Revision tables

John H

Sep 18, 2007, 8:59:37 AM9/18/07
Can revision tables be part of the sheet format? - the option to add one is
greyed out when you are in "edut sheet format" mode.

I currently create drawings using a single blank drawing template, together
with several different sizes of sheet format. I'd like the revision table
to already be in one or the other (rather than having to add it every time),
but if it is in the template then it will need to be repositioned to suit
the particular format.

How does everyone else work this?

John H

That70sTick

Sep 18, 2007, 9:06:52 AM9/18/07
What about the revision table anchor? Do you have one set in your
template?

Krister_L

Sep 18, 2007, 9:44:56 AM9/18/07

You need to have it in the drawing template in order to edit it, ie.
add revisions. As Tick said, use the ancor to position it. The ancor
is set in the sheet format
// Krister

John H

Sep 18, 2007, 10:02:08 AM9/18/07

"That70sTick" <ro...@liquidschwarz.com> wrote in message

> What about the revision table anchor? Do you have one set in your
> template?

Thanks - that gets me part of the way there.

I'm still not sure how to set it up so that I don't have to either:-
a)Manually add the table in - do I add it to the template?
b)Manually specify that it should be locked to the anchor point.

It seems that if I add a rev table to an empty template, then create a
drawing using this template with the appropriate sheet format, I still have
to manually set the option to lock the table to the anchor (the option is
greyed out when editing the template).
Is there a way round this step?

Regards,
John H

thestew

Sep 18, 2007, 10:31:28 AM9/18/07
On Sep 18, 9:02 am, "John H" <john.harland.del...@texkimp.co.uk>
wrote:
> "That70sTick" <r...@liquidschwarz.com> wrote in message

Start a new drawing add the titile block of your choice.
1)Edit sheet format and right click a point on the drawing and set it
as an anchor for the revision table. You anchor will usually be a
point where 2 lines meet or intersect.
menu and selct revision table check the table anchor and make sure the
anchor is where you want it to be and make sure the box is checked for
attach to anchor then click the check mark and the table will be
inserted at the anchor point you selected in step 1.
3)Save as drawing template and your done.

Hope this helps^^^
Stew

John H

Sep 18, 2007, 12:01:17 PM9/18/07
So is the only way to achieve it without any subsequent user
intervention(i.e. getting the rev table to already be in a new drawing in
the right place) is to have a separate template for each sheet size, with
the sheet format already in it so that the table can snap to the anchor
point?

John H

kenneth

Sep 18, 2007, 12:09:40 PM9/18/07
one step further, you can have the table already inserted into template.

John H

Sep 18, 2007, 12:19:21 PM9/18/07

"kenneth" <k...@none.com> wrote in message

> one step further, you can have the table already inserted into template.

Thanks - I was doing that, though. :-)
The weakness so far with this method is that I have to have a separate
template for each size, each already containing the sheet format and
revision table, plus I still need separate sheet formats for each paper size
so that I can switch sheet size if I need to do so part way through working
on a drawing.

If I try to do it with just a single template containing a default sheet
format (i.e. default paper size) and a revision table, it doesn't then
prompt me on drawing creation to ask for what sheet size I want. I then
have to RMB the sheet properties to change it.

Or am I missing something?

John H

That70sTick

Sep 18, 2007, 12:35:33 PM9/18/07
How big of a problem is separate template files for each size,
really? For users (whose competence levels can vary drastically),
it's actually more convenient, with no configuring required.

Krister_L

Sep 18, 2007, 1:10:33 PM9/18/07

Well.... that's how it works. We have one sheet format and one
template for each size plus a few others for layout drawings with less
informative drawing head. In the template You save Your predefined
tables, dimension standard, fonts and so on. When it comes to change
size during design or detaling it's not that much of a problem eather,
just rmb (right click) the sheet in the tree and take properties. Now
You can choose wich size You want. Just remember to save each sheet
format in the template. Also remember to add both template and format
in file location in the option settings.

// Krister

fcsuper

Sep 18, 2007, 1:38:05 PM9/18/07

Create a sheet format for each drawing size. Create a new drawing
using tha sheet format. Insert the rev table anchored to the corner
desired. Save as drawing template. Repeat for all sheet sizes and
template styles. Done. Having a blank template and then adding the
sheet format after the fact is doing it the hard way and it is
unnecessarily time consuming.

BTW, inserting a rev block is easy, even after the fact because
SolidWorks already knows where to put it as long as you have a
"normal" drawing border.

As far as swapping sheet sizes constantly? As one get more
experienced, this will eventually become unnecessary except when there
is drastic expansion of information on a drawing when adding extra
sheets is not appropriate (a rare occurance).

It just sounds like things are being done in a way that is much harder
than need be.

Matt Lorono
http://sw.fcsuper.com

thestew

Sep 18, 2007, 4:08:32 PM9/18/07
On Sep 18, 11:19 am, "John H" <john.harland.del...@texkimp.co.uk>
wrote:

Oh, I see now? I have always used seperate templates for each sheet
size. I think that's the way to go. Haven't tried what you are trying
to do.

weevoe

Sep 19, 2007, 9:51:38 PM9/19/07
I have an issue along these line & I'm not sure if I should start a new
thread or not.We are migrating from autocad to SW 2007 sp 0. Our title block
doesn't scale with the sheet. The text will scale with the sheet scale , but
the border & lines do not. I have to move it in the X / Y axis by a value
according to the scale & then scale it by the scale value. Only border &
lines, the text needs to be unchecked not to scale or reposition. Any help
would be appreciated.

weevoe

"thestew" <stewh...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Dale Dunn

Sep 20, 2007, 7:07:50 AM9/20/07
"weevoe" <wee...@xspamverizon.com> wrote in

> I have an issue along these line & I'm not sure if I should start a
> new thread or not.We are migrating from autocad to SW 2007 sp 0. Our
> title block doesn't scale with the sheet. The text will scale with the
> sheet scale , but the border & lines do not. I have to move it in the
> X / Y axis by a value according to the scale & then scale it by the
> scale value. Only border & lines, the text needs to be unchecked not
> to scale or reposition. Any help would be appreciated.
>
> weevoe

Are you scaling your title block, annotations, etc. so that your drawing
views are 1:1? If so, that is exactly the wrong way to use SW. It's one of
those AutoCAD ways of doing things that needs to be unlearned. Set the
appropriate scale for the drawings views, and keep the border at true paper
size. To get 1:1 drawing geomety in an exported .dwg, save as .dwg, click
on options, and find the options for "scale output 1:1".

If that's not the issue, then please clarify.

John H

Sep 20, 2007, 10:20:58 AM9/20/07

> How big of a problem is separate template files for each size,
> really? For users (whose competence levels can vary drastically),
> it's actually more convenient, with no configuring required.

It's not that big a deal.
But if you want to subsequently change sheet size, you also need a full set
of sheet formats, which means twice as many files to modify when you need to
make changes.

John H

John H

Sep 20, 2007, 10:30:47 AM9/20/07

"fcsuper" <fcs...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> As far as swapping sheet sizes constantly? As one get more
> experienced, this will eventually become unnecessary except when there
> is drastic expansion of information on a drawing when adding extra
> sheets is not appropriate (a rare occurance).

It might be a rare occurrance [sic] for you, but I regularly start off a new
project using an existing one as a base design, if the shape and type of
features are similar. I frequently then need to make major size changes,
which means the views no longer fit on the drawing, and halving the view
scale (e.g. from 1:4 to 1:2) makes the text disproportionately large, and
the dimensions jump out of position.

Maybe one day I'll be as experienced as you and will have designed every
conceivable variant.

John H

weevoe

Sep 20, 2007, 9:29:30 PM9/20/07
No, SW usually scales the sheet automatically to what it thinks it should
be. Quite often it will come in as 1:12 & I will reduce it to 1:8 by RMB and
going to the properties to change it or whatever makes nice use of the
space. My problem is the lines in the title block come in as 1:1 however the
text in the title block comes in to fit the sheet scale...whatever it is. I
made a template with a title block & border in it from an imported .dwg.
Could that be the problem? I did have the border inset from the full size so
I did as you suggested, moved & resized to full sheet size but the lines
still remain in the corner.

weevoe

"Dale Dunn" <dale...@atjamestool.com> wrote in message

Message has been deleted

weevoe

Sep 22, 2007, 1:03:46 AM9/22/07
I'm not sure of the difference between format and sheet but i think you may
be on to something. I remember trying to insert the title block while
editing the sheet format and nothing showed so I went to edit sheet &
inserted the title block. I'm thinking I may want to create a .slddrt file
along with the.drwdot file to accomplish what I want to do.

thanks,