Any interest in running Apache Tika as part of CommonCrawl?

talliso...@gmail.com

Apr 3, 2015, 8:23:11 AM4/3/15
to common...@googlegroups.com, matt...@apache.org, tall...@apache.org, dme...@apache.org, til...@apache.org, ni...@apache.org
CommonCrawl currently has the WET format that extracts plain text from web pages.  My guess is that this is text stripping from text-y formats.  Let me know if I'm wrong!

Would there be any interest in adding another format: WETT (WET-Tika) or supplementing the current WET by using Tika to extract contents from binary formats too: PDF, MSWord, etc.

Julien Nioche kindly carved out 220 GB for us to experiment with on TIKA-1302 on a Rackspace vm.  But, I'm wondering now if it would make more sense to have CommonCrawl run Tika as part of its regular process and make the output available in one of your standard formats.

CommonCrawl consumers would get Tika output, and the Tika dev community (including its dependencies, PDFBox, POI, etc.) could get the stacktraces to help prioritize bug fixes.

Cheers,

          Tim

Stephen Merity

Apr 7, 2015, 3:57:34 AM4/7/15
to common...@googlegroups.com, matt...@apache.org, tall...@apache.org, dme...@apache.org, til...@apache.org, ni...@apache.org
Hi Tika team!

We'd certainly be interested in working with Apache Tika on such an undertaking. At the very least, we're glad that Julien has provided you with content to battle test Tika with!

As you've noted, the text extraction performed to produce WET files are focused primarily on HTML files, leaving many other file types not covered. The existing text extraction is quite efficient and part of the same process that generates the WAT file, meaning there's next to no overhead. Performing extraction with Tika at the scale of Common Crawl would be an interesting challenge. Running it as a once off wouldn't likely be too much of a challenge and would also give Tika the benefit of a wider variety of documents (both well formed and malformed) to test against. Running it on a frequent basis or as part of the crawl pipeline would be more challenging but something we can certainly discuss, especially if there's strong community desire for it!

Regards,
Stephen Merity
Data Scientist @ Common Crawl

Allison, Timothy B.

Apr 7, 2015, 8:38:50 AM4/7/15
to Stephen Merity, common...@googlegroups.com

Stephen,

  Thank you very much for responding so quickly and for all of your work on Common Crawl.  I don’t want to speak for all of us, but given the feedback I’ve gotten so far from some of the dev communities, I think we would very much appreciate the chance to be tested on a monthly basis as part of the regular Common Crawl process.

   I think we’ll still want to run more often in our own sandbox(es) on the slice of CommonCrawl we have, but the monthly testing against new data, from my perspective at least, would be a huge win for all of us.

   In addition to parsing binaries and extracting text, Tika (via PDFBox, POI and many others) can also offer metadata (e.g. exif from images), which users of CommonCrawl might find of use.

  I’ll forward this to some of the relevant dev lists to invite others to participate in the discussion on the common-crawl list.

  Thank you, again.  I very much look forward to collaborating.

             Best,

                         Tim

talliso...@gmail.com

Jul 5, 2017, 9:21:30 AM7/5/17
to Common Crawl, matt...@apache.org, tall...@apache.org, dme...@apache.org, til...@apache.org, ni...@apache.org, wastl...@googlemail.com
Thanks to Sebastian Nagel and the Common Crawl team, Common Crawl is now running Apache Tika for file type id!

AMAZING!  Thank you!