Skill - basic book

ricard...@gmail.com

Sep 25, 2008, 7:25:52 AM9/25/08
Hello all,

I want to start using skill but when I try to find some book to
beginners it's very hard to find or they don't exist.

i.e. if I want a basic for C++ or other programming language it's easy
to find but for skill ....

I can find on my Cadence directory some information, but it seems that
I can use this when I have some knowledge because before this it's
impossible.

If someone could help me?

Best Regards,
Ricardo

Jean-Marc Bourguet

Sep 25, 2008, 8:21:15 AM9/25/08
ricard...@gmail.com writes:

> I want to start using skill but when I try to find some book to beginners
> it's very hard to find or they don't exist.
>
> i.e. if I want a basic for C++ or other programming language it's easy to
> find but for skill ....
>
> I can find on my Cadence directory some information, but it seems that I
> can use this when I have some knowledge because before this it's
> impossible.

There is the skill user guide ($CDS_INST_DIR/doc/sklanguser/sklanguser.pdf)
and reference manual (doc/sklangref/sklangref.pdf) and then per tools you
have an additional manual describing the skill interface. There is also
some educational material used for the formations organized by Cadence, but
I don't think it is available outside them.

Skill is quite a generic lisp accepting *also* an alternative syntax (some
infix operators, parenthesis after instead of before symbols), so you can
use any educational material for lisp (for instance,
http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/, but there is quite more in that book than an
intro to scheme) -- prefer Scheme to Common Lisp, IIRC the differences
between skill and scheme are documented in the reference manual I cited
above.

Yours,

--
Jean-Marc

Riad KACED

Sep 25, 2008, 12:48:02 PM9/25/08
Hi Ricardo,

You won't find any skill book on the market I'm afraid. The Cadence
'books' are good enough for you to get started and you can get them
for free, assuming you've got the cadence tools.
To start with, the manuals as advised by Jean-Marc are good enough for
you. Otherwise, you can give a look at the following link where the
most commonly used books are mentioned.
http://cadence.wikispaces.com/Documentation+index

Besides, your cadence installation comes with loads of little skill
examples that you can find in $CDSHOME/tools/dfII/samples/*.

I would advice the Skill training as well, we learn loads of things in
that course. You will be more productive, that was what I've said to
my boss to get the money out of him ;-) And it was not a lie !

This forum is a very good source to learn as well. Plenty of scripts
are lying down here. Being a bit nosy and curious is rather an
advantage in this case I would say. Don't hesitate to google it.

Please bear in mind that Skill is a Cadence's proprietary language for
its own IC tools, nothing to do with C++ or any other public widely
spread programming languages.

Enjoy skill anyway !
Cheers,
Riad.

Pete nospam Zakel

Sep 25, 2008, 4:27:55 PM9/25/08

>Please bear in mind that Skill is a Cadence's proprietary language for
>its own IC tools, nothing to do with C++ or any other public widely
>spread programming languages.

Skill was originally derived from Franz Lisp, so a LISP reference is a good
start for basics.

As far as advanced Skill topics (Common Lisp, Scheme, etc.) I don't know much
about that, but a basic LISP primer is a good way to start.

-Pete Zakel
(p...@seeheader.nospam)

"The more you observe politics, the more you've got to admit that each party
is worse than the other."
-Will Rogers

None

Oct 2, 2008, 9:14:25 AM10/2/08

I'm currently working with skill language. Can you tell me why you
need to learn skill language. I have a ppt which explains you clearly
the basics of skill language.

Regads,
Jagadeesh.

sivakris...@gmail.com

Sep 26, 2017, 2:29:16 PM9/26/17
I am a layout engineer in vlsi industry.
I have only 6 months of experience.
All my collegues and batchmates also learning the skill code, but i am finding difficult to learn it.
Could you please send some pdf and books for learning it easily.