Having Trouble working on Common Crawl Data

Gopika Bhardwaj

Jun 28, 2017, 7:06:33 AM6/28/17
to Common Crawl
Could someone share python code for extracting plain-text data from the wet files ?

Until now, I manually downloaded a wet.paths.gz document and downloaded the .wet file by appending path from the wet.paths.gz document to https://commoncrawl.s3.amazonaws.com/...

After collecting the data, I intend to apply a topic model, the Latent Dirichlet Allocation on the data.
I am unable to code a python script that input from a file.
Can someone help me with that as well?

Thanks

Sebastian Nagel

Jun 28, 2017, 7:34:14 AM6/28/17
to common...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

here a minimal solution based on warcio [1] adapted from [2]:

import sys
from warcio.archiveiterator import ArchiveIterator, ArchiveLoadFailed

for filename in sys.argv[1:]:
try:
stream = open(filename, 'rb')
except IOError as exception:
sys.stderr.write('Failed to read {}: {}\n'.format(filename, exception))
continue
try:
for record in ArchiveIterator(stream):
if (record.rec_type == 'conversion' and
record.content_type == 'text/plain'):
text = record.content_stream().read().decode('utf-8')
print(text)
except ArchiveLoadFailed as exception:
sys.stderr.write('Failed to process WARC file {}: {}\n'.format(
filename, exception))

% python3 wet2text.py
crawl-data/CC-MAIN-2017-13/segments/1490218186353.38/wet/CC-MAIN-20170322212946-00000-ip-10-233-31-227.ec2.internal.warc.wet.gz
| head -3
~たまに撮れる瞬間を求めて~ SL
~たまに撮れる瞬間を求めて~
塩分控えめ…