Newbie with bus width mismatch problem. Quartus II

PeterK

Apr 10, 2007, 6:39:48 AM4/10/07
Dear Altera experts,

My very first project is a PWM in Quartus II 7.0. I've drawn up a block
diagram with a 17 bit lpm_counter going into a 5 bit lpm_compare. All I want
is the top five bits of the counter to go into the comparator. After several
days of trying I still have no idea how to split the 17 bits to just use the
top five bits. With a normal bus connection it compiles with a Width
mismatch error.

Peter

Subroto Datta

Apr 10, 2007, 10:30:30 AM4/10/07
Hi Peter,

Draw a bus wire extending from the out of the counter and give it a name
like counteroutput[17..0]. Draw another separate wire going into the
lpm_compare and give it the name counteroutput[17..13]. They will be
connected correctly by the extractor.

Hope this helps,
Subroto Datta
Altera Corp.

"PeterK" <mel...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Mark McDougall

Apr 10, 2007, 8:33:30 PM4/10/07
PeterK wrote:

Prediction: One day you'll be *sooooo* sick of trying to maintain
schematics that you'll bite the bullet and start to learn VHDL/Verilog...

Regards,

--
Mark McDougall, Engineer
21-25 King St, Rockdale, 2216

PeterK

Apr 11, 2007, 4:33:49 AM4/11/07
"Mark McDougall" <ma...@vl.com.au> wrote in message

I think that you might be right. I haven't yet learned how to integrate the
stuff I've learned in "Circuit Design with VHDL"
with the Altera block schematics.
Up until this month I mostly did C++ programming
using emacs in a shell window. Then I got handed a NIOS II devkit and
a September delivery deadline. At least "Fisher Price - My First PWM" now
works many thanks to Subroto.

Peter