Fieser's Foundry

Jim A. Fieser

May 15, 2016, 2:52:52 PM5/15/16
to columbia-g...@googlegroups.com

My kids and I melted 20+ soda cans and some other aluminum in our bucket foundry last night.  Then we stuck a styrofoam ball in sand & made a path in the sand to the ball.  The styrofoam evaporated as we poured in the molten metal and we are left with this Aluminum ball, soon to be a gear shift knob.

Better sand will improve the finish. I would be glad to pour a CGW logo if someone could 3D print one that is practically hollow, we would need to keep the volume of plastic to a minimum. The exterior surfaces just need to keep the sand out.

Jim

20160515_133632.png

Brad Collette

May 15, 2016, 4:53:09 PM5/15/16
to CGW
You can also greatly improve your surface finish by dipping the styrofoam in drywall compound mixed very thin.  Best stuff I've found is the stuff they spray on ceiling with the texture agent screened out.

Jim

--

---

Brad Collette