mi...@netcom.com (Mike Pechner) writes:

>I have tbeen getting the error "32766" unknown error
>Displaying under 2 conditions:

This error is almost always the result of not setting your
INFORMIXDIR environment variable.

Dave
--
Disclaimer: These opinions are not those of Informix Software, Inc.
The heart and the mind on a parallel course, never the two shall meet.

Chris Davies

Aug 12, 1992, 12:20:02 PM8/12/92

Mike Pechner wrote:
> I have tbeen getting the error "32766" unknown error

A.He...@bnr.co.uk (Tony Heskett) replied:
: [...]
: rsh doesn't set up all the environment: bay is our local server, for ex.

:
: MacStuff 28 > rsh bay env | wc -l
: 5
: MacStuff 29 > env | wc -l
: 37

You could "solve" this if you use a C shell on the remote host (bay),
because rsh will then execute the .cshrc as it logs in. Thus you place
the setenv INFORMIXDIR /usr/informix (or similar) in your .cshrc (as
well as the more correct .login). Remember not to put anything that
reads, writes, or modifies a tty in the .cshrc without checking it
really a tty first, though!

Because this is somewhat Unix-centric rather than database oriented
email me (rather than post?) if you want a clarification of this.

Chris
--
VISIONWARE LTD, 57 Cardigan Lane, LEEDS LS4 2LE, England
Tel +44 532 788858 x238. Fax +44 532 304676. Email ch...@visionware.co.uk

Jonathan Leffler

Aug 12, 1992, 9:33:11 PM8/12/92

INFORMIXDIR is not set and INFORMIXDIR is not /usr/informix?
If your system supports symbolic links, set /usr/informix as a symbolic
link to the real installation. Otherwise, ensure that INFORMIXDIR
gets set before running the command. Have fun.

Yours,
Jonathan Leffler (jo...@obelix.informix.com) #include <disclaimer.h>