Javascript

Olexiy Lytvynenko

Dec 6, 2016, 6:18:16 AM12/6/16
to Common Crawl
Hello,

I'd like to know, whether Common Crawl applies some Javascript engine in the crawling process to deal with dynamic content.
Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Alex

Sebastian Nagel

Dec 6, 2016, 9:39:29 AM12/6/16
to common...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex,

no, it does not.

It would complicate the crawling, not only because of the execution of Javascript,
but also to hold all required libraries and dependencies to avoid that they
are refetched again with every HTML page.

The same problem appears on the other side when a page is read from the WARC archives.
The WARC simply archives the HTTP traffic between crawler and server(s),
but a dynamic page is composed of multiple requests and responses which may
not necessarily end up in the same WARC file.

Of course, there are many good reasons why a crawler should take dynamic content into
account...

Best,
Sebastian