Something up with 3d printer

Scott Kovaleski

Jan 18, 2015, 3:40:12 PM1/18/15
to Apple Inc.
Hey guys, I was just in the shop and it looked like some changes have been made to the 3d printer (different steppers, different arduino). Was wondering what was up?

Scott Kovaleski
scott.k...@gmail.com

Scott

Jan 22, 2015, 5:25:43 PM1/22/15
to columbia-g...@googlegroups.com
Hey, thought maybe this was missed when I sent it on Sunday, so I am reposting. I noticed the there is a new arduino and new stepper drivers hooked up to the 3D printer. I was wondering if there were problems with the original devices?

Zach Zeman

Jan 22, 2015, 6:17:35 PM1/22/15
to columbia-g...@googlegroups.com
Sorry! I meant to respond to this on Sunday but I got caught up in a project and forgot.

In short, yes. There were problems with the other devices. This was in the 1-2 weeks leading up to Christmas. After we got the power supply for the print bed installed, the Pronterface wasn't recognizing the printer. I did some googling, and most results for how the LEDs were blinking indicated either a bad Arduino or insufficient power. I brought in my Arduino Mega to test with, and Brad helped me find and setup the firmware for RAMPS (because I was having zero luck on the Makergear support pages). We got it recognized and working, except for the X axis and the extruder. I need to print a component for my dad's gift, so I spent a couple days troubleshooting before I found that those stepper drivers weren't working. I ordered a set of 5 off Amazon to get the print I needed.

I don't know what happened to the hardware. When I removed the extruder's stepper driver, the heat sink fell off, and the thermal compound felt like powder. I didn't notice any obvious problem with the X-axis driver or the Mega, though.

-Zach

--

---