Does DB2 V8 DAS Scheduler really need XWindows libraries?

Fred

Aug 18, 2003, 12:56:49 PM8/18/03
Hello,

I know from the documentation that at least part of the new DAS
scheduler is written in Java, and I'm worried that the Java classes it
uses require XWindows libraries that I've never installed on my
production database server.

The first clue was that I could only build a tools catalog on my Linux
DB2 server, which had XFree86 installed. The other server, a Solaris
box with no graphics card or XWindows, could not build the catalog.
When I opened a PMR, the technician eventually pointed me to the
com.ibm.db2.das.metadata.MDInit class in order to help me identify the
problem. On Solaris, attempts to run the class immediately produced
the following error:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: exception
occurred in JNI_OnLoad
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(ClassLoader.java:1414)
at sun.security.action.LoadLibraryAction.run(LoadLibraryAction.java:48)
at java.awt.Toolkit.loadLibraries(Toolkit.java:1065)
at java.awt.Toolkit.<clinit>(Toolkit.java:1086)
at java.awt.AWTEvent.<clinit>(AWTEvent.java:175)
at com.ibm.db2.tools.common.support.AssistManager.class$(Unknown
Source)
at com.ibm.db2.tools.common.support.AssistManager.loadVKeys(Unknown
Source)
at com.ibm.db2.tools.common.support.AssistManager.<clinit>(Unknown
Source)
at com.ibm.db2.common.icm.api.ICMResources.init(Unknown
Source)
at com.ibm.db2.common.icm.api.ICMResources.get(Unknown Source)
at com.ibm.db2.common.icm.api.init.ICMDatastoreInit.initialize(Unknown
Source)
at com.ibm.db2.das.metadata.MDInit.initialize(Unknown Source)
at com.ibm.db2.das.metadata.MDInit.main(Unknown Source)
DB2JAVIT : RC = 1

When I used the truss utility to identify any failed system calls, I
noticed it kept looking for various XWindows libraries I didn't have,
starting with libXt.so.4. As expected, adding each library by hand
only exposed another missing library each time I restarted the
program.

I understand that, possibly because of dependencies on Java's AWT, the
MDInit class requires XWindows libraries. Does the DAS scheduler also
require XWindows libs? If so, why? After all, the scheduler isn't
inherently graphical (Task Center handles that), and the practice of
omitting XWindows or any other graphics capabilities on a database
server is extremely common.

Thanks for reading this,

Fred