4GL and LVARCHAR

Bernhard Gramberg

Mar 10, 2011, 5:46:58 AM3/10/11
HI,

with the older version of 4GL-RDS (7.32 xxx)
LVARCAHR was not suported.

Does anyboy knows, if the newer versions (7.50.xCx)
does now supports LVARCHAR ?

Yours Bernhard

Ramesh G Srinivasan

Mar 10, 2011, 6:24:42 AM3/10/11
to Bernhard Gramberg, informix-l...@iiug.org, inform...@iiug.org
Hello,

The new versions of 4GL does not support LVARCHAR.

Ramesh.

Bernhard Gramberg <ma...@gramberg.de>
Sent by: informix-l...@iiug.org

10/03/2011 16:16

inform...@iiug.org
cc
Subject
4GL and LVARCHAR

Nick

Mar 11, 2011, 9:01:36 AM3/11/11
Yes - We had the same issue a while ago. I put in a feature request
to have it included in future versions, and pushed and followed up as
best I could. But nothing so far, it's just not a priority at all
with IBM / Informix.

Quite frankly, this has driven us to pick a new tool - we're going
with ruby and so far so good. And this has us thinking more open
source on the database end too... Give a mouse a cookie...

I don't know why this was such a stand to not support LVARCHAR. With
the sizes of data today, LVARCHAR is almost the field of choice over
CHAR today. Why not support one of the most common data types in your
tool. We really love 4GL, it's quick and dirty and extremely easy to
implement, and can do really good stuff in batch mode. But we need to
move forward and not be stuck in the mud.

Nick

Art Kagel

Mar 11, 2011, 9:10:48 AM3/11/11
to Nick, inform...@iiug.org
Take a serious look at the 3rd party 4GL's Querix's Lycia, 4Js Genero, and the open source Aubit 4GL all support LVARCHARs.  Querix is 100% Informix 4GL compatible, Aubit about 95% compatible and Genero is about 85% compatible with existing 4GL code.  All provide significant extensions to 4GL and all will convert your existing apps to modern graphical applications even web based apps.  To various extents all will allow you to connect your existing applications to other databases than Informix if you decide to port away from Informix (don't know why anyone would do that, but there it is) with Querix and Aubit providing the easiest portability - to the point of mapping Informix specific SQL to other dialects automatically.

I personally favor Querix for its compatibility and portability to other databases.

Art

Art S. Kagel
Advanced DataTools (www.advancedatatools.com)
IIUG Board of Directors (a...@iiug.org)
Blog: http://informix-myview.blogspot.com/

Disclaimer: Please keep in mind that my own opinions are my own opinions and do not reflect on my employer, Advanced DataTools, the IIUG, nor any other organization with which I am associated either explicitly, implicitly, or by inference.  Neither do those opinions reflect those of other individuals affiliated with any entity with which I am affiliated nor those of the entities themselves.

Nick