CommCare freezes while syncing in areas with poor network coverage

Julia de Kadt

Jul 13, 2015, 7:48:42 AM7/13/15
to commcar...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

One of our field teams has reported the following problem to me: When they are working in an area with poor network coverage, and they try to sync CommCare, sometimes CommCare freezes. When this happens, they are not able to exit CommCare, or stop the syncing process. This means that they are unable to use CommCare (even un-synced) for a number of hours, and sometimes as much as a full day. They report that this has been happening 1-2 times a week, for a period of a couple of months.

Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone have any solutions or workarounds?

Many thanks,
Julia

William Pride

Jul 13, 2015, 9:41:15 AM7/13/15
to commcar...@googlegroups.com
Julia,

This can often be indicative of some user's restore data being somehow corrupted or poorly formed, EG case blocks with references to non-existent cases. Could you report a bug on CommCareHQ with specific replication steps including affected users and domain so that we can take a closer look?

Thanks,
Will

Clayton Sims

Jul 13, 2015, 11:42:36 AM7/13/15
to commcare-users
Julia,

If you can follow up with Will we can look into the deeper cause here, but in the short term you should be able to force close the application from the Android apps menu to start using the app again. It sounds like an error is happening which results in the app missing the signal to stop spinning, so it shouldn't hurt anything to do so.

-Clayton

On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 7:48 AM, Julia de Kadt <jde...@gmail.com> wrote:

Julia de Kadt

Jul 14, 2015, 1:26:16 AM7/14/15
to commcar...@googlegroups.com
Dear Clayton & Will,

Thanks for the feedback! I will get a few more details from the team, and lot an issue on CommCare HQ.

Thanks also for the suggestion on how to handle this in the field - I will share this with the team.

Thank you!
Julia