Using colorhug to create a plot of grayscale values vrs cd/m².

cir...@gmail.com

Feb 28, 2017, 4:06:16 PM2/28/17
to colorhug-users
Hi,
I'm looking to create a plot comparing grayscale values 0~255 to cd/m² as measured by a colorhug2.

Making the testpattern is easy with Argyll:

Argyll_V1.9.2\bin>dispwin -d 2 -f
Val = 0.000000
Val = 0.003922
Val = 0.007843
Val = 0.011...

Also, the software is capable of reading brightness:

Argyll_V1.9.2\bin>dispcal -y e -v -R -d 2
Setting up the instrument
Serial Number:     003310
Firmware Version:  2.0.3
Place instrument on test window.
Hit Esc or Q to give up, any other key to continue:
patch 3 of 3
patch 17 of 17
Uncalibrated response:
Black level = 0.1861 cd/m^2
50%   level = 32.05 cd/m^2
White level = 99.20 cd/m^2
Aprox. gamma = 1.63
Contrast ratio = 533:1...

Any idea on how to combine these?  Ideally I'd like to run a script and measure cd/m^2 for each grayscale level that the display can show.

Zis E

Mar 1, 2017, 11:41:39 AM3/1/17
to colorhug-users
It isn't an exact match (only 20 points, gui not scripted), but this tool which uses ArgyII can generate a nice luminance graph which is good enough for my purposes.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/hcfr/?source=typ_redirect

The latest version (3.4.2) seems to have an off-by-one error on the pattern generation, but an older version (3.3.7) works nicely.

Now happily calibrating panel drive electronics :)

Thanks,
cirthix