Analog Lib tline

Umber Abbas Bajwa

Nov 16, 2017, 3:04:52 AM11/16/17
Why the tline of analoglib is not compatible with the PSS or any other analysis?

I am designing a high frequency oscillator with the help of tline but the Spectre is not accepting the tline as the suitable resonator.

Yagya Dutt Mishra

Nov 17, 2017, 10:59:18 AM11/17/17
On Thursday, November 16, 2017 at 1:34:52 PM UTC+5:30, Umber Abbas Bajwa wrote:
> Why the tline of analoglib is not compatible with the PSS or any other analysis?
>
> I am designing a high frequency oscillator with the help of tline but the Spectre is not accepting the tline as the suitable resonator.

PSS analysis does not support distributed components or components with hidden state. The difficulty with distributed components results from the fact that the state of a distributed component is a waveform, not a simple number, as with capacitors and inductors. To know the state of a distributed component, it is necessary to know the voltage and current along the whole length of the component. The sensitivity of the final state with respect to the initial state would be an infinite dimensional matrix. All of this greatly complicates the shooting method. This limitation prevents the use of ideal delays, transmission lines, microstrip lines, and nports with the PSS analysis.

Reference - Spectre Circuit Simulator RF Analysis Theory 16.1