Common Crawl enhancements to Nutch

Peter Dietz

Mar 10, 2015, 2:39:02 PM3/10/15
to common...@googlegroups.com
I've noticed that the blog post for Common Crawl mentions that they are using nutch to power the crawler. I was wondering if there was a list of enhancements that you have made to nutch (i.e. plugins) to help steer the crawler in the right direction. A different blog post from common crawl says "We use shingling and simhash to do fuzzy deduping of the content we download", I didn't know if this intelligent processing of your content, and nutch are combined, or if it is some post-processing step.

Thanks

Stephen Merity

Mar 12, 2015, 5:26:46 AM3/12/15
to common...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter,

The Common Crawl modifications are all publicly viewable at our nutch repository on GitHub. Unfortunately there isn't a clean list of features that we've added. Whilst the modifications were done by Jordan Mendelson, I'll do my best to list some of the major additions / changes.

+ HTTPS support (since implemented on the mainline Nutch branch)
+ The Craw List Generator adds support for sorting according to a numeric ranking [each crawl list prioritizes crawling of the highest ranked pages first]
+ Avoiding rename due to the expense of renaming in S3 (S3 implements it via a copy), such as updating the crawl database results in a new copy identified by timestamp rather replacing the "current" folder
+ WARC export from the internal Nutch format
+ Adaptive crawl delay for hosts that experience issues

The fuzzy deduping is no longer being done as that was part of the older custom platform before moving to Nutch.

I hope that helps give you a broad overview of the kind of changes!

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 11:39 AM, Peter Dietz <pe...@longsight.com> wrote:
I've noticed that the blog post for Common Crawl mentions that they are using nutch to power the crawler. I was wondering if there was a list of enhancements that you have made to nutch (i.e. plugins) to help steer the crawler in the right direction. A different blog post from common crawl says "We use shingling and simhash to do fuzzy deduping of the content we download", I didn't know if this intelligent processing of your content, and nutch are combined, or if it is some post-processing step.

Thanks

Regards,
Stephen Merity
Data Scientist @ Common Crawl

Tom Morris

Mar 12, 2015, 10:07:07 AM3/12/15
to common...@googlegroups.com
It looks like a couple of years since it's been synced with the Nutch mainline.  Have they diverged permanently at this point?

Tom