file viewer

Erik Wanta

Nov 20, 2002, 10:49:00 PM11/20/02
While debugging a problem, I was using Simulation->Netlist->Display.
What is the story with this file viewer? The search is painful, I
can't cut and
paste easily (I have to highlight everything but the last character).
This is the same window you get with the view("filename") command.
How do I tell Cadence to use a usable text editor to view files? I
set
editor="emacs" and I can use that for veriloga editing, but viewing
the netlist still brings up this horrid text viewer.
---
Erik

Bernd Fischer

Nov 21, 2002, 7:21:20 AM11/21/02
The netlist is stored in your simulation directory as file
"input.scs".

<simulation_dir>/<cell>/<simulator>/schematic/netlist/input.scs

You can use ever text editor you want to view it.

Bernd

Erik Wanta

Nov 21, 2002, 3:11:10 PM11/21/02
Bernd:
I have the following to open up an xterm in the netlist directory and
do exactly that:
procedure(gotonetlistdir()
let((current_session netlist_directory top_cellview currentWorkingDir)
;get current session
current_session = asiGetCurrentSession()

;get netlist directory
netlist_directory = asiGetNetlistDir(current_session)

;get top cellview
top_cellview = asiGetTopCellView(current_session)

;goto the netlist directory in a new xterm
currentWorkingDir=getWorkingDir()
changeWorkingDir(netlist_directory)
system(sprintf(nil "xterm -title \"%s\" &" top_cellview~>cellName))
changeWorkingDir(currentWorkingDir)

) ; let
) ; procedure

I guess I could overload the Simulation->Netlist->Display function to
open up the netlist with my editor. Simulation->Netlist->Display was
just an example. I run into this Cadence file viewer all the time
(when Cadence utilities dump to a file they do a view("file")). Do
you know a way that I can globally set the text viewer to something
else?
----
Erik

Andrew Beckett

Nov 21, 2002, 4:17:56 PM11/21/02
Erik,

The trouble is that the viewer is really intended for applications
which need to be able to programmatically respond to selections in the
viewer.

To look at a netlist however, you don't need all this and would be
better off with a hook into your favourite editor.

So, I agree entirely. This is a real pain. I'd love to be able to use something
other than the inbuilt viewer, but currently this isn't possible (at least
not without some serious hacking...)

I'll check the PCRs, and see if we're doing anything about this. I hope
so...

Regards,

Andrew.

--
Andrew Beckett
Senior Technical Leader

Bernd Fischer

Nov 22, 2002, 6:04:24 AM11/22/02
> Do you know a way that I can globally set the text viewer to something
> else?

No/Yes the way you do this is with
editor = t_editorName
This is the way you specify the global used editor, but this works only
for editing files as technology files, verilog cell views etc. not
for viewing/displaying them.

Your procedure seems to me a little bit overloaded, to what you want to
do.
I would suggest:
1. Set your gloabel DFII editor in the .cdsinit file
editor = t_editorName
e.g.
editor = "nedit" or editor = "xemacs" etc.

2. Use the following line of SKILL code to edit your netlist.

edit( strcat( asiGetNetlistDir( asiGetCurrentSession( ) ) "/input.scs" )

> I guess I could overload the Simulation->Netlist->Display function to
> open up the netlist with my editor.

You can do this, but as Andrew said not without a little bit
hacking and not global only just for every menu entry.
If you want to do that for only for the 'Netlist->Display' menu come back to
me and I can explain you how.

Bernd

joeyao0...@gmail.com

Nov 8, 2016, 8:57:10 AM11/8/16
在 2002年11月22日星期五 UTC+8上午4:11:10,Erik Wanta写道:
Thanks Erik, your code is very helpful.