CommonJS utility module standardization

Oleg Podsechin

Oct 6, 2011, 8:49:19 AM10/6/11
to comm...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

I'd like to see a number of pure JavaScript utility modules standardized as part of the CommonJS effort. From talking to Ondrej of v8cgi fame and others I feel that I'm not the only one.

The first step would involve identifying the order in which we should tackle these modules. To help us get there, I've created a poll at http://polldaddy.com/poll/5562097/

If this is something you're interested in, please vote for five modules you'd like to see standardized. Once we have enough votes, I'd be happy to write the drafts (one per module) on the wiki with your help.

I can also put together a reference, pure JS implementation of the modules at https://github.com/olegp/common-utils Each platform could choose to use that as is, or implement native versions that conform to the standard.

This would pave the way for truly cross JS platform packages and decrease fragmentation. I personally am really looking forward to having https://github.com/hns/stick running on http://olegp.github.com/common-node/

Regards,
Oleg