Ask about page size in Informix 7.31

Diego Morales

Oct 19, 2012, 5:35:24 AM10/19/12
to inform...@iiug.org

Hi to all.

I have a very easy question but I’m not able to find the answer. I want to set Informix 7.31 on a HP UX 11.11 using cooked files. I have to create the files using dd command and I want to create them with a fixed size, 512MB, 1GB or 2GB depending the belonging dbspace. To the dd command I need to know the page size of Informix to create the files on the best way. Is 2K or 4K the page file of this version of Informix?

Thanks in advance for your help.

DJMoralesM

Q Antes de imprimir este mensaje, asegúrate de que es necesario. Proteger el medio ambiente está también en tu mano.

Este mensaje puede contener información confidencial, sometida a secreto profesional o cuya divulgación está prohibida por la ley. Si usted no es el destinatario del mensaje, por favor bórrelo y notifíquenoslo inmediatamente, no lo reenvíe ni copie su contenido. Si su empresa no permite la recepción de mensajes de este tipo, por favor, háganoslo saber inmediatamente. El correo electrónico vía Internet no permite asegurar la confidencialidad de los mensajes que se transmiten ni su integridad o correcta recepción. El emisor no asume responsabilidad por estas circunstancias. Si el destinatario de este mensaje no consintiera la utilización del correo electrónico vía Internet y la grabación de los mensajes, rogamos lo ponga en nuestro conocimiento de forma inmediata.

This e-mail may contain confidential information submitted to professional secret, which publication is forbidden by law. If you are not the intended addressee, please erase it and notify it to us immediately, not resend it, not even copy its content. If your company does not allow the receipt of this type of messages, let us know immediately.The e-mail via Internet does not allow to assure the confidentiality of the messages transmitted, its integrity or correct reception. The issuer does not assume any responsibility under these circumstances. If the addressee of this message does not consent the utilization of the e-mail via internet and the recording of messages we request to inform us the soonest.

Nick Lello

Oct 19, 2012, 6:09:11 AM10/19/12
to Diego Morales, inform...@iiug.org
4k on HP, 2k on most others...

Nick Lello | Web Architect
o +44 (0) 843.330.9374503.284.7581 ext. 418 | m +44 (0) 750.890.3456 | Skype: nicholas.lello
Email: nick.lello at rentrak.com
RENTRAK | www.rentrak.com | NASDAQ: RENT

Jonathan Leffler

Oct 19, 2012, 6:33:50 AM10/19/12
to Diego Morales, Informix List - IIUG
On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 2:35 AM, Diego Morales <dmor...@districenter.es> wrote:
I have a very easy question but I’m not able to find the answer. I want to set Informix 7.31 on a HP UX 11.11 using cooked files. I have to create the files using dd command and I want to create them with a fixed size, 512MB, 1GB or 2GB depending the belonging dbspace. To the dd command I need to know the page size of Informix to create the files on the best way. Is 2K or 4K the page file of this version of Informix?

On HP-UX, the page size is 2 KiB.  I'm 99.9% sure of that...

However, it actually won't matter as long as you get the correct aggregate size on the dbspaces.  You specify the size to IDS in KiB.  It divides that by the page size to get the right answer in pages.

--
Jonathan Leffler <jonathan...@gmail.com>  #include <disclaimer.h>
Guardian of DBD::Informix - v2011.0612 - http://dbi.perl.org

Art Kagel

Oct 19, 2012, 6:35:08 AM10/19/12
to Diego Morales, inform...@iiug.org
The pagesize of Informix 7.xx on HPUX was 2K.  However, you do not need to use dd to create the chunk files, just use 'touch' to create an empty file and set the owner, group, and privileges to informix:informix and 660 and Informix will take care of the rest when you either initialize a new instance with "oninit -i" or use onspaces or onmonitor to add the chunks to an existing instance.  As you add chunks one at a time, Informix will create them with space allocated contiguously.
Art S. Kagel
Advanced DataTools (www.advancedatatools.com)
Blog: http://informix-myview.blogspot.com/

Disclaimer: Please keep in mind that my own opinions are my own opinions and do not reflect on my employer, Advanced DataTools, the IIUG, nor any other organization with which I am associated either explicitly, implicitly, or by inference.  Neither do those opinions reflect those of other individuals affiliated with any entity with which I am affiliated nor those of the entities themselves.

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 5:35 AM, Diego Morales <dmor...@districenter.es> wrote:

[...]

Art Kagel

Oct 19, 2012, 6:36:13 AM10/19/12
to Nick Lello, inform...@iiug.org
No.  4K on AIX and Windows, 2K on every other platform.

Art

Art S. Kagel
Advanced DataTools (www.advancedatatools.com)
Blog: http://informix-myview.blogspot.com/

Disclaimer: Please keep in mind that my own opinions are my own opinions and do not reflect on my employer, Advanced DataTools, the IIUG, nor any other organization with which I am associated either explicitly, implicitly, or by inference.  Neither do those opinions reflect those of other individuals affiliated with any entity with which I am affiliated nor those of the entities themselves.

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 6:09 AM, Nick Lello <nick....@rentrakmail.com> wrote:
4k on HP, 2k on most others...

Email: nick.lello at rentrak.com
RENTRAK | www.rentrak.com | NASDAQ: RENT

Diego Morales

Oct 19, 2012, 7:18:42 AM10/19/12
to Art Kagel, inform...@iiug.org

Thanks a lot Art for your answer… and everybody who answered, of course. I thought that I have to create the file using “dd” with 2GB (or less) and then create the chunks to the created file… I suppose the “onspaces” will do the “dd” (or its own dd) with the same target, to sure that the allocated space is contiguously.

Thanks a lot.

DJMoralesM

Art Kagel

Art Kagel