which version of CAD to learn?

Gretchen Herbkersman

Apr 20, 1993, 10:34:17 AM4/20/93
I am posting this for a friend who has no access to computers
just now. He is an automotive engineer who wants to learn to
use CAD. Which CAD package is considered "best" for auto-
motive design? Are there any other factors (e.g., operating
system, platform) which he should consider when choosing a
class?

Please reply to gret...@bofa.com

Many thanks.

Thomas Arneberg {x66642 CF/DEV}

Apr 20, 1993, 12:28:25 PM4/20/93
In article <1993Apr20....@BofA.com> gret...@BofA.COM (Gretchen Herbkersman) writes:
>I am posting this for a friend who has no access to computers
>just now. He is an automotive engineer who wants to learn to
>use CAD. Which CAD package is considered "best" for auto-
>motive design? Are there any other factors (e.g., operating
>system, platform) which he should consider when choosing a
>class?

He may like Cadence quite a bit, since the symbol that represents a
function name can have a property called "autoload."

Better yet, the Skill primitive function to return the first element of
a list is called "car()."

(Darn, I just looked at my calendar -- I'm 19 days late! ;-)

- Tom A. (Note: return address above is broken; should be "to...@cray.com")
---------------------------------------------+------------------------------
;-) I'd rather be ____ Thomas R. Arneberg | Internet: to...@cray.com
:-) singing in a |____| MPP IC Design Group | UUCP: ...!uunet!cray!toma
:-) Barbershop _| _| Cray Research, Inc. |
:-) Quartet! (_) (_) Chippewa Falls, Wisc.| #include <std_disclaimer.h>
---------------------------------------------+------------------------------

Wallace Venable

Apr 20, 1993, 4:15:46 PM4/20/93

>I am posting this for a friend who has no access to computers
>just now. He is an automotive engineer who wants to learn to
>use CAD. Which CAD package is considered "best" for auto-
>motive design? Are there any other factors (e.g., operating
>system, platform) which he should consider when choosing a
>class?

"Best" package is not necessarily a good choice.
Ideally he should learn the one which is used by the company for
which he will be working.
If he "just wants to learn CAD," them pick a "cheap" 3-D package.

Thomas Arneberg {x66642 CF/DEV}

Apr 20, 1993, 12:28:25 PM4/20/93
In article <1993Apr20....@BofA.com> gret...@BofA.COM (Gretchen Herbkersman) writes:
>I am posting this for a friend who has no access to computers
>just now. He is an automotive engineer who wants to learn to
>use CAD. Which CAD package is considered "best" for auto-
>motive design? Are there any other factors (e.g., operating
>system, platform) which he should consider when choosing a
>class?

He may like Cadence quite a bit, since the symbol that represents a

Gary Truemner

May 4, 1993, 7:44:20 PM5/4/93
In article <1993Apr20.112826&2t...@walter.cray.com>, toma@baritone (Thomas

Arneberg {x66642 CF/DEV}) wrote:

> In article <1993Apr20....@BofA.com> gret...@BofA.COM (Gretchen Herbkersman) writes:
> >I am posting this for a friend who has no access to computers
> >just now. He is an automotive engineer who wants to learn to
> >use CAD. Which CAD package is considered "best" for auto-
> >motive design?

_______if he is submitting designs, than his finished drawing format
whether DXG,TIFF, IGES etc. will have to be translated to what ever that
company uses.
Although, AUTOCAD is common on lower end PC computers(common); other
CAD packages ie Ashlar Vellym actually works on other computers such as
UNIX machines or MacIntosh, while AUTOCAD only tries to work.
AutoCAD is expensive and very hard to learn, unless you are doing
CAD FULL time...not friendly...not cheap....THUS try a lower end package on
486 PC...in other words; use something that you can draw with...with out
thinking CAD first then the design idea...after a year of AutoCAD you may
be able to think design first......

In my case, I use ClarisCAD on a MacIntosh...$800.package which I learned
to use in a few weeks...even though I am not full time user...ClarisCAD
includes CGT sfwe. which translates to DXF(AutoCAD) or IGES...with some
minor help...

SO,,some answers...I hope they match with your questions.....email me
Please.

THANKS......_/_/_/ True...@ice6.kcps.rd.hydro.on.ca _/ _/
_/ _/ RE:NEVER ENDING STORY."avoid the NOTHING" _/_/_/
_/_/_/ (416)207 6380.FAX:237 9285.Candu.R&D.CANADA _/ _/