Broken links and missing updates in the classic colorhug tools.

o.sch...@ultimaker.com

Dec 30, 2017, 9:24:42 AM12/30/17
to colorhug-users
Hi,

I've been trying to get the colorhug to work for the past 2 months without success, trying various machines and with/without the LiveCD/stick.

Most notably was the fact that both under debian stretch and fedora 26/27 colorhugd kept failing with an invalid read cmd=0x36 (get-remote-hash). Now this bug was fixed in 2.0.7 apparently, so it seems to work now using this firmware.

In my journey to get to the 2.0.7 firmware, I went through quite some hurdles however.

* Nowhere obvious on the colorhug2 website is it states HOW to update the firmware (and if it does, it refers to the classic tools such as those from the liveCD). E.G. colorhug-flash.
* When using colorhug-flash it states there are no newer versions available 2.0.6 is the latest. We all know that's a lie ;)
* When updating to 2.0.7, colorhug-flash segfaults.
* In a post I found that to potentially solve the invalid read problem, I should try updating the calibration matrix, but that fails with a 404 or similar error (/downloads/..../serialnumberfile).
* Also colorhug-ccmx segfaults with firmware 2.0.7
* After googling I found https://fwupd.org/users on how to use the generic fwupd tools (a hint from the aforementioned post) but fwupd isn't a tool on fedora, its fwupdmgr, naming and all that, I get that.
* Finding the instructions on https://fwupd.org/users I find they are incorrect (for fedora27). A package, colorhugals is mentioned, which doesn't exist, and thus gnome can't update the firmware automatically. Involving fwupdmgr update fixes this, but not even from the users page, figuring it out via --help.
* With the segfaults in all the classic colorhug tools, colorhug-refresh also doesn't work. What is the fix to that?

Now, obviously I figured it out and moved on ;) but it was quite a hurdle to get working, which I was a little disappointing with, as I expected it to 'just work (tm)'

win...@gmail.com

Jun 3, 2018, 3:28:07 AM6/3/18
to colorhug-users
Hey,

found this out for my ColorHug 1:

colorhug-cmd get-firmware-version
0.1.2

colorhug-cmd flash-firmware firmware.bin
WARNING: Do not shutdown the computer or unplug the device.
Auf das Gerät jetzt aufspielen? [N/y] y
INFO: Flashing was successful.

colorhug-cmd get-firmware-version
1.2.6