Need help creating an attendance application

Dhruv Arora

Feb 15, 2016, 5:22:39 AM2/15/16
to commcare-users
Hi All,

I hope someone here is able to help me. I am trying to create a mobile application for attendance of various groups of students on CommCare. I have set up each student as an individual case, and have created a form. Now, in the form, I have asked for information like District, Session type. What I need is for the 4th question to pull a list of all students that match the entered criteria (district name, session name etc.) in the form of a multiple choice question, and give the application user an option to simply "tick" the names of everyone from the list present in the class.

Can someone please assist me on how I can pull this off? Specifically, I need help with:
  1. How do I pull the relevant names of the students into a multiple choice list?
  2. Once I am done with this, and the attendance is recorded, how will this attendance be stored?
Thank you for taking the time out to help me with this

Ameera Hamid

Feb 15, 2016, 5:30:28 AM2/15/16
to commcare-users
Hi Dhruv,

I have built an attendance app for our lecturers to capture attendance at the university.  Instead of creating a case for each student, I create a case for each day and each student as a case property of the day.  You could use a lookup table to to pull the relevant students into the multiple choice list. I then use the export cases to print out a report of the attendance for a semester or year. If you would like to skype to discuss how I set up our attendance app, I'd be happy to schedule out some time.

One more thing i would suggest; instead of having the tutor/teacher select who is present, have them select who is not present, as that is usually a lesser number of ticks.  You can then setup the calculation to add a 1 (for attended) if the name is not selected and 0 (for absent) if the name is selected.

Kindly,
Ameera

Dhruv Arora

Feb 15, 2016, 5:33:39 AM2/15/16
to commcar...@googlegroups.com
Dear Ameera,

Thank you so much for your quick response. If you would be available for a skype call, that would be fantastic and will help me get this working. Since this is the first commcare application I am creating, it would help me a lot to be able to go through the entire process with you.

What time works with you best?

Thank you,
Dhruv

Dhruv Arora

Dhruv Arora

Feb 15, 2016, 7:01:06 AM2/15/16
to commcar...@googlegroups.com
Dear Ameera,

If you don't mind, I had one quick question. When you say you create a case for each day, wouldn't that make the list of cases extremely high? Is there a way to automate this case creation process?