Import cases problem

Simon Berry

Nov 3, 2015, 4:42:51 PM11/3/15
to commcare-users
I am trying to set a property to --- for selected cases and I'm using an amended, 'cut down' case export to do this.

After importing the case importer reports that cases have been imported but when I re-export the cases the property has not been cleared (set to ---). They have the same values as they did before the import.

A funny thing happens when I specify the import and I wonder if this is part of the problem. The Excel field name is d.location_retailer but this name is not available from the property dropdown menu. The closest is: dlocation_retailer (without the period). In fact all property names with a period in them appear with the period missing in the dropdown.

Help!

Cory Zue

Nov 4, 2015, 2:56:19 AM11/4/15
to commcar...@googlegroups.com
Hey Simon,

Periods are not allowed in case property names. It sounds like that is definitely part of the problem, and it may be a UX issue on our side if we're not properly telling you that on import.

Could you try with a set of property names that don't have periods in them and let us know if that fixes it for you?

thanks,
Cory

Simon Berry

Nov 4, 2015, 9:45:42 AM11/4/15
to commcar...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the response. I have never used periods in property names. They seem to be system generated. Many of the property names that I specified when building the App now have 'd.' In front of them in case exports.

Simon

Apologies if this message is a bit cryptic, it was sent from my phone.

Simon Berry
counterpart project manager | KYTS Project
ceo and founder | ColaLife
skype: sxberry
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "commcare-users" group.

Sheel Shah

Nov 4, 2015, 11:37:15 AM11/4/15
to commcar...@googlegroups.com
Hi Simon,

On the case export page, I would recommend creating a new custom export to download the data - this should give you correctly named columns.

When importing data using the case importer, you can also use the dropdowns to match columns in your Excel sheet to known case properties (so they don't need to be named exactly the same).

Thanks,
Sheel
Sheel Shah
Project Manager | Dimagi
m: +1.781.428.5419 | skype: sheel_shah

Simon Berry

Nov 5, 2015, 12:10:33 PM11/5/15
to commcare-users
Hi Sheel

Creating a custom export was a great tip. Things make much more sense now!

I'm pretty sure that creating a case import from a pared down and modified custom export will work.

Thanks

Simon