Re: [DragonTwo] Launch Window Opens This Weekend

1 view

Dan Goldstein

Apr 10, 2015, 9:40:37 AM4/10/15
to Zach Zeman, columbia-g...@googlegroups.com
Hi Zach, and All!
  I am replying to this, and including the larger group as a way to bring other members and followers up to date on this cool project that Zach has been doing a great job of organizing.

  We are almost ready to launch our very own space ship (Ok, balloon ) to space!!! (Ok close to space..)

  Dan G.

On Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 12:26 AM, Zach Zeman <gamer...@gmail.com> wrote:
As we do not have adequate hardware to fill the balloon with hydrogen, this weekend's launch will be scrubbed. The increased cost of Helium along with the launch location finagling to deal with the forecasted conditions make it a poor last minute substitution. Dan and David will be working together to get everything we need ordered. Hopefully, we can get it all assembled next week.

I don't know when our next launch window will be. We're still aiming for weekends, but I will be unavailable next weekend (April 18th). Everyone is welcome to launch without me, if there is interest. Alternatively, we could attempt a launch on a weekday. I know this would require some heads up for days off, but it is an option. The most frightening option is to wait until the last weekend (April 25th) and hope that the weather is good for two launches. If none of this works, we can request an extension to remain in competition, but I'd prefer if it didn't come down to that.

Ultimately, I think it will depend on the filling system coming together next week and what the weather does. I'll keep you all posted as best I can.

-Zach

On Thu, Apr 9, 2015 at 5:21 PM, Zach Zeman <gamer...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,

The subsystem checklist is looking much better. Only a few things left to take care of before our first launch. Tonight I hope to finalize the layout of our capsule, get everything prepped, and make sure everyone is on the same page for the filling and launch procedure. We will also make a last-minute decision on whether or not we should switch to helium.

As for a Saturday launch, the prediction if we use hydrogen is looking pretty damn good. If we use helium, it gets too close to St Louis for my comfort. We can discuss this more tonight.

Thanks.

-Zach

On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 8:02 AM, David Vogler <acid.d...@gmail.com> wrote:

Just an update on the hydrogen. Praxair called me back and they do keep that in stock ready to just pickup. They did say, however, that it has a different fitting than the other tanks and they don't have any regulators that fit it. So we will have to buy one it seems. I will keep an eye open for compatible options.

-David

On Apr 6, 2015 17:49, "Zach Zeman" <gamer...@gmail.com> wrote:
This is your official reminder that the Launch Window for the GSBC is going to be from April 10-27th. We hope to perform at least two launches in that period, so we need to hurry down the homestretch to get everything ready in time.

I have put together a spreadsheet that lists the required subsystems and their states of preparedness. This status is based on my "last I heard" information and will change.

GO means that the system can be ready for launch within an hour.
PARTIAL GO means the system can be ready in an hour, but not in an ideal state.
NO GO means that the system is not prepared for launch.

Right now, the flight predictions for this weekend indicate that the balloon would land somewhere near the Illinois/Missouri border north of St. Louis. I think that this would be workable, but if the landing site gets too close to the St. Louis metro area, I don't think it would be safe to launch. We will keep an eye on this, though, and hopefully we can maximize the time we have for launches.

Thanks, and please let me know if you have any questions.

-Zach

--
"There is nobody in this country who got rich on his own. Nobody. You built a factory   out there - good for you.

But I want to be clear. You moved your goods to market on the roads the rest of us paid for. You hired workers the rest of us paid to educate. You were safe in your factory because of the police forces and the fire forces that the rest of us paid for. You didn't have to worry that marauding bands would come and seize everything at your factory...

Now look. You built a factory and it turned into something terrific or a great idea - God bless! Keep a big hunk of it. But part of the underlying social contract is you take a hunk of that and you pay forward for the next kid who comes along."
- Elizabeth Warren (Sept. 2011)