URL Search Tool is down

Maximilian Böhm

Aug 10, 2016, 5:54:34 AM8/10/16
to Common Crawl
Hi there,

I am currently dealing with the issue to recover a page for a friend which needs it for her bachelor thesis.

Other sources (Google, Waybackmachine) do not have it in their index (anymore).

Anyhow, I found the post http://commoncrawl.org/2013/03/url-search-tool/ which refers to http://urlsearch.commoncrawl.org/. But I only get a "502 - Bad Gateway".

Is this on purpose? Are there plans to bring it back? Might be helpful for others if there would be an update to this blog post.

Thank you!

Best regards
Max Böhm

PS.: I've have worked around and downloaded all index files. But still does not find the required pages. I would be happy for any support. There is a thread on SO: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/38869741/commoncrawl-how-to-find-a-specific-web-page

Sebastian Nagel

Aug 10, 2016, 6:09:00 AM8/10/16
to common...@googlegroups.com
Hi Maximilian,

> http://urlsearch.commoncrawl.org/

Yes, this service is down and it is unclear whether we are able (with reasonable effort)
to bring it back again.

There is a new URL index to the Common Crawl data released since end of 2014
available at http://index.commoncrawl.org/

> PS.: I've have worked around and downloaded all index files. But still does not find the required
pages.
> I would be happy for any support. There is a thread on
> SO: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/38869741/commoncrawl-how-to-find-a-specific-web-page

I'll answer on SO later, here the very short answer: you can query index.commoncrawl.org, e.g.,
http://index.commoncrawl.org/CC-MAIN-2016-30-index?url=thesun.co.uk&matchType=domain
(there is a link where the query syntax is explained)

Best,
Sebastian