URL Index for a single page

Aline Bessa

Feb 25, 2015, 7:33:40 PM2/25/15
to common...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I wish I could use the Common Crawl Index (https://github.com/trivio/common_crawl_index) to crawl specific URLs, and not entire domains. Do you know if this is possible?

Thanks

Tom Morris

Feb 26, 2015, 12:43:38 PM2/26/15
to common...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 7:33 PM, Aline Bessa <ali...@gmail.com> wrote:
I wish I could use the Common Crawl Index (https://github.com/trivio/common_crawl_index) to crawl specific URLs, and not entire domains. Do you know if this is possible?

That's supposed to work, modulo the other known problems with the index.  What issues are you having?  What are you trying to search for?

Tom

Aline Bessa

Feb 26, 2015, 6:12:55 PM2/26/15
to common...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, I realized it works, but we have to invert the domain. Is there a standard way to do it? Are all URLs inverted in the same way?

Thanks!!

Stephen Merity

Feb 26, 2015, 6:28:32 PM2/26/15
to common...@googlegroups.com
Hi Aline,

I thought I'd just mention one limitation of the URL index. The URL Index is an amazing resource, created by talented volunteers who are keen on open source and open data, that will work for searching over older crawl archives. Being volunteers, they could only donate so much time to it and it has not been updated to work with recent crawls. We're working on building a new team of volunteers to work on it.

Regards,
Stephen Merity
Data Scientist @ Common Crawl